Thread: USIC...Career?

Default USIC...Career?

Hey guys I recently applied for USIC and had a phone interview. My question is, how well does USIC pay? Starting out it would be $13 per hour and I make $12 now sitting at an office desk. Would USIC be a good move for me or would you stear clear? How are the hours? Overtime readily avaliable? Also last but not least, does USIC have any college funding avaliable!?

Thanks guys!

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: USIC...Career?

i would look back on the old post. there have been several on this subject of usic. )Seven from hell) will tell you to run and run fast. Expect anywhere form 40-65 hours a week from march 1st to nov 1st. That will be based on a 5-6 day week. Also remember it is a fliud work. It is based on the volume of tickets. You get to work outdoors and walk alot. Be aware there will be a lot of BS and micro-managing, but unsure on how it is IN. I think they had college re-emburstment once, but it may be based on i think on a degree around the industry. with all the cuts in 2008-09 not sure if they still have it. this is not a 9-5 job. You can not just leave a ticket until the next day if you have class. If your area is short staffed or a high volume you mave have to do 10-14 hr days.

If you want to come work in the seventh circle of hell then come on aboard! On a serious note, locating is a good industry to get into. It opens up a lot of doors for other areas of work. The pay will get better, the OT will be there. Making a career out of it....?? I thought so at one point but thanks to USIC I have changed my mind. Good luck and be prepared to bring some lube with you when you come on board. Makes it easier when they bend you over and...... well you know the rest.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

If you read the posts here on the forums, there is a search feature, you will find the vast majority of USIC workers say it is the worst company in the industry to work for. Expect Draconian rules where you will be fired or disciplined for the smallest infraction. You will be treated with disrespect and disdain and be micro micro managed.

On the good part is they will train you and you will gain experience so you will be able to get a job with one of their competitors that is better to work for.

In general in this industry expect long hours and working many weekends. It requires you be a self starter with the ability to work with the minimum of supervision. The job is high stress.

In a good company you are mostly left alone to do your work. You route and schedule you own jobs and do it right and a smart foreman will leave you too it.

Most companies have learned that productivity offsets the cost of the locator bringing their vehicle home so your commute expenses are practically none. There is a tax burden called imputed income with using a company vehicle to commute so you have to pay taxes on the value. There is a way to handle this that most firms get around by charging you $3 a day for the use of the vehicle which is far less that the cost of commuting with your own vehicle. Many of these firms also pay you and additional $3 a day to take the vehicle home so your actual cost is the tax on $15 a week. For everybody this is a good deal.

This work is mandated by law in all of the US and Canada so you have the ability to move around the country if you just interview and have a job waiting.

How you are treated and how you like the job depends heavily on where you are located and out of what office. I work for USIC and I love my job, the office I work out of. My sup leaves me alone and we dont get micro managed nor hassled about idle times or where I was at a certain time of day.

GL on your starting out at...hope your office is a good one..if not sorry to hear that.

hey Paint'n & Flag'n ! what office are you located out of? I live in Lindenhurst in Lake County. Just trying to get some info on the office i would be working out of to see if its filled with a bunch of dick heads! and wondering where there training classes are.
    Any info would be appreciated.