Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

Default USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

Just wondering how morale is in your work group or district? It's in the toilet here, we've been working without a contract for 6 months , and keep losing employees at an alarming rate. Now there's a half a dozen more tenured guys looking to jump ship.

I really don't want to start over again with another company, but the way things are going, I have a feeling we're going to lose our primary contract to the competition, and that we're all going to be working for them at this time next year.

I guess I shouldn't worry as the only thing that'll change is the logo on the truck.

Anyways, How are things elsewhere at USIC?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC employees How is morale in your work group?

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    Just wondering how morale is in your work group or district? It's in the toilet here, we've been working without a contract for 6 months , and keep losing employees at an alarming rate. Now there's a half a dozen more tenured guys looking to jump ship.

I really don't want to start over again with another company, but the way things are going, I have a feeling we're going to lose our primary contract to the competition, and that we're all going to be working for them at this time next year.

I guess I shouldn't worry as the only thing that'll change is the logo on the truck.

Anyways, How are things elsewhere at USIC?
    Nobody wants to start over at another company, that is what holds many locators with their current companies. Those that do leave tend to be the ones that are a damage short of getting fired.

If you are on the Titanic you do not wait for the bow to start sliding under to get into the life boat.

One of the big myths in the industry is that if the company fails or loses it's contracts we will just work at the "other" firm. The truth is that the "other" firm already has locators and does not need all of the locators from the collapsed firm, just some of them. Plus when they advertise for new locators you will also be competing against the locators from other firms in the area that want a change, or are just trying to save themselves from damaging out.

If you, you, do not like working with the firm you are with that is the primary concern. Staying with a place that you have no confidence with and are unhappy is in the long run detrimental to you as both an employee and a person.
    Working in a place you do not like results in poor work habits that are hard to get rid of so if the job you want pops up your bad habits lose you that job. Plus if it makes you feel bad working there that bad feeling does not turn off at 5 o'clock, it follows you home. Surveys have shown that employees will for the vast majority stay with a firm where they enjoy working. If you offer them a little more money they still will not leave because job satisfaction is priceless.

If you worked right now with another firm, and you know what you know about your current firm, is there anything they could offer you to get you to quit the place you like to work there? Some people will answer hell yes but the truth is the vast majority will not make such a move.

Think of it also as this, it may take a year or two to get the job you want. Do you do this while unemployed and living on the street or while drawing a paycheck?

Work load is starting to pick up in my work group. We recently picked up another contract. But, they are very strict on OT and with the money they will be spending on GPS, I don't see it getting better. Keep your head up, things will get better

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by pipehorn king View Post
    Work load is starting to pick up in my work group. We recently picked up another contract. But, they are very strict on OT and with the money they will be spending on GPS, I don't see it getting better. Keep your head up, things will get better
    Hmmm, "I don't see it getting any better. Keep your head up, things will get better". I feel dazed and confused, like watching an episode of Lost.

Things are looking pretty down around here also, people both leaving & getting fired making the workload even heavier than it was. This no doubt leads to more people quitting under the pressure, it's like a domino effect. Morale is fairly low but there's plenty of room to go down even further. Do what you can and CYA at all times, don't let the pressure push you into making a dumb mistake that can get you fired.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Hmmm, "I don't see it getting any better. Keep your head up, things will get better". I feel dazed and confused, like watching an episode of Lost.
    Probably you are breathing in too much paint fumes, thats why you are dazed and confused

Years of Experience

I think morale can be very specific to the district you work. Where I work we are in full swing with all sorts of tickets coming in very fast. Our summer work hours are picking up and the tickets seem to come in faster than we can do them.

In the area I work I think morale is ok because we have two new locating outfits in town and USIC's grass is very green compared to the other utility companies in our area. There are always complaints but I think there would be complaints no matter how good it is. Most complaints seem to come from balancing quality and production and everyone in this business knows that both are extremely important and at times it seems impossible to balance both of them at the same time.

Morale? What's that? Let's see - 70% + turnover, forced Saturday ot, marking rules changing every month, much stricter guidelines on damages, and lest I not forget - [COLOR="red"]GPS ![/COLOR] Ask me again in the middle of August , when it's 105 degrees and the co. is harping on Idle Time!!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

i just took an assessment test online....what's the USIC central florida like?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by pittsky View Post
    I have no direct knowledge. But based on what their employees have written Work Shall Make You Free.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I have no direct knowledge. But based on what their employees have written Work Shall Make You Free.
    are USIC nazi's? or does that just mean they are busy?

Years of Experience

From what we've been able to suss out, they are busy Nazi's. On a serious note, I think our Wisconsin friend is correct. In some places they are not the only game in town, and they are most likely more organized/ professional than the competition. In other places they are the only game in town, and I have heard many tales of woe. I just hope things improve soon, this is no way to treat people doing such a vital job in our society.

Years of Experience

I hope things work out for you guys with usic !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by pittsky View Post
    From what I hear about Central Florida it ain't lookin too pretty. They are waaaaay behind on ticket loads, get ready to be thrown into the jungle if you're going to work there.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

our area has had in few weeks past 700plus tickets for 8 locators. no help. damages and more damages. worst morale i have seen since ive been here. cant blame the locators. they have families to feed regardless if usic has padded their pockets sufficiently for the quarter. we picked up yet another contract from consolidated and that will make 5th utility in 1 area it affects. yet we still have no help. empty promises of help and carrots of "possible" incentive trial!!! yah convienient huh? right as the busy season gears up "oh we are thinking about possibly maybe trying a pilot bonus system.....maybe. (but not likely). jus tto squeeze out every last drop of energy and will power from us.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast