Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 89
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

  1. #16
    Senior Member locatethis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    238
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    I saw the first USIC truck in my area today, now that they own CLS. My what a handsom truck! I'm wondering if they plan to replace all the rainbow riders with the USIC logo?

  2. #17
    Senior Member Paint'n & Flag'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    chill'n n illnois
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Id like to know difference in morale compared between the union offices and non union. So you boys in the south let us know how its like? You can see what its like in a non union office.

  3. #18
    Senior Member FiosKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Way North
    Posts
    254
    Years of Experience
    100
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    we are not union... the contract we have has been pushing us locators to unionize (the utility)... i have been asked many times by these guys if i want to be unionized... my response is: "hell no i make more money with alot less problems then a union" i then sit there while he explains how im wrong ect... i then tell him why do i want to pay out of my paycheck each week for a BS union contract which cant help me what so ever
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

  4. #19
    Member nuffsenuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    63
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by FiosKing View Post
    we are not union... the contract we have has been pushing us locators to unionize (the utility)... i have been asked many times by these guys if i want to be unionized... my response is: "hell no i make more money with alot less problems then a union" i then sit there while he explains how im wrong ect... i then tell him why do i want to pay out of my paycheck each week for a BS union contract which cant help me what so ever
    Well personally each union is different but 1 thing I would love to see is the horsecrap excuse "the economy is bad" but we can buy a fleet of 4 cylinder POS trucks and GPS for everyone after we keep your raises and incentives and oncall pay" fly when they have to answer to someone else about why they want to increase our health premiums and cover less with higher deductables and not give cost of living increases to employees! Yah unions do that for it's members!

  5. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    u.p
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    well im a newbie and an looking for ward to working in the busy field .. lol ... but then again in 6 months i might have a diffent opion on the subject lol ...
    p.s . the usic training classes are intense !!

  6. #21
    Senior Member sprayandpray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by cheaprides View Post
    well im a newbie and an looking for ward to working in the busy field .. lol ... but then again in 6 months i might have a diffent opion on the subject lol ...
    p.s . the usic training classes are intense !!
    If you think training is intense wait until you get in the field!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !


    It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !


    The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

  7. #22
    Senior Member Paint'n & Flag'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    chill'n n illnois
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    If you think training is intense wait until you get in the field!
    he'll know real quick by type of tickets he is giving. either they'll throw him to the wolves or have'm run drop tickets. This will give'm an idea of what type of management he's working for.

  8. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    u.p
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint'n & Flag'n View Post
    he'll know real quick by type of tickets he is giving. either they'll throw him to the wolves or have'm run drop tickets. This will give'm an idea of what type of management he's working for.
    lol ..yeah will .. see .ill get through it .. i always do .. i hope its not thrown to wolves .. then again u learn to think on your toes that way

  9. #24
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by cheaprides View Post
    lol ..yeah will .. see .ill get through it .. i always do .. i hope its not thrown to wolves .. then again u learn to think on your toes that way
    There will be those who will tell you a locating myth, you can't get a damage doing only drop tickets. That the drops being put in, be they TV or phone, will be too shallow to hit anything.

    The correct information is that drop tickets are less likely to get a damage due to often, but not every time, shallow installation of a drop.

    Mark every drop ticket like they were digging ten feet deep and you will do okay.

  10. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    From what I hear about Central Florida it ain't lookin too pretty. They are waaaaay behind on ticket loads, get ready to be thrown into the jungle if you're going to work there.
    While being behind isn't good. At least they aren't so slow that employees aren't getting hours and they are laying people off.....Most companies I've worked for are either really slow or swamped with work. Never in the middle.

  11. #26
    Senior Member locator00566's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Better Place
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    There will be those who will tell you a locating myth, you can't get a damage doing only drop tickets. That the drops being put in, be they TV or phone, will be too shallow to hit anything.

    The correct information is that drop tickets are less likely to get a damage due to often, but not every time, shallow installation of a drop.

    Mark every drop ticket like they were digging ten feet deep and you will do okay.
    You not heave to mark every drop as if they were digging 10 ft. I f you did, nothing would get accomplished

  12. #27
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by pipehorn king View Post
    You not heave to mark every drop as if they were digging 10 ft. I f you did, nothing would get accomplished
    I have done this, marked every drop as if the dig were for 10'. I have always been among the top in productivity and among the lowest in damages. It takes just a little longer to mark it right and pays off in the long run.

    I have done numerous damage investigations of locators who were careless in marking where they thought the dig would not be deep. The locator version of the excavator's "I thought it was deeper" which is commonly heard standing over a damage.

    The drop crew sets it's plow or bore deeper than usual, the utility we marked is more shallow than it usually is. I have seen gas lines, electric and phone lines, catv mains all just a couple of inches deep. Due to rocks, boulders, plantings the installation crew runs a different route than expected. Sometimes these crews are paid by footage and they will run a long route through a different part of the site just to get extra money.

    There is another problem, few people have a good enough memory to be a liar. This is a lesson I got in a salesmanship class. If you lie eventually you will forget what lie you told so always tell the prospect the truth. Writing up a job as if you marked it correctly is a form of a lie. What happens, especially on construction sites, is you get another ticket a few days later to the same site. Now you cannot remember if you marked it correctly or not, you will think your marks are correct. So the drop service you think need not be marked correctly has marks for a much deeper dig, perhaps a sewer or water line repair. (For example sometimes a dozer runs over the vale cover and pushes it down into the service damaging same) If you mark every ticket to your best ability you have an intact set of marks you can trust.

    So you noobies out there take it from someone who marks everything as if the dig was going to be 10 foot deep, no problem with doing it. You may do 35 jobs a day instead a of 36 or 37 but YOU will not get fired for damages.

    Also there is another way for you to get fired without getting a damage. Your firm, or the utility firm that hired your locate firm, can audit the ticket and if your marks are not correct you WILL get dinged for it. To many miss-marks results at a minimum of not getting a raise, getting a pay cut or worse case getting fired.
    Last edited by ProfessionalLocator; May 4th, 2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: correct spelling

  13. #28
    Senior Member locator00566's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Better Place
    Posts
    319
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Like I said, Drop tickets do not need the same amount of attention as others. Drops are considered low profile locates. When ticket loads get backed up, guess which tickets get put on the back burner....Thats correct, drop tickets. A damage can occur on any locate, drop, fence, planting a tulip, etc... No one on here is suggesting you paint stick a job. Unless its a road bore, its pretty much a cut and dry locate. I've been locating for many years. I never once had a cut on a drop ticket. Must of done thousands. And I've done them the same way everytime. Any one who says they locate drop tickets like they are digging 10 feet is a lie. Sorry, it just is. I've seen people who claim to do things by the book. If we located by the book, production would be in the tank. For all you noobies out there, drop tickets are a good way to learn how to locate. Take your time on each one until you have the confedince to move to a higher profile locate

  14. #29
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,306
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    Quote Originally Posted by pipehorn king View Post
    Like I said, Drop tickets do not need the same amount of attention as others. Drops are considered low profile locates. When ticket loads get backed up, guess which tickets get put on the back burner....Thats correct, drop tickets. A damage can occur on any locate, drop, fence, planting a tulip, etc... No one on here is suggesting you paint stick a job. Unless its a road bore, its pretty much a cut and dry locate. I've been locating for many years. I never once had a cut on a drop ticket. Must of done thousands. And I've done them the same way everytime. Any one who says they locate drop tickets like they are digging 10 feet is a lie. Sorry, it just is. I've seen people who claim to do things by the book. If we located by the book, production would be in the tank. For all you noobies out there, drop tickets are a good way to learn how to locate. Take your time on each one until you have the confedince to move to a higher profile locate

    I am not going to get into a pissing contest just becasue someone thinks I am a liar.
    I mark every ticket as if the dig were 10', drop tickets included. If someone chooses not to believe me then that is their privilege.

    One thing I have learned in life, even the masters have masters. I know locators who are better at this than I am, they do more tickets and have less damages. By less I mean more than 8 years damage free with high production numbers. Just because I cannot do what they do does not make them liars about their claims.

    For you noobies you have a choice of who to believe on how to mark drop tickets. Just remember this, if you choose wrong you are the one who loses their job, not the person who gave you the advice.

    Choose wisely.

  15. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    815
    Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs
    Rep Power
    40

    Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

    a few years ago I had noticed that the CLS guy wasn't going to the catv and phone drops. they were put on the back burner or his supervisor cleared them out. I did a catv drop ticket and a few days later i got a phone drop ticket for the same address. It seems they cut the phone drop to the house when they buried the catv drop. I have seen an oak tree's root bring a PE service to the surface when the root was in search for water. Also seen a guy hit his electrical service 5" down because the way the contractor graded the yard. In Illinois Comcast had a form for their subcontractors to fill out at every drop ticket stating what was marked. If I remember they were pushing back at sm&p at the time to not pay for the ticket where their lines were not marked. the gas company also does audits in Il. I have seen my share of guys blowing off drop tickets and power mode happy guys get fired for damaging out

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •