Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USIC buys Translore

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: USIC buys Translore

Quote Originally Posted by kmurph92 View Post
    ProfessionalLocator is right on point here - it will likely take much more time and money (2x or more) than whatever they quoted you. Operations and maintenance are a big deal too. We were considering something similar and after researching ended up going with DigTix (digtix dot com). It's purely cloud-based so we cut our IT spending to $0. The features are great and they even do custom development at an affordable cost. You do not have to provide your prices anywhere in the application to do billing, which avoids shady tactics like what we see here with USIC / Translore.
    I tip my hat to the more experienced with this kmurph92. The question is who is the "they" in his statement " more time and money (2x or more) than whatever they quoted you".
    Mostly this will be the locating firms own IT staff rather than a outside software company. They are programers and their ego says they can do this. Plus the Boss says he.she wants it so they are not going to try and talk them out of it. The Boss they fear will look at this as the employee is trying to dissuade them because the employee is not good enough at their job. So just to keep their job they will go along with the request or question on the feasibility of writing their own software.

The response from an outside software company would be about the same and as the in-house IT people, that outside company wants the contract. A contract that will take longer and cost double is just pure gold to the outside company. This sounds strange but that type of contract has it's own built in job security. Once the client starts running on the software they are dependent on keeping it running so they have to keep the outside company on the payroll, they cannot afford to get ride of them. Getting rid of the outside company means buying a complete package of a software that has already had all, or most , the bugs worked out of it. Which is what they should have done in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I show up at the "office" every morning and pick up my stack of paper tickets and hit the road.

The boss told us last year we were going to a computer program by April 2014. I asked him the other day why we hadn't and he said they wanted to charge over a dollar per ticket. I did over 800 tickets last month by myself. I can only guess that over 3000 tickets were issued (that we actually located). That is over $3,000 for the month just for a program to manage tickets. WOW that is a lot of money.

All I know is what he told me but if my math is correct then that is, as I said above, A LOT OF MONEY.

It's like leasing a car and then having to pay per mile.

Needless to say, he couldn't see paying that much money for a ticket management program.
    Polaris Workforce is a ticket management and mobile workforce management system that goes for between 2 and 4 cents a ticket. A dollar a ticket is crazy!!! PM me if you want some information on it.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I have a problem with paying per ticket no matter what the price is. I would want to just buy a program and run it.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

We are set up as a subscription service because we host the system and maintain/update the database because the call centers like to change the way they deliver tickets, change ticket formats, change response codes,... Charging a small per ticket fee for the subscription seemed like the fairest way to accommodate companies of different sizes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12