Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Usic

  1. #1
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Usic

    USIC lost the gas contract in Chicago to an engineering company.

  2. #2
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,071
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by CPD View Post
    USIC lost the gas contract in Chicago to an engineering company.
    who does the gas belong to in that part of the country ???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  3. #3
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,496
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    111

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by CPD View Post
    USIC lost the gas contract in Chicago to an engineering company.
    What engineering company?

  4. #4
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    who does the gas belong to in that part of the country ???
    PGL
    People gas

  5. #5
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Usic

    Last edited by CPD; December 7th, 2018 at 08:32 PM.

  6. #6
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    What engineering company?
    A Company called HBK in Chicago, but there's no info if they ever did any locating before. I don't think that the PGL contract will last that long with an engineering company.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,496
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    111

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by CPD View Post
    A Company called HBK in Chicago, but there's no info if they ever did any locating before. I don't think that the PGL contract will last that long with an engineering company.
    https://hbkengineering.com They have done SUE work but some indication of the production type of marking we do.

    "HBK currently provides Utility Locating, Watch and Protect services for multiple agencies, including fiber optic bandwidth providers, municipalities and universities. Our goal is to raise the industry standard for how our nations most critical infrastructure is protected."

  8. #8
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,496
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    111

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by CPD View Post
    A Company called HBK in Chicago, but there's no info if they ever did any locating before. I don't think that the PGL contract will last that long with an engineering company.
    Utiliquest began as Byer's Engineering.

  9. #9
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    https://hbkengineering.com They have done SUE work but some indication of the production type of marking we do.

    "HBK currently provides Utility Locating, Watch and Protect services for multiple agencies, including fiber optic bandwidth providers, municipalities and universities. Our goal is to raise the industry standard for how our nations most critical infrastructure is protected."
    Watch and Protect services is most likely for the PGL contract that hbk won. My understanding there's no watch and protect for communication lines here in Chicago. USIC the biggest locating company here in Chicago only did watch and protect for PGL nothing for AT@T fiber or any other communication.

  10. #10
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    https://hbkengineering.com They have done SUE work but some indication of the production type of marking we do.

    "HBK currently provides Utility Locating, Watch and Protect services for multiple agencies, including fiber optic bandwidth providers, municipalities and universities. Our goal is to raise the industry standard for how our nations most critical infrastructure is protected."
    Well, this hbk company supposed to take over the people's gas Jan.1st,2019, but have not yet took over the gas contract due to only 4 experience locators for this contract. lol... If they had locators as advertised above why is this company prolonging it "contract"?

  11. #11
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,496
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    111

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by CPD View Post
    Well, this hbk company supposed to take over the people's gas Jan.1st,2019, but have not yet took over the gas contract due to only 4 experience locators for this contract. lol... If they had locators as advertised above why is this company prolonging it "contract"?
    Seen this before. Bid on a contract claiming to be able to have the locators to do the job. Then scramble to put together crews to get the job done. Have seen locators living in hotels working another state until raw newbies can be trained, take over and get damages and late tickets in staggering numbers. Also take the contract and then subcontract another locate frim to do a section of the service area.

  12. #12
    CPD
    CPD is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    36
    Years of Experience
    22
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Seen this before. Bid on a contract claiming to be able to have the locators to do the job. Then scramble to put together crews to get the job done. Have seen locators living in hotels working another state until raw newbies can be trained, take over and get damages and late tickets in staggering numbers. Also take the contract and then subcontract another locate frim to do a section of the service area.
    I did talk to PGL today and ask him "what's going on with the new locate company (hbk)" He told me their locators aren't PGL certified yet. They only completed 70% of the requirements for the PGL testing. PGL gave them an extension. USIC said they have to locate the gas until the end of this month. Plus URG won the contract for PGL Central shop (westside) and USIC said said URG started to locate the gas Jan.1st. Well, will see what plays out by the end of this month.

  13. #13
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    4,071
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    174

    Default Re: Usic

    I see USIC sitting tight for about 2 years on the other contracts that they have there now and then getting THAT contract back about 2 years from now...
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  14. #14
    Senior Member daman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Off the deep end
    Posts
    1,223
    Years of Experience
    17 years
    Rep Power
    58

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I see USIC sitting tight for about 2 years on the other contracts that they have there now and then getting THAT contract back about 2 years from now...
    Their plan is to sit back and let the new company crash and burn. Anything they can do to speed that process up is fair game. If that happens then the utility has to come back with their hats in their hands and USIC is in a position to screw them even harder. The utility is usually so traumatized by hiring a fly by night locator that they would rather just stick with the devil they know from then on.
    That system seems to have served them well in other regions

  15. #15
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,496
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    111

    Default Re: Usic

    Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Their plan is to sit back and let the new company crash and burn. Anything they can do to speed that process up is fair game. If that happens then the utility has to come back with their hats in their hands and USIC is in a position to screw them even harder. The utility is usually so traumatized by hiring a fly by night locator that they would rather just stick with the devil they know from then on.
    That system seems to have served them well in other regions
    USIC lost a contract to S&N about two years ago. S&N counted on USIC firing off their locators to hire same said locators to do the work. USIC did no reduction in force and kept all their locators and just improved service to their other contracts. I know because S&N paid me and others to come down and live in hotels until they could train newbies. So USIC was sitting there securing their other contracts with better service and a stock of locators ready and experienced to take over the "lost" contract. USIC did not lose the contract they just did not want it. The client would charge USIC for all damages and deduct the cost of each damage from their monthly payment to USIC. All damages were considered the fault of USIC and the damages charged to them before a mutual investigation could be completed. The client wasn't interested in going to court to recover damages from the excavator especially since they took the money from USIC right off the top. So now all USIC had to do was wait for the client to come back with their hat in their hand and dictate a better contract.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A 'Rook Media' Website