Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By RD_Wrangler

Thread: USIC better tighten up there locating !!!

Years of Experience
    na

Default USIC better tighten up there locating !!!

At least in my area...

Missing primaries and secondarys so USIC1 (catv and phone locator) to the rescue for the crying contractors...

and why don't contractors put locators in the hands of some of their dig crew personnel so they aren't killing themselves wasting time and $ when spotting the lines... they do the locating anyway to follow the drill... stupid

Showed up earlier today on a hydrant changeout and the crew onsite bumped (for lack of better wording) a 6"plastic gas main that was off the marks like 4'... It was marked on sidewalk but was really between hydrant and curb...

OH MY!!! MYY!!!

the fun I had missed being off awhile...

Okay so there should be their b4 all the geniuses reign in !!! HA!
    Last edited by USIC1; March 20th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: USIC better tighten up there locating !!!

Hey Usic, The reason the contractors don't employ locators is simple.... Liability. If they locate it themselves and bump it, they are screwed beyond belief. However, if they bump it due to shitty marks... they don't have to pay.

mke

Years of Experience

Wow, I just encountered a contractor with a GPR today! A bore crew, that has been around for a while purchased one years ago, and is now implementing it with their bore. Entrance and exits are located with GPR, and they are running a fiber at 20 ft. I feel sorry for the locator in a congested area, but yes, they do try to do their best not to cause a damage.
    That being said, I work for a utility, and do locates. Some are more difficult to locate, in my sense an ac water line running within an easement with no less than 9 other "items" in the ground in a 10 foot easement. Yes, it is hard, and yes I will find it, but I may hold up a bore costing the company money, which I don't want to do, but if I have to, that is the only option.
    Most permits allow a utility to be placed without hindrance to other utilities that were there prior, in my case 40 years ago.

Years of Experience

Word of the day - Malapropism.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Word of the day - Malapropism.
    If you have a Malapropism that lasts more than three hours call your doctor.
    wet_boots101 likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    ....in my sense an ac water line running within an easement with no less than 9 other "items" in the ground in a 10 foot easement. Yes, it is hard, and yes I will find it....
    Does your "ac" mean the same thing that my "ac" means? If so... how in the world do you locate it? (I'll note that there is a difference between locate and find. I have found AC lines exactly where I thought they were, but I was never able to "locate" it, according to the colloquial understanding of the term.)

mke

Years of Experience

We have AC (asbestos concrete) water lines we locate with GPR... shows good image if water pressure is adequate running through it at the time.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh. Tis the same AC we have. (AC, Transite, ACP, etc..). Our soil is Crap around here. GPR works good up to about 4'-4.5' depending on diameter of pipe, but alot of our AC lines are original so they tend to be a bit deeper then most of our utilities (we added alot of fill). We have an 18" AC sanitary force main that we know the rough location. Had a local company come out and try to find it and they were having troubles narrowing down where it was. When all was said and done, they had a "rough" window of where it was. That was about the same window we had with our maps.

Which GPR units are you guys using?

Mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Our soil is Crap around here.

Mke
    ^^^TRUTH
    yahoo likes this.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

They better!!! They are on the fringe of losing another contract in Indiana. Their contract with NIPSCO expired in January and they have not signed a new one yet!!! There are some new players in the area and NIPSCO is looking at all options!!!!