Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Union

Years of Experience

Default Re: Union

Oh, and for what it is worth. Anyone who thinks that a locator who is responsible for multiple contracts can be self sufficient in one year.........is on the pipe.

I don't consider most locators to be the equivalent of a journeyman tradesman for at least 3 to 5 years depending on the contracts and support/ training.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I haven't heard much about the progress of the union in Indiana and Illinois. I know the ears are perked up here in Wisconsin and the guys up here are following what is going on

The union is a band aid or more like a tourniquet, trying to stop the bleeding of what USIC is taking form the locator.

I believe here in Midwest they were paying like $5-7 for catv. They justified it they would make money by shear volume and since we were there to locate the other utilities it was no more gas or locators needed.

Years of Experience

In less than one year, I consider myself an adequate Locator. To date, nothing that I've marked has been hit, but I did rack two damages that came three months after the original ticket because there was a change in the scope... and because I said the service was aerial over their original scope.That was my fault. I was a month out of training. I think that a lot can be learned about the job after the first year, but as far as being proficient at practices... How much time do you need?

If I can trace my lines, and cover mine (and my company's asses), what more is NECESSARY to being a "self sufficient" locator? I don't talk to my soup unless he wants to send me out of the area, or I need to get supplies for a tailgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    In less than one year, I consider myself an adequate Locator. To date, nothing that I've marked has been hit, but I did rack two damages that came three months after the original ticket because there was a change in the scope... and because I said the service was aerial over their original scope.That was my fault. I was a month out of training. I think that a lot can be learned about the job after the first year, but as far as being proficient at practices... How much time do you need?

If I can trace my lines, and cover mine (and my company's asses), what more is NECESSARY to being a "self sufficient" locator? I don't talk to my soup unless he wants to send me out of the area, or I need to get supplies for a tailgate.
    Document, document, document!! Make sure your documentation is very thorough and ANY changes or anyone you talk to needs to be documented with dates and times. Make your pictures a "story" of your locate, with consecutive photos that include permanent landmarks taken at right angles.

No offense and please don't take this as a personal attack but really how hard of tickets are you completing? Are you running projects that consist of multiple miles of heavy utilitied areas in addition to running an area of coverage with emergencies? Maybe you are and if you are then you are probably the minority. I'm just trying to say most guys at 1 year think they are good but aren't usually near as good as they think they are. Most 1st years are pretty sheltered from the true realities that are out there. What exactly is defined as an adequate locator as you say? I think it takes a good 3 years before a tech is truly becoming solid in all areas but there are rare instances of guys they can take it all on by their first year, but like I say, very rare.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

In less than one year, I consider myself an adequate Locator. ....... I think that a lot can be learned about the job after the first year, but as far as being proficient at practices... How much time do you need?
    Enjoy.... Although in less than a year you have learned a lot, I would have to agree with 6feet that it takes much more than a year or so to become a proficient locator. It is not saying that you do not have potential, but to be adequately exposed to situations, takes a lot of time and a ton of locates. 3 years would be a decent base to start, but 5 years and some travelling to other areas will give you a much broader range of experience. Even after 10 years, you still learn something new! There are so many variables in locating, it just takes a lot of experience and every locate is different. Hopefully you will stay in the business and "hone" your skills even more through the years! Never stop learning.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213