Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Union

Years of Experience

Default Re: Union

what????????? i thought he was truck driving!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    na

LOOK!!!

Just because its labor day weekend and youve popped a couple tops, dont start spoutin off at me!!!

Fortunately in regards to your insite you do have a point and yes I have gravitated to what could be considered a greater leveraged arrangement in the industry...Maybe to some extent you should be thankful that some out here may be supporting a base line for others...

Okay now I will except my for that service...

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    what????????? i thought he was truck driving!!!!!!!!!!!
    Whats that saying-

The contractors cant take me and truck driving companys are afraid I ll take over...

Okay that does nt make sense but your used to that by now...

School doesnt start until January 09...

So there!!!

Years of Experience

hang in there dude....i'm thinking to myself that you may be driving the truck that is carrying my orange paint to my office.................hahahhahahhah...........wis hful thinking
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    hang in there dude....i'm thinking to myself that you may be driving the truck that is carrying my orange paint to my office.................hahahhahahhah...........wis hful thinking
    Or your Gustav rations 6 mos from now to tent city La.!!!

Coupla threads moving lately re: union.. so there i was drinking beer and thinking about it.. (I happen to be union btw)

Maybe its like this: You have 3 points of interest.. the company, the worker, and the company-worker relationship (union or non). Now you can have a good company or a crappy company.. a good worker or a crappy worker.. and a good relationship or a crappy one.

Im sure you can picture the various situations for that triangle, so Im not gonna punch it in here. But I do think that alot of times union ppl do picture that it can be bad to be either kind of worker in a crappy company.. and we tend to quote that. Likewise, good workers with a good relationship in a good company can picture a crappy worker in a good relationship with either kind of company , and tend to quote that.

Main thing is, we all work in the field.. weather hazards, dogs, people , traffic, confined space situations, heavy equipment etc.. risks ya gotta take now and then.. all for a little chunk of the pie to bring home and buy the chicken breasts and beer.

(see how I turned it back to beer ?)
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Comon it was getting peaceful around here.opcornsmile:

Years of Experience
    All of them

If anyone thinks a union is good for locators they are nuts. What happens when locating companies have to pay higher wages? They have to bid higher prices from the utility companies. What happens when you bid higher prices? You don't get the work. Simply put, unions would eliminate the need for outsourcing locating and the utilities would take all back in-house. Then unless you know (or blow) someone, you are out of a job. Then our power rates go up to pay for it.

Years of Experience
    na

Your gonna eat crow anyway in a few more months!!!!

When Obama and Biden wipe out the Ol Man and the floozy...

Wallys already predicted/warned going union if the dems take the election...

Food Kitty will ROAR and prices across the consumer staples spectrum will rocket on leverage...

Hows about them high dollar apples?!?!?!

Last edited by USIC1; September 1st, 2008 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Just think with a union us tenured 10-20 year locators would make the same pay as a 1-2 year locator.

Not to mention the stress between supervisors and locators. I worked for Teamsters Local 200 for 5 years and can't really think of any good things that the union did for us. Unless you consider strking and 1/4 of the guys losing their jobs good.
    I dont know how much a 1-2 year locator gets paid in your area but in my area its not alot. We're union out where im from and im not sure if Im for it or against it. Honestly I think we'd get paid more without a union.

Oh $#*!, here we go again.

STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherlocator View Post
    If anyone thinks a union is good for locators they are nuts. What happens when locating companies have to pay higher wages? They have to bid higher prices from the utility companies. What happens when you bid higher prices? You don't get the work. Simply put, unions would eliminate the need for outsourcing locating and the utilities would take all back in-house. Then unless you know (or blow) someone, you are out of a job. Then our power rates go up to pay for it.
    Here in Wisconsin we had a union at CLS about 5 years ago and when it came time to rebid our contract with our 'main' utility, the union wanted to raise everyones wages so high that CLS bid real high, lost the contract and nearly 100 damage prevention techs were out of jobs.
    I sat on the nagotiating commitee and all we got for a contract was the Employee Handbook with a wage scale that topped out at $17.00 an hour.
    The so called union reps from IBEW sat on the FAT backsides when it came to standing for a tech that was being disciplined.
    Take a look at the autoworkers, airlines and other troubled industries, ALL UNION. The only place that a union works is in the government. When wages go up the government just taxes the rest of us to pay for it. When private industry is union, how do they pay for the higher wages? LAYOFFS!!!
    I for one say a union is completely useless keep them out of your company!!!!!!!!!!!!

If my company went union I am sure I would have to take a cut in pay! And I am not willing to do that. Plus I think unions in this industry would never work. Utility companies outsource this part of their business because it is cheaper than having a union worker perform this duty. And it takes away the liability for them.
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

I think.. if you think.. that people in control of your wages are more interested in morals that money.. then you dont need a union. Ya.. unions add an extra cost (all that friggin International office and wages crapola)..

But if you can imagine that a majority of the people in control of your wages/lifestyle/future are more interested in their own money, and you're willing to just accept whatever they tell you is necessary.. then you're heading downhill.

Human greed will seperate us into a more defined have/have-not culture with time. The ultimate control of this will be the acceptance of the end user to the quality of product/service. Not a good sign when you looksee at your local Walmart parking lot, is it... but it does hold fast.

So the race is.. who will perform a good enough quality job for the lowest price. I know of people (union) who think that a subpar job is good enough, and the push is on to remind them that its not. Takes time, but it is a message thats spreading, i think.

The professional guys in the nonunion trades are doin their part.. sometimes i question why it has to be a race to the bottom though.. next guy along might do your job as well as you.. but for $5 less. Sound good to you ? Maybe you can do the same good job for $5 less than him.. heck why not ? Not like you actually need some bbq steaks.. soup will be ok. Hey, whatever you think is fair is ok too, right ? As long as the company is in the red.. thats the main thing..

(disclaimer.. typed under the influence of wine..)
    (May you live in interesting times)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast