Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Union

Years of Experience

I forgot to add that most the IBEW shops in this area don't get vacation,sickpay, or holiday pay. So even if they were able to get a little more money losing 4 weeks vacation,sick pay, and holiday pay doesn't seem like a fair trade to me.

JMHO

Thumbs down yea...unions do not guarantee more money

I know long time union CLS locators in a northeast state earn at least $3/hr LESS than non union areas and they get NO support...my buddy says they just take the dues...15+ year guys making 17 and change an hour!

Banned

So what the answer Guys. I am still waiting for better answer. I am Just trying to help are fellow locators survive. It is so easy point out things wrong with ideal and not any better ideals

Banned

Default Attention Cablevine

I would like to remove this thread do to there is no interest

Quote Originally Posted by Locatingart View Post
    I would like to remove this thread do to there is no interest
    I think he's finally seeing the light
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Apparently you have never seen how much the Presidents of unions and their officers make. It's just as bad as CEOs and COO's of companies. Most of us working stiffs would be happy to earn a decent living and not give our money to those who "claim" to represent the working man. My money goes to supporting my family and my voice is my own. My union steward was a blow hard who when my time to stand up for my rights came, he bailed and threw me under the bus. Lost my job and lost my belief that unions were worth a damn. Thank god for the old crusty job site super who called me back and gave me the father to son talk. Went back to work and kept my mouth shut. Told the worthless SOB of a union steward and his fancy pants pal the BA to kiss my proverbial behind. Speak your mind and don't let others do your talking, especially when they take your money. If they did it for free, they'd get my respect. Check out the parking lot of the union hall and see what the BA drives. I bet its a fancy truck or car. Where do they get the money?

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Check out the parking lot of the union hall and see what the BA drives. I bet its a fancy truck or car. Where do they get the money?

A few years back I had to negotiate with the gangsters OOPS I mean Teamsters. I drove a 5 year old Toyota Corolla, he drove a brand new Crown Vic and made 50% more money than I did as a manager of 175 staff.

Grievences also drove me crazy. Few had much merit but proceded anyway. One fellow working for me refused to pee in a bottle, a requirement for long haul drivers. I refused to put him on long hauls. He grieved, I stood firm. His grievance went away for something like $50.00 the difference between what he made working the city vs working the road. What a freeking waste of time and resources.

While I believe unions have their place, it is the stupidity that puts many people off unions.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth.

South Kansas

17 an hour sounds good to me. Sitting around on my ass doing nothing earning that kind of jack sounds like good money for me.

Last edited by 2RUDE; June 21st, 2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    Had there been no union I'm not sure how I would have fared, but I was certainly glad to have union protection at this time. Peace Out...Jim
    Had there been no union, you would have been shit-canned. Period.

With a union, you have at the very minimum, two things.

- Collective bargaining

- The right to have a union member advocate for you if you're being "disciplined".

Those two things are usually worth the price of admission alone.

And yes, there are bad things about unions.

I can tell you stories all day about Chicago shenanigans...

But the bottom line:

Any port in a storm folks, any port.

Default Let me get this right!

2RUDE

So you are thank full for the union that saved your butt from being fired? The same union that brought back the POS who was buddies with the guy who was promoted to the position he was in so he could fire you? I am just wondering?

Default RE

Last edited by 2RUDE; June 21st, 2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: .

Years of Experience

Default Re: Union

Today while locating at a new Menards building under construction the Teamsters 200 were striking and sat in front of the entrances and didn't let anyone in. They were mad because they used non-union drivers to deliver some structual steel. Man were they pissed when I walked right over the silt fence in the property. I guess they thought I cared.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Today while locating at a new Menards building under construction the Teamsters 200 were striking and sat in front of the entrances and didn't let anyone in. They were mad because they used non-union drivers to deliver some structual steel. Man were they pissed when I walked right over the silt fence in the property. I guess they thought I cared.

And they didnt do nothing about it cause you are not even associated with thier type of work haha

Years of Experience

USIC1 You keep promoting the union. If I remember right you work for a union shop already. If the union is so great you must make a really good pay scale and never have to worry about production. And really never want to leave your job because the union has done so well for you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast