Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool box

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Tool box

I have a box of miscellaneous items to help in my locating. Some of the items I find indispensable is a leatherman and a 4 in 1 screwdriver.

What do you have that you find indispensable? This could help out some of the newbies.

Years of Experience

Default I love free tools..........

A leatherman is definately first on the list. I don't think I could finish a locate without it. Secondly is a ratchet with 3/8th and 7/16in sockets to loosen the bonding nuts that AT&T puts on with a torque wrench. And last a sledge hammer to break loose manholes and handholes.

I have a ton of tools in my truck but these are the three I can't work without. The funny thing is all the misc. tools in my trucks are tools I've found on the job. Everything from staple guns,screw drivers, hammers, hacksaws, and utility knives.

Almost forgot electrical tape, I've never had to buy any because the utility companies leave half rolls everywhere. I seem to always need to tape something.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Man, I hate to beat a dead horse, but I use my LEATHERMAN TONS during an average day. I went out and bought a cell phone case for it with a velcro close. I carry it on my belt and put the strap between the handles to "lock" it in the holder.

I also had a pedestal wrench that allows me to open telephone peds on one end and the other end help me undo the nuts that hold all the green ground wires so I can unbond them. This was a gift from my mentor.

I have a 5/16" allen key as well because SOME of our crossboxes/fiber cabinets here are locked AND have additional allen key locks top and bottom before you can open the damned things. I have found that the straight screw driver on the leatherman will turn these allen key locks also.

I too find a great many uses for electrical tape and find lots of it in the new subdivisions I work.

Leatherman, 2 screwdrivers, snips, shovel, wire stripper, CATV ped wrench, ATT ped wrench, 16 oz hammer( for stubborn pedestals) 3 lb hammer ( for really stubborn pedestals) tow strap( for really, really stubborn pedestals.
    , air pump, jumper cables, 4-way tire wrench ( for tires and ATT handholes), Socket set, tape(both electrical and Duct), C clamp, and probably a few more things I'm not remembering right now.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

I find the number one tool that too many people forget to use on a locate is:

THEIR HEAD

Some people say I am the biggest tool!

Seriously, a leatherman, a hammer (2lb sledge) for driving ground rods in the winter and persuading ETC & valve covers, steel vice grips to clamp down of finicky gas services & good old common sense are my best "extra" tools for locating.

Of course, I have a tool bag full of other things like lead extensions & the street light sensor cover we talked about on another thread. As locators we need to be recourseful if nothing else.

Peace...
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Years of Experience

Robogrip pliers, 5 in 1 screwdriver, allen keys, and a box of rubber EMS gloves (for the icky pick) they are great if you have a nasty cross box or old jam packed pedestal ohh and a roll of electrical tape (for when you skin cables and fibers)

Years of Experience
    na

red bug /fire ant/skeeter spray (chiggers for the yankee crowd)...

Wasp and hornet/dog repellent spray since I dont get pepper spray issued...
    Last edited by USIC1; May 31st, 2008 at 08:45 AM.

Now, my question is: how many of these handy tools have you lost? Irwin had put out an all-in-one vise-grip tool several years ago that you can't find ANYWHERE anymore. It was sort of a leatherman on steroids. Lost it, of course. Lost a leatherman, of course. Now that I don't locate telephone anymore, I guess I don't need such tools. Still...

Years of Experience

extra paint stick.....hahahahha.....good attitude and my favorite....self motivation......some real good answers up there guys......

A 3 lb sledge to....
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Dont forget the small spool of wire for when you have to get a ground 30 feet away. This has also came in handy when the power co hooks onto the top of a streetlight for me.

I also carry a soldering iron/pen for quick repairs and butt set to check for dial tone.

Years of Experience
    na

Lets not forget the binoculars...

This is a classic cant do w/o especially in the summer...

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post

Pervert.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post

Binoculars are a must in the truck. I've never used them for searching for bikinis but to look at pole numbers and transformer numbers from the truck they are great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast