Thread: U-Teck Locator Vest Debut

Years of Experience
    30+

Default U-Teck Locator Vest Debut

Hello everyone. This week at the CGA conference the Pack Rat Vest debut. I was lucky enough to test the Rat Pack Vest out in some video's that were made in conjunction with Rhino Markers. I was privileged to wear this vest for over an hour while different videos were made.

I found the vest to be well balanced, plenty of pockets to hold clamp, leads, paint water bottle, cell phone and still have pocket for extras. The quivers on the back are well within reach. I looked at the stitching and found it to be well done in the corners of the pockets and on the quivers.

I am wearing an XL and they do need to come out with larger sizes. After an hour of wearing the vest it did become hot. U-TECK will also be making a mesh vest also. They will be available in DOT Class 2 and 3 standards.

The one and only downfall I found, was the quivers need to be a little lower as the flags are at your ear's. I will leave it to Russ as to the cost. I believe the cost is within reason of a serious locator.

The web site is WWW.UTECK.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cga-001.jpg   cga-004.jpg   cga-005.jpg   cga-021.jpg   cga-016.jpg  

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: U-Teck Locator Vest Debut

Very Nice.

Years of Experience

They look great.

I really like the Rhino Markers. I wish our company would spring for some.

Thank you UULC. I appreciate your comments and the photos look great. I also want to thank you for your time this week at the CGA conference. I learned alot of valuable information there and met a few other Cablevine members as well as countless locators who were all very very impressed with our vests. We were more than pleased with the turnout and are looking forward to attending next year in San Diego.

I noticed the plastic flags in the back. How would the quivers hold up to metal flags? I would think not so well.

Okay, not to piss you off Blue, but the pictures just hit my Funny Bone this am(probably too much caffeine already) but somehow the vest, fully loaded, reminded of 2 completely different things: First, I thought "Samurai" because of the flags sticking up over the shoulders like crossed Samurai swords. Second, an image of a guy on a street corner that is a "One Man Band" - you know the ones with a guitar, harmonica, cymbals on the knees, shoulder mounted horn, bells and other instruments on his feet, etc.
    I wish you luck with your endeavors.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I love the concept but was curious on how durable the fabric is? Ergonomicly speaking...shouldn't the can pouches be at an angle instead of verticle?

Could definately of used one of those quite a few times. I always wound up using my paintball gear for the hikes. The paks i used fit a can of paint quite nicely. and the pack was basicly a back brace with elastic pouches with flaps so cans wouldn't fall out.

Example...

http://www.redzcomfort.com/storefront/detail.aspx?ID=54

Hello....this post is in response to comments from gypsygrl, sprayandpray, and Mke
    ~gypsygrl - inside each flag quiver is a very tough vinyl pocket where the flag staffs are inserted...you cant see them from the photos unfortunately. They are 2"I.D. x 6"long, sewn flat on one end. This resolved the wear, and penetration issue that you might see while using wire flags. Thank you for your comments.
    ~sprayandpray - perhaps you should start your morning off with a shot of decaf.....then move on to the harder stuff. ROFL. I will say that my own mind twists like that from time to time, so you were successful in giving me a complete visual. Thank you for the luck as well as your comment.
    ~Mke - The fabric on both our standard and mesh versions are very tough. We were careful to make sure that stress points on all of the pocket corners were stitched very well. As for the angle of the paint pouches, I had the vest drawn, and prototyped with a slight angle in the beginning but later found that...(you all can try this at home)...if I put my arm behind my back and imagine removing and replacing a can, my normal motion is straight up and down and not in and out at an angle. Thoughts? Flaps on the paint can pockets were another consideration but a flap made you work too hard to replace the can back in the pocket. We just made the can pockets deeper to prevent them from falling out as you bend over.

It seems to me that the two inner pockets for paint cans would be unreachable without removing the vest. Am I wrong?

Years of Experience
    30+

2RUDE, I am the one with the vest on and I could reach them just fine. Had a little trouble getting the used one back in. Some would probably just toss them to the ground.

It does look pretty good and reasonable.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

What are the price ranges and when are they available?

Years of Experience
    30+

Please do not quote me, I think they are looking toward 69.95. But when I was asked at the CGA when showing and wearing it what thought a locator would pay, my response was $50.00-$60.00. The price would come down if bought in quantity.

This is not something you could wear if in and out of the truck on blow and go tickets. This would be best used on long road/project jobs.

I will say it is an outstanding vest for long jobs. You can carry everything you need. Just as a side note, If you wear an XL normally and it fits you just right, I would go one size bigger as once you are loaded down it does become tight and restrictive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2.jpg   img_3.jpg   img_4.jpg   img_5.jpg  
    Last edited by UULC; February 21st, 2009 at 01:11 PM.