Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new Career as a Locator

Years of Experience

Default Re: Thinking of a new Career as a Locator

well said scap....like a true believer when dealing with flags....hahahahhaa !!!!!! yeah dude as GoldenBoy said up top feel free to PM us and we'll help answer personal questions.....GODSPEED to ya dude!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Scap, thanks for taking the time to reply the way you did; if the guys in my area are anything like all of you here, I will really like this job if hired.

I am writing down every tip you and everyone else has given me. This really sounds like a good job, and like you, I was already thinking that if things get backed up, I would get out there on Sunday to catch up. I just hope that doesn't have to happen all the time. But I guess if it did, I could always look forward to the winter to get some time off.

Semper Fi,

Bob

I PM'ed you Yahoo!

Its a great job, if you like working alone and can excel at decision.

You are responsible for an area and you are pretty much your own boss.

Once you learn this trade you can always find work. Every state has dig laws that require utility locating.

Some downsides of the job:

It's a contract business- You may have to find a job every 3 years.
    Office politics (like most jobs) often dtermine promotions.
    Call out duty- Get a call at 3am to mark a property for a water main break.
    You work in the elements.
    Production vs. quality debate- A lot of the bigger firms say quality but preach production, meanwhile your held to both standards.

Years of Experience

USMCSS - Welcome Aboard! Check this out:

Step one - SM&P Utility Resources, Inc. Recruiting Video

Step two - Be able to pass a Whiz Quiz!

Step three - SM&P Employment Information Request

Step four - Use Goldenboy's name as a reference.

-----

Thanks guys; I actually have an interview this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Semper Fi,

Bob

Years of Experience
    na

I still say further your electronics degree maybe to the engineering level and use the service time to get in the government(local,federal) or a good(electric utility co.)...

This is a rather easy job to just settle but its up to you...

When I was doing time in the Corp. and friends would ask whether or not I thought they should go in...
    I always said get a degree and at least start a second Lt. You ll be halfway up the pay scale right out the gate and get some respect...

Thats my view on this locating career consideration...

At some point you need to throw in the towel on the tough job challenge and try to pursue the smarter work not the I can handle the elements garbage... I m not saying its overly hard and doesnt require a little mental challenge and yeah maybe theres some freedom but beyond that you will plateau in PAY and COMPENSATION and routine... These locating companys DO NOT OFFER ANYTHING like a major corporation... The 401k plan doesnt match any significant amount to what you contribute...So in other words long term you need to save everything to even fathom "retiring with a pot to piss in" when you walk out the door from most if not all these locating companys as a career...

It is more about where you want to be in five, ten years... Once you do this work long term it doesnt exactly qualify you getting hired doing any prestigious alternative...It really has no relatable field to cross over to that would match your salary...So in the end your just another shmuck or grunt with orange boots walking down the road with a paint stick...

You all new my true clors would have to shine through...

I SO LOVE MY JOB

Years of Experience

ok usic1...in a way ...you may be right... but not everyone has to live the rich mansion life like you do....to be happy!! hahahhah you know you are rich and just holding back..........ha!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    well said scap....like a true believer when dealing with flags....hahahahhaa !!!!!! yeah dude as GoldenBoy said up top feel free to PM us and we'll help answer personal questions.....GODSPEED to ya dude!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I put 350 flags out at Sherwood and Coursey yesterday. After I left that job, my back was sore as hell. I told one brutha that worked for BR water, 'If they keep me marking this intersection flagging it weekly, soon I'll be able to ducking hooks like Ray Robinson.' Tool didn't even know who I was talking about. "Who dat is?" ..."Just the greatest middleweight of all time, nobody special."

I overload on flags on road jobs that I have to keep marked, with 4-5 different crews doing shit. And I'm weird about it. I don't like anyone helping me, I'm not passionate about what I do but goddamnit I take pride in my work. Even if it takes me 9 hours like yesterday to wrap up the intersection, I still prefer to do it solo. That way, if there's a damage, it's no question who's fault it is. And, if there isn't a damage, (33+ high profile lines in this area, 2000ft in each direction it's a super busy urban intersection.) I look better for taking care of my own stuff. I do ask for help for certain things, i.e. if I have a 25+ conduit duct run that won't locate properly (lol), but if I know I can cover something, I just prefer to solo it.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by USMCSS View Post
    Semper Fi to you USIC1; O351/8541
    I too was an 0351! What a blast it was to fire the SMAW and watch the carnage!
    What's another word for thesaurus?

I completely hear where your coming from USIC1 and actually plan on continuing my education. But as Yahoo stated; I'm really not worried about making a fortune; I just want a secure job. My wife makes good money, so unless that changes, I will be happy with what I will be making if I get the position. Like you, I tell my kids when they talk about the Military to go Officer and fly jets or something; I only wish I had someone telling me that when I was a kid.

Thanks for looking out USIC1!

Semper Fi,

Bob

Had my second interview and I think it went pretty well. Now just waiting to hear back.

Semper Fi,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Color Blind View Post
    I too was an 0351! What a blast it was to fire the SMAW and watch the carnage!
    BACK BLAST AREA ALL SECURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi to you Color Blind. I was in from from Dec. 85 to Dec. 91.

Semper Fi,

Bob

'94 to '00 for me.
    Funny firing a weapon that's almost as dangerous on both ends! I barely caught the backblast from and AT4 once because I didn't swing my leg far enough to the side. It felt like a bullwhip hit me! I never did that again.

Glad to see you're up for your second interview. I've been here a combined total of 11 years (SM&P)....got some broken time. I've been applying for positions to get me out of the field now....I'm getting to the point I've had enough locating.
    Good luck!
    Semper Fi!
    What's another word for thesaurus?

First of all, THANK YOU very, very much. That's always a good sign that you had a 2nd interview. It's not a bad living. The pay isn't the greatest, but better than most most jobs without having a college degree, or experience. This job has its stresses. Still, This is a hell of alot better than retail.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast