Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unibar DPG Phones

Default Unibar DPG Phones

I am wondering if there are any Unibar employees in other states who are being forced to give up company phones, with the company giving 30 dollars a month towards a phone bill?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Unibar DPG Phones

I heard the guys in WI are the first of the year

Years of Experience

what type of phone can you get for 30 dollars a month ??? good luck to you guys with DPG !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MS811 View Post
    I am wondering if there are any Unibar employees in other states who are being forced to give up company phones, with the company giving 30 dollars a month towards a phone bill?
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    what type of phone can you get for 30 dollars a month ??? good luck to you guys with DPG !!!
    Last edited by daman1; December 27th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

When a company cannot afford to operate an all too vital communications system bouncing paychecks cannot be far behind. Time to look for another employer.

In the meantime get a Virgin Mobile type phone. Pay $30 for airtime and when that runs out explain you have to wait until the reimbursement check is cashed. If it were their phone they would have a say in it, they did not provide the phone - it is not their say.

Not only does a locator need to be in contact with their management the phone is needed becasue many times tickets contain call for access instructions, call for locate information, all kinds of calls are needed. The locator is going to need more than $30 a month and they are basically asking for a kickback to work there,

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

they are giving $30 a month towards a phone? Who is buying the phone, that is another $50at the low end? lowest I have seen is $35 a month for unlimited use of a phone. $30 towards a phone will get you 8 hours of use a day (weekday only) of it answering calls from the company.

i'd tell them to up that to at least 50 a month or tell them you have prepay which only lasts so long. when i was at com ed they did not have enough phones so if i had to call a customer i would get .50 cents per call. i'd make 10 calls on average a day so me using my phone paid for my monthly charges and to top it off since i worked for exelon i got a 19% discount on my line.(i still had this discount years after i left until i terminated my verizon contract) i'd be more than happy to have to use my personal phone for work as long as i got a monthly allowance from my company that came close to my monthly bill was.

Years of Experience

I think the question is whether it is acceptable for the company to not provide you with a phone? Is the computer that you are using come with a means to use the internet? Is this provided by the company? (I.E. air card that allows you to update your que via the internet.) If they do not, then this is an unacceptable practice. But, most companies have a means by wich you can use the internet in your vehicle. If this is the case, then you do have communications with your management, either via skype, google phone, email, IM and chat.

If the company provides compensation to help pay for your phone, consider yourself blessed to work for a company that does this.

I have worked for numerous companies that provided me a phone that I could only use for work, and would charge me for any minutes I used for non-worked related calls.

Or they did not provide me with a phone and expected me to use my own. (Which means I could shut it off after work, or ignore any incoming calls from work.)

At least they are subsidizing your phone wich makes you able to get whatever personnal phone you desire, and only have to carry one phone.

Technically, a phone provided by an employer, can be considered compensation and can be required to be claimed on your taxes as such.

Me, I don't care what they do, or how they do it. I will use whatever means available to maintain communications with my employer.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by PokerAdam View Post
    I think the question is whether it is acceptable for the company to not provide you with a phone? Is the computer that you are using come with a means to use the internet? Is this provided by the company? (I.E. air card that allows you to update your que via the internet.) If they do not, then this is an unacceptable practice. But, most companies have a means by wich you can use the internet in your vehicle. If this is the case, then you do have communications with your management, either via skype, google phone, email, IM and chat.

If the company provides compensation to help pay for your phone, consider yourself blessed to work for a company that does this.

I have worked for numerous companies that provided me a phone that I could only use for work, and would charge me for any minutes I used for non-worked related calls.

Or they did not provide me with a phone and expected me to use my own. (Which means I could shut it off after work, or ignore any incoming calls from work.)

At least they are subsidizing your phone wich makes you able to get whatever personnal phone you desire, and only have to carry one phone.

Technically, a phone provided by an employer, can be considered compensation and can be required to be claimed on your taxes as such.

Me, I don't care what they do, or how they do it. I will use whatever means available to maintain communications with my employer.
    The implication, becasue it is implied and not expressly stated, that "Technically, a phone provided by an employer, can be considered compensation and can be required to be claimed on your taxes as such" is incorrect. In our case it is not a taxable item.

There is a kernel of truth but does not apply to most of the circumstances these phones are used. We are provided the phone so that we can communicate with our employers or with people with an interest in the tickets we perform. All this is work related and not taxable, not a penny.

If the employer provided a phone and we were allowed to make regular private use of it then it would be at least partially taxable. If we are ordered to work beyond scheduled hours using the phone to make arrangements with home does not breach into taxable private use as it is the same as using the company land-line for the same purpose if we worked out of an office. The phone call home is for the purpose of working beyond scheduled hours and is work related.

The actual cost, gross cost minus reimbursement, of such an employee provided phone is tax deductible.

If your employer cannot afford to put their own phones into the field it is time to find a new employer. It is not a matter of , oh, they changed their minds and are not doing it now. This is the tip of an iceberg and what it indicates is a company in severe financial distress. It is preferable to get off the Titanic before it sinks.

Years of Experience

Thanks for the clarification on the Taxes Pro. I made the comment to provoke a response. My point was that I have worked at many companies at different levels and the motivation of why each company does something is always a representative of the way the management thinks. It could just be a shrewd move on the part of the company to push the responsibility of maintaining the phone onto the the individual, and not on the company. Since most of us would have a cell phone regardless, I found it refreshing that a company would actually help me to subsidize the phone that I wanted, and eliminated the need for me to carry a personal phone and a company phone (usually the cheapest one available). And if you get the right phone, you also eliminate the need for a GPS (if you use one).

Years of Experience

Yes, every level of employee for DPG is switching.

Doesn't mean there will be 'bounced checks' soon...I've worked for several other companies the last few years and they would pay for my travel, lodging, and car 100% (which would easily cost 5K+/month) AND they did contracts for Tier 1 wireless providers and they still didn't provide us phones. They gave us a 35$/month credit to use our own phone even though they banked crazy money.

Years of Experience

I would go with the " bouncing checks idea" to sum things up !!!! They won't be around much longer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm211 View Post
    Yes, every level of employee for DPG is switching.

Doesn't mean there will be 'bounced checks' soon...I've worked for several other companies the last few years and they would pay for my travel, lodging, and car 100% (which would easily cost 5K+/month) AND they did contracts for Tier 1 wireless providers and they still didn't provide us phones. They gave us a 35$/month credit to use our own phone even though they banked crazy money.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MS811 View Post

I'm not trying to spammy the'Vine but I'd be happy to pony-up the $20.00 extra per month to have my own T-Mobile cell telephone line. The bummer would be the up-front money to have the cell phone I'd want. I've used T-Mobile 15 years and I'm very happy with the coverage and service.

----------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

thanks Wing for that info ....but no t mobile here that I am aware of ???? just in the big cities !!!

Years of Experience

I've wished there was an option for a phone credit if you didn't want the company phone. Most guys have a personal phone with unlimited minutes anyway and I hate carrying two phones all day at work so I would like a phone credit and just to use my personal phone for work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast