Thread: Truck Question.....

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Truck Question.....

So, its finally happening. They are finally getting around to giving me a truck built within the past 20 years. (Ok 19years). I have finally been told to list the stuff I want with my new work rig. I've got no choice in what they are giving me (2012 Sierra Hybrid) but I do get to choose on how i'm setting it up. Which leads me to this question.

Canopy or Bedcover?

I've always had a Canopy on my trucks, but I have always had issues with them leaking or the way the contents slide around. I have never had a Bedcover on a work truck and was wondering how you guys like working out of a bed cover?

I have a crap load of radios going into it, but they won't let me have a siren (my current truck has one and i have gotten into a bit of a pickle with it). I've got a light bar,spot light, Fire Estinguisher, safety kit and what nots.

They asked me if I needed a "shelving system" similar to survey trucks. I left that open.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

Mke

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Truck Question.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    So, its finally happening. They are finally getting around to giving me a truck built within the past 20 years. (Ok 19years). I have finally been told to list the stuff I want with my new work rig. I've got no choice in what they are giving me (2012 Sierra Hybrid) but I do get to choose on how i'm setting it up. Which leads me to this question.

Canopy or Bedcover?

I've always had a Canopy on my trucks, but I have always had issues with them leaking or the way the contents slide around. I have never had a Bedcover on a work truck and was wondering how you guys like working out of a bed cover?

I have a crap load of radios going into it, but they won't let me have a siren (my current truck has one and i have gotten into a bit of a pickle with it). I've got a light bar,spot light, Fire Estinguisher, safety kit and what nots.

They asked me if I needed a "shelving system" similar to survey trucks. I left that open.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

Mke
    I'd go fiberglass cover and a survey box for sure. Oh, and bitch at them for buying you a GM and not a real truck, like a ford.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Why isnt a topper a option? I dont care for the canopy covers either they leak around the tailgate

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I prefer a tonneau cover, metal with the hinged spine running down the middle of the truck bed.

This way the tops open from the side where we work from. We only need to open one side at a time so the other side can stay closed. This way the other side is shielded from rain. Even the open side give some shelter from rain allowing me to easily work in a light rain without shorting out my locate equipment.

The tailgate still lets down if need be.

Most of the other guys hate this set up, but not for how it is used at work. With this type of cover they cannot make personal use of the truck to move large items (refrigerators, washers, dryers, furniture) without unbolting and removing the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I prefer a tonneau cover, metal with the hinged spine running down the middle of the truck bed.

This way the tops open from the side where we work from. We only need to open one side at a time so the other side can stay closed. This way the other side is shielded from rain. Even the open side give some shelter from rain allowing me to easily work in a light rain without shorting out my locate equipment.

The tailgate still lets down if need be.

Most of the other guys hate this set up, but not for how it is used at work. With this type of cover they cannot make personal use of the truck to move large items (refrigerators, washers, dryers, furniture) without unbolting

and removing the cover.
    Our tonneau covers leak also and it's nearly impossible to get a pump and hose under the cover. Also, it prevents you from picking up stuff that other people discard, like chairs, bicycles, tools, toys, etc.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Ifindit, our of the four current vehicles our group has, three are fords. Mine is a 92 and its still kickin. The black sheep is a full size toyota. I'm more nervous about it being a hybrid. I'm not known for being easy on vehicles =)

As for a "topper", its still an option, but I was wondering of any space saving ideas for them. Last two had a dead spot up by the cab where nothing but rusted flags and random small tools would collect. The cover i'm considering is a Diamondback 270 ( http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/270/ ) I'm thinking this would give enough space to hold all the equipment and not have too much dead space. The truck is a crew cab as well, so the Fiberoptic camera and some small toos can ride up front.

Do any of you have a locate specific box or cabinet in the back?

Mke