Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: USIC on call schedule?

Default USIC on call schedule?

Can someone tell me how often your on call working for USIC? Ive geard like acouple different answers...Thanks!

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC on call schedule?

It really varies by supervisor, some supervisors create a schedule where you are on call for a few days or even a week at a time, while others set up a schedule that varies on a daily basis, and it can vary by how many callouts an area averages, some are much higher than others.

Years of Experience

If you have 10 locators on your team and they do the weekly rotation, then your on-call every 10th week for a week and get 9 weeks off. Same with daily, every 10th day and 9 days off inbetween. If you were just hired, you won't have to deal with it for the first 6 months or so.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Most locate firms have a full week oncall, like from Monday end of day until start of day Monday next week. After that it varies wildly.

One of our managers used to work at OCC and has adopted their rotation. This was due to our heavy workload and often many oncall tickets. Having one person oncall has them working 12 to 20 hours a day and with commute time home little or no time for sleep. If they are short on sleep they often can not work their regular shift becasue even if they can make it to end of day the oncalls start coming in and no time to sleep. So our oncall people could not be counted on to be available to do their regular work or to cover their oncall.

Our rotation is a six week period. First week you are oncall Monday, week two Tuesday, week three Wednesday, week four Thursday, week five Friday and lastly week six Saturday and Sunday. Then you do not get oncall again for a couple of months. Much safer, not as likely to fall asleep driving.
    phoenix827 and PokerAdam like this.

Years of Experience

I do one full week M-Monday ....about once every 3 months or so .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by microtek View Post
    Can someone tell me how often your on call working for USIC? I've heard a couple different answers...Thanks!
    If you have 10 locators on your team and they do the weekly rotation, then your on-call every 10th week for a week and get 9 weeks off. Same with daily, every 10th day and 9 days off inbetween. If you were just hired, you won't have to deal with it for the first 6 months or so.
    Hey microtek - Welcome to the Cable Vine from a fellow USICer!

superman is spot-on with his explanation of the USIC on-call rotation. I would LUV to possess a couple of superman's herculean talents. Aside of a few obvious sexual enhancements, being able to see through dirt would be pretty cool....... just sayin'.

Although being on-call can intimidate a noob, when the time comes to be on-call you will be ready to except the challenge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; April 7th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.
    superman likes this.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I have had three different on-call schedules. I had a large group and we did one day M-Th and then one person had oncall the weekend fri-sun. We had 20 people so not many weekends. The one week m-sun. easiest for the supervisor to make out. I jad a 2-2-3 schedule. m-tu; wed-thur and the weekend fri-sun. Of the three I liked the 2-2-3 method. I do not like the week for several reasons. I do not like putting my life on hold for a week. I do not drink much but like to be able to go out for a beer and maybe go out to dinner or a date, but with one week you have to worry about being called out. Also like Pro stated hours can build up during the week days.

Years of Experience
    30+

I have on call 24/7/365. I do not get call outs like most DPS's. All I locate is long haul fiber.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I have on call 24/7/365. I do not get call outs like most DPS's. All I locate is long haul fiber.
    Besides the fact, Florida's one-call (Sunshine) designates emergency locates like EVERY other locate... (48 hrs.)

Years of Experience

that makes sense !!!! I like that idea !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    Besides the fact, Florida's one-call (Sunshine) designates emergency locates like EVERY other locate... (48 hrs.)
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I pay someone to do it. Once a week but I cover 6 big counties

Years of Experience

I wished I worked in your area......I would take that deal....ha!

Years of Experience

USIC in the region here splits the crew into 2 on call areas and the guys in each group rotate one day each. With how many guys they have, I think, each guy comes back to being on call about every 5-6th day

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

We had something change that has us scratching our heads.

Suppose you have oncall Thursday night but have to do some personal business like Department of Motor Vehicles or such. So you put in for the day off but of course cover your oncall once the regular work hours end. Our HR Director just said that if you take the day off you are not allowed to work oncall. So unless you can find someone to cover your oncall that night you cannot have that day off.

No one can figure that one out.

Years of Experience

In my crew I'm on call every 13 days covering 2 countys. If I want to go on vacation or take a day off when I am on call I have to find someone to cover for me. It seem's like each area is different

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast