Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of switching companies

Default Thinking of switching companies

I currently work for utiliquest, I recently talk to someone from USIC. They are desperate for people in my area because they just took a contract away from us. They are offering better pay and a bonus to jump ship. I don't really know anything about USIC. Any thoughts, or warnings?

I am just considering my options to make things better for my family. I don't think I really want to leave and have no health care for 3 months and lose having all my sick time and vacation time.
    Last edited by Ryan Gardner; August 9th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Thinking of switching companies

Run as far as you can from usic. Never look back
    9 years exp

How are they about overtime? And what's is there expected production a hour?

Years of Experience

28 tix/8 in PA and OH, and all the overtime you'd want once you prove to your supervisor that you know your shite. Until winter, at least. especially if they are hard up for locators.

Do not make the biggest mistake in your life. Get out of the locate business all together before going to work there

Quote Originally Posted by locator00566 View Post
    Do not make the biggest mistake in your life. Get out of the locate business all together before going to work there
    Why do you say that? Have you worked for them?
    I'm trying to get the full scoop on them to make sure I make the right decision.

My problem is, I give so much. Between helping when ever and where ever they need me, even if it's extra travel. I stay late to make sure nothing gets extended, and I get paid shitty.

Years of Experience
    30+

If you go to USIC get ready to be bent over. They will promise you the world and then tell you to bend over so they can give it to you.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

No offense to the rest of the guys, but Contract locating sucks..... If you are going to get shite upon, you might as well get as much money as possible for it. Utiliquest is owned by Dycom industries which is of the same cloth and buisness plan as USIC. Go for the money, if they are hurting, and you have enough experience, they may just bump you to lead....... Which sucks, but they may give you another $.50 an hour to cover the medication.

Mke

I'll put it to you this way. I use to love locating before USIC took over the company I worked for. It took 6 months for them to ruin locating for me for good. I saw a lot of good people get screwed and I saw a lot of empty promises. They care nothing about their employees. It is the worst company I have ever seen. They try to make their employees lie and do dishonest things which puts thousands of peoples lives, properties, and businesses at risk. I hung on as long as I could but everbody has their breaking point.

If you do not take my advice just be sure to buy the biggest supply of lube you can find. It helps with being bent over and screwed.

Years of Experience

wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Honestly,
    I worked for Dycom and USIC, and I could have cared less who I was employed by. I did the jump ship thing on the contract side to chase the dollar signs for the betterment of my family. Its all the same ball of wax. The only difference will be how many utilities you are locating, the employees you are working with and for. But I will say that USIC seemed to take away more time form me with safety meetings and phone meetings as an attempt to keep people more on the strait and narrow. My vote is chase the dollars, look for an in-house position as a part time job on the side, or a private position. In the meantime, jump ship as contracts change hands, and chase the presidents.

Years of Experience

All these companies are the same now. Chase the dollars bro. If they are really hurting, they can opt to waive the waiting time for benefits to kick in.
    Tell them it is a deal breaker, no bennies, no employee.
    But before you chase the money, talk to the locators that are currently employed by them. See if they are satisfied with their situation. Try to find out the pay scale, how much overtime they are working, production requirements, etc.. You have to ask the guys in the field were you are, otherwise, asking this question on the vine will get you a mixed bag of results, but no real data about what is going on right now in your market.
    I have jumped from company to company, state to state. Sometimes my pay has gone up, sometimes it has gone down. Sometimes the job sucked, sometimes it was great. But I've always looked before I leapt.

Years of Experience

Oh yeah, keep us posted.

They are training everyone right now, there is no one in the field to get an opnion from.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast