Thread: USIC cell phone service?

Years of Experience

Default USIC cell phone service?

SM&P has used Nextel for years. What does the old CLS use? Just curious if we'll all be going to the same type of cell phones. You'd think getting everyone on the same contract would save on the pricing. I seem to remember CLS using Verizon. It would be so great to get rid of Nextel. As much as I like the direct connect they have a terrible coverage area.

Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC cell phone service?

we got rid of nextell in the early 00's because of the svc area....down this way it is horrible...only good in the big cities.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    SM&P has used Nextel for years. What does the old CLS use? Just curious if we'll all be going to the same type of cell phones. You'd think getting everyone on the same contract would save on the pricing. I seem to remember CLS using Verizon. It would be so great to get rid of Nextel. As much as I like the direct connect they have a terrible coverage area.
    SM&P here has used Verizon for over 6 years. They just purchase a whole heapload of new phones from verizon.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

I know CLS in NC uses a mix on NextHell and AllSmell (Alltel).

STS still uses Sprint PCS as far as I know. I can't stand Nextel, since it is not really cell service, but instead Specialized Mobile Radio with telephone interconnect. Nextel bought up all of the private 800 trunked systems and forced those people to switch to their service. Not to mention, NexTel seriously interferes with the 800 MHz radios that lots of public safety agencies use, and now the FCC is making the public safety agencies move their systems to other frequencies while NexTel gets to keep theirs.....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Every place I have worked for CLS they used Nextel. Rumor is Verizon is going to buy Alltell. Verizon has push to talk and it is a thousand times better than Nextel. Better phones, better coverage, better monthly bill.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator_smbk View Post
    I know CLS in NC uses a mix on NextHell and AllSmell (Alltel).

STS still uses Sprint PCS as far as I know. I can't stand Nextel, since it is not really cell service, but instead Specialized Mobile Radio with telephone interconnect. Nextel bought up all of the private 800 trunked systems and forced those people to switch to their service. Not to mention, NexTel seriously interferes with the 800 MHz radios that lots of public safety agencies use, and now the FCC is making the public safety agencies move their systems to other frequencies while NexTel gets to keep theirs.....
    You have it backwards. The FCC is forcing Nextel to move to another frequency. The FCC gave Nextel certain spectrum in exchange for the vacating of the public safety range of frequencies...

Nextel Communications (NXTL) agreed Monday to a deal in which it will begin using new wireless spectrum so its cell phones will stop interfering with public-safety radios across the USA.
    Under an agreement with regulators, Nextel will give up its old airwaves and, in the next three years, shift to more valuable spectrum that won't interfere with radios used by emergency personnel.
    The long-expected accord will give Nextel airwaves valued at $4.8 billion. The Federal Communications Commission in July approved a 3-year-old proposal to move Nextel and public-safety agencies to separate blocks of airwaves. The plan required Nextel's endorsement, and Monday was the deadline for the carrier's response.
    The airwaves used by Nextel and public-safety radios are interwoven, causing Nextel's cell phone service to drown out police and fire radios in hundreds of cities. Sometimes, emergency response has been hampered.
    Nextel will get prime spectrum in the 1.9-gigahertz band ó worth $4.8 billion by FCC estimates ó that it plans to use for next-generation high-speed Internet services.
    In exchange, Nextel will give up spectrum that the FCC values at $2 billion, pay an estimated $2.5 billion to retune radios and $300 million for the rest of the $4.8 billion value of the new spectrum. Nextel must pay the entire retuning costs, even if they exceed estimates.

The reason Sprint bought Nextel was for the added spectrum in the 1.9GHz range, the same frequency range current Sprint PCS phones operate within. They also figured on Nextel's customer base being folded into the same frequency spectrum.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Every place I have worked for CLS they used Nextel. Rumor is Verizon is going to buy Alltell. Verizon has push to talk and it is a thousand times better than Nextel. Better phones, better coverage, better monthly bill.
    Already Done!

June 6, 2008

Verizon Agrees to Buy Alltel for $28.1 Billion

By ANDREW ROSS SORKIN And LAURA M. HOLSON
    Verizon Communications agreed on Thursday to buy Alltel for about $28.1 billion, including the assumption of debt, creating the nationís largest cellular telephone provider.
    The deal catapults Verizonís wireless business ahead of AT&T Wireless, which falls to No. 2, followed by Sprint Nextel and Deutsche Telekomís T-Mobile. The combination of Verizon, based in New York, and Alltel, based in Little Rock, Ark., will create a company with more than 80 million subscribers. Verizon adds coverage in Midwest and the South.
    Under the terms of the deal, Verizon will acquire the equity of Alltel for $5.9 billion and assume $22.2 billion in debt. The companies hope to complete the transaction by the end of the year.
    ďThis move will create an enhanced platform of network coverage, spectrum and customer care to better serve the growing needs of both Alltel and Verizon Wireless customers for reliable basic and advanced broadband wireless services,Ē Lowell C. McAdam, the president and chief executive of Verizon Wireless, said in a statement.
    Shares of Verizon Communications were up about 5.4 percent in afternoon trading.
    The transaction represents one of the quickest flips in corporate history: Alltelís owners ó TPG, formerly the Texas Pacific Group, and Goldman Sachsís private equity arm ó just completed buying the company last fall for about $27.5 billion.
    The deal appears to be driven in part by Goldman Sachs and several of the large banks that financed the original deal seeking a way out of it. Citigroup, Barclays, Royal Bank of Scotland and others were never able to sell all of the debt, which was sitting on their own books at a loss.
    Verizon and Alltel have been in a merger dance for years. Mr. McAdam and Scott T. Ford, Alltelís chief executive, have known each other for a long time and have been talking on and off about a combination over the last couple of years, according to a person apprised of the talks before the deal was announced. Rumors surfaced in 2005 that Verizon and Alltel were considering a merger and talks reignited last year, before TPG and Goldman Sachs bid for the company.
    Previous efforts to strike a deal faltered in part because of opposition from Verizonís partner in its wireless business, Vodafone, which owns a 45 percent stake. Roger Entner, a senior vice president at IAG, a market research firm, said that the last time Verizon sought to acquire Alltel, Vodafone rejected the deal because the merger would have diluted its position in the combined companies. The current deal is being financed entirely by debt to avoid diluting Vodafoneís stake, people involved in the discussions said.
    Analysts say that Alltel, which has about 13 million subscribers, is a logical fit for Verizon. First, they share the same cellphone technology, called CDMA, and second, Alltel has customers in regions not serviced by Verizon. The person apprised of the talks said there would be layoffs, but they would be largely limited to marketing, finance and other staff functions.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Sprint/Nextel is alive and well in the DC Metro, we have no trouble with it.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia