Thread: Usic

Default Usic

I would like to put my 2 cents in on the company. Yes people may have gotten screwed by them, yes they may be overworked and underpaid. You may also not like the benefits or hours your forced to work. But if you really think about it, no job is perfect, most people don't get paid what they deserve in this industry, and there are others who wish they could get a job making more than minimum wage. I have days i dont like it, but that comes with most jobs as im sure you all know. So really we don't have it as bad as we think. Im sure someone will disagree, but its my opinion. Thanks

Years of Experience

Default Re: Usic

Quote Originally Posted by remark View Post
    I would like to put my 2 cents in on the company. Yes people may have gotten screwed by them, yes they may be overworked and underpaid. You may also not like the benefits or hours your forced to work. But if you really think about it, no job is perfect, most people don't get paid what they deserve in this industry, and there are others who wish they could get a job making more than minimum wage. I have days i dont like it, but that comes with most jobs as im sure you all know. So really we don't have it as bad as we think. Im sure someone will disagree, but its my opinion. Thanks
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I prefer a job where I am not being exploited by my employer simply because they can get away with it, and they will continue to exploit their employees, because there are too many of them that have a "happy to have a job" mentality.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hypothetically....

Turk Underground Utility Locators, LLC. is a medium sized company. Too big to run out of your garage, but too small to take over the world. (I am not going to be confusing the issue with accurate numbers, the numbers I use are only for illustrations.)

This company has a small contract with a utility company and directly competes with one of the larger companies in the area. They perform quality work but like all companies has to stay within budgetary constraints. There are several areas where you can attempt to gain some financial stability, but it will take away from other aspects of this company. (Typical small business issues)

The Locators in the area are getting about $10 for new hires and average locator gets about $12 an hour. The owner knows, because he recently left a competeing company and is very familiar with the wages.

Are you honestly going to tell me that no matter what the market can bare, you will pay your employees what they are worth? I get paid about $26 an hour with full benies. If I get paid this, doesn't that mean you need to pay your locators the same? They would greatly appriciate it, and they feel that they deserve and would continue to earn this wage. Would you? Could you?

We both know that the answer is "no". Wages are dependant on the market. What is the going rate on "un-educated", "un-certified" labor? Just about what locators are getting paid. You can't just look at the size of the company and think "they are a huge corporate conglomeration, they have to be able to pay more then this?" They can't, and they won't unless the industry can raise its standards.

Back to your company.... Because the company can not bare to support the $26an hour wages, does that make them "Exploitive" of their employees? I believe it makes them normal.

The goal of the common employee........ Get as much money for as little work as possible

The goal of the common employer......... Get as much work from the employees for as little money as possible.

They meet in the middle.

Mke

One major problem with the wage issue is when new hires are offered $2 to $4 more dollars to stay. When they are brought in at the same wage rate as someone with 2+ years. Our DM for USIC in my area has even stated if you are over a year theres the door. Poor leadership has put USIC at the hands of the unions. When we are in a wage freeze and the DM gets a nice bonus and plaque for being most profitable district and wants a meeting to show everyone. Thats poor management and a big problem with USIC. Just to name a few flaws..

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I worked for a small company where the owner gave me my yearly review. He let me know that with the downturn in the economy that it will be very hard to maintain the raises that I have been getting in the previous years. He let me know that he noticed the effort I've been putting in with all the out of towners and all the problematic locates, but he was only going to be able to give me a $.25 raise.

He could tell I was a bit displeased. He even asked me if I thought I deserved more. After I unloaded on him about me working twice as hard as I did the year before I was rewarded with 1/8th of what I recieved the year before, he told me that he would "look into it". Within the month he bought a boat and a second house. The house was barely over 5000sqft and the boat he got was used.... Used 2008 Duckworth Pacific Navigator, Portland OR - 101671545 - BoatTrader.com

My point being, all locators are crapped on from above.

As for why the noobs get a couple of bucks dangled infront of them to stay.... Its a pre-designed formula. In order for them to break even on training, the people they train have to stay for a predetermined time. If they don't keep them on for that time, it is a minus in the bottom line. So they take a couple of bucks to entice them to stay long enough to break even and "Poof" then they can get rid of them with a clear concience.

I know it doesn't make sense, but its the truth.

Mke

That why as conservative as I am and as anti-union as I am. I am supporting IBEW to attempt a change with the policy and how they operate. Maybe a long shot, my not work, but couldn't be as bad as it is now. At least with IBEW there is a hope of change. Far more then we are given now.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hope and Change?..... Where have I heard that before.....

hmmmm..... =)

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Exploitation is not just low wages, it's not being compensated for being on call, being forced to work more than eight hours a day, having your benefits cut when you go on RIF for the winter months, and having your movements tracked for every second you work during the day, I could go on.

Mke, not hope and change but hope of change. A change of USIC policy and the way they treat the employees. The best way to force change is in anyones pocket book. If they see that locators are the backbone of the company, we will get more respect

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey HP, Hopefully I haven't portrayed my self as some un-compassionate S.O.B. who doesn't hope for the best for the locator. I actually have high reguards for locators and the locating industry. I wish for a time that we actually get paid what we are worth and have supervisors that back us up sight unseen.

I just don't think we have as much pull as you guys hope for. Every locate I do, and every task I complete. I know in the back of my head that i never stop thinking that i'm one "F" up away from being contracted out. I don't forget my place. I don't put any added importance of what I do to anything I do. We are all cogs and gears that will get replaced. It is solely up to us on when that replacement happens.

Forcing a company by threat of a stoppage is truely a detriment for the locate industry. We already have a huge chunk of liability on our shoulders. If a company thinks that we might become a bigger liability because we are thinking about not doing our job..... we will be replaced.

The only way to bring the industry up is to raise its standards, not just raising the income of its workers. Make the knowledge we have tangible and something that we can measure and certify.

Mke

unions blow

Quote Originally Posted by dead like me View Post
    unions blow