Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Usic

Years of Experience

Default Usic

Well i have been gone awhile still pushing mail...lol and it still sucks .
    But i have to let you all know what i seen this morning .
    To start with I am having a cable installed from my house to my barn , sent in a request for locates and plainly stated i was going 2 feet down .
    Well USIC came out and walked thru my yard and did nothing .
    But since I own my own locating device and have tested the depth on said equipment and have dug up my phone and power cable to make sure .
    I know that my phone service is only 7 inches deep and power is 18 inches . This will be fun for my contractor to deal with . I guess USIC only has to show up but not have to mark anything. Good personel they have.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Usic

depends on the contract ....may not have to locate drops .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    depends on the contract ....may not have to locate drops .
    Oh yes. Have checked out their work and know a few people with the phone company.

Years of Experience

Did all you usic employees remember to sign the handbook? Should be all under their.

Years of Experience

They may not have to mark drops, but electric services to the house should be required to be marked no matter the contract due to the possibility of someone dying.

If you are in AT&T territory, that cut drop is going to cost about $275 average to repair. Windstream should average about the same. I don't see the phone company eating that and being happy about it. The contract that we had in Bowling Green was with AT&T and we were responsible for all drops. I was not with USIC though.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So, to play devils advocate. What did the instructions state? Rural house locates took leg work, but were typically easy. If the locator came out and then left, it makes me wonder why. Did the instructions state "from back of house to barn?" and the meter was on the side of the house?

I do believe that there are alot of crappy locators out there, but I also believe that there are alot of simple situations that get misconstrude because of lack of information.

just saying.

mke

Years of Experience
    10yrs +
    Blog Entries

this is a good scenario for the higher ups to see, out here where there are barns, stables, even airplane hangers at times, the contract states for the locates to go up to the meter if the additional buildings do not have a meter on the side or are getting fed from the principal residence it is considered private, some of these homes have handholes at the base of the pole and FP&L, in some instances considers it private from the handhole into the building, CATV and AT&T thats a different beast CATV drops are to be marked but not a big deal AT&T everything is to be located.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by dragon View Post
    sent in a request for locates and plainly stated i was going 2 feet down .
    If you sent in the request you should have to ticket number. Get ahold of your one call center and ask to speak with the usic/att person that completed the ticket. Ask him (in a calm manner) what happened and why it was not located. Explain what happened to him. He might be very sorry about it and just missed it some how. Maybe he confused those ticket instructions with another set of tickets who knows. Just call the guy

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Kaine is right. He could have just read the ticket wrong or is having one-of-those-days, days.

However, I recommend not dealing with the locate company. Call the utility and let them know. USIC doesn't want people calling the phone company when they screw up and the phone company doesn't want to get calls because USIC screwed up. A kick in the butt is probably what they need.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Kaine is right. He could have just read the ticket wrong or is having one-of-those-days, days.

However, I recommend not dealing with the locate company. Call the utility mand let them know. USIC doesn't want people calling the phone company when they screw up and the phone company doesn't want to get calls because USIC screwed up. A kick in the butt is probably what they need.
    The request was for the entire back of house to barn . And I think they.just don't care.
    Art was here for about an hour repairing my line and that will cost them. If they don't care about locating the line the first time I don't have time to make sure they do their job. Bottum line they are just putting in time not doing the job.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Just curious. It has been mentioned several times that some locate companies don't have to locate the drop to the house. Then who locates it? The phone company?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Just curious. It has been mentioned several times that some locate companies don't have to locate the drop to the house. Then who locates it? The phone company?
    Some contracts do not require the marking of service drops. Even so I doubt that there are many call before you dig laws that allows their exclusion. Some contracts the locate firm does not have to pay for a damage on a service drop, this does not last long. The locators get wind of this and stop marking the drops, a LOT of damages rack up and the contract is amended to charge for damaged drops. Seen that happen more than once.

Years of Experience

If the drop comes out of the nid or house to the barn it is considered private. I have located att for along time and never have located them after the nid. seen many hit though.

Years of Experience

It sounds like they should have located it, but why would you dig if you knew the lines where in the area and you had your own locating device? Sounds like you want to get someone in trouble and you can't use your own locating device!
    loc8tor likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast