Thread: Tool Pouches, Yay or Nay?

Default Tool Pouches, Yay or Nay?

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the locating world and a few guys I work with carry pouches while others don't. I am wondering how many of y'all use them and what type do you use? I have looked at a few the Dewalt DG5101 Small Technician's pouch (Amazon.com: DEWALT DG5101 Small Technician's Pouch: Home Improvement) and the ToughBuilt TB-CTP-01022A ToughBuilt Technician's Pouch (Amazon.com: ToughBuilt TB-CTP-01022A ToughBuilt Technician's Pouch: Home Improvement). I know they're long names for a tool pouch but I like specifics. Any help or comments would be great.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tool Pouches, Yay or Nay?

Personally, I've never used a tool pouch or thought of trying one. My bag that holds my transmitter has some pockets that work perfectly for holding all my tools.

It is easy to lose a tool out of a pouch and not notice it. The tools can get hooked on a bush or something and be pulled out without you knowing it. It will be lost and you will not know where it is. If you lose a tool out of your transmitter bag, 99% of the time the tool will be right where you left it. Next to the hook-up point.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I've never gotten used to carrying a bag or pouch. I've tried and I have had bosses that have tried to make me, but to no avail I couldn't get used to it. Typically I'll have a surveyors vest on and they have more than enough pockets to hold anything I may use. I tend not to overload it. I have my can wrench, vault wrench, and a leather man. Thats about it. I have other tools, but those get me most of everything. If I need something else I'll go back to the truck to get it. If I have to hoof it to the locate area, I make sure I bring more. That usually consists of loading up the back pouch of the survey vest. ( Seco 8265 Series Class 2 Safety Vest with Outlast Collar and Mesh Back )

mke
    Last edited by Mke; October 11th, 2012 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added link

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket, the kind for paint or joint compound. They are easily found discarded at construction sites so that part is free.

Next I put in it a tool caddy insert. A canvas but usually synthetic insert with a short section that fits inside the bucket. This does not reach the bottom and usually will have a few pockets. The outside section of the tool caddy is in two section so that there are two small open sections so it fits around the buckets wire handle. This section has more pockets to put various items into, the is the part you have to buy.

The transmitter goes into the bucket and the smaller items into the caddy pockets.

Drill some small holes in the bottom of the bucket or even in a light rain water will start filling it up.

I keep the most commonly used small items in my pockets.

Flags are another thing to carry and can make the work awkward and slow. Some people tape a section of plastic pipe onto their paint stick to carry flags but
    I find the weight makes using the stick awkward and uncomfortable.

I like an arrow quiver to carry flags. They come with varying sizes of straps and you can carry them across your back, along your side or hooked onto you pants belt. (Careful hanging this from you belt, has a tendency to pull your pants down!)

Because the flag end weighs more a clutch of flags will start pulling the quiver down and dump out the flags. I place a few small stones, bolts or whatever into the bottom of the quiver to balance out the flags.

All very good ideas. I do have a few bucket bosses lying around somewhere, and am gonna try the pockets on the vest I have. Hopefully they hold up they've only been used for my camera, pen and flip notebook, and camera batteries. That is a good point about tools falling out easily I had been using a small electricians pouch and constantly dropped my can wrench and Comcast tool every time I bent over.

Years of Experience

my vest from Ratpack holds all my tools that I need and my machine bag holds the rest of my stuff.....ped wrench and security wrench are in my pants pockets where they will always stay ! ....never have used a pouch thinge !!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What happened to the locator vests? Anyone using them?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

I have and use one. It was a demo, and lots of our crew liked it, but the price is too high for us.

Years of Experience
    30+

I still use my Rat Pak vest on long locates. It holds the 4 cans of paint and the flags i need.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Cargo pants in the winter and cargo shorts in the summer.

Years of Experience

I've also never been able to use a pouch. The cargo pants are all I use also. The side pocket holds my ped wrench and a leatherman attatched to your belt is all I carry on me. The rest of the tools go into the transmitter bag. The older I get the less tools I carry in the transmitter bag. These bags can get heavy.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Cargo pants in the winter and cargo shorts in the summer.
    I've also never been able to use a pouch. The cargo pants are all I use also. The side pocket holds my ped wrench and a leatherman attatched to your belt is all I carry on me. The rest of the tools go into the transmitter bag. The older I get the less tools I carry in the transmitter bag. These bags can get heavy.
    Carhartt is the only brand I wear. My pants are the Carhartt washed denim work dungarees.

These beauties have side pockets on both legs for my tools and give me years of service. I rotate five pairs year 'round and I can't remember the last time I bought replacements. My retailer sells these pants for less than $30.00.

-------------------------------------------------------------