Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new Career as a Locator

Default Thinking of a new Career as a Locator

Hello everyone,

Just joined the forum as I am thinking of becoming a locator. The job seems great in many aspects; I would like to get feedback from anyone that is willing to share about SM&P in Illinois.

I never worked in this field; I have an AA Degree in Electronics and 6 years prior Military experience but not in Electronics. Have worked in a lot of stressful places and can handle it; however, I would not want stress to be the norm 24/7.

Any input would be greatly appreciated; it seems like there are a lot of great people in this line of work and I really feel that I would like to be a part of it.

Semper Fi,

Bob

Years of Experience

Default Re: Thinking of a new Career as a Locator

I work for SM&P in WI. Don't know too much about IL. I don't let work bother me when I'm done. As with most jobs there is alot of stress in this job. I still would not think of doing anything else. If you like working independantly this may be the job for you. Beside the politics of management I really have no problems with my job. Any other questions just ask or PM me.

P.S. If you haven't applied yet PM me for my name. You can put me down as a referance and I'll get a referral.

Years of Experience
    na

Its right up your alley if your looking for "the suck redux"...

Just a little more independence but the same philosophy " dont bitch, accomplish what you think you cant, pray you marked the job right to survive , dont stress or dwell about the mission " pretty much the same animal...

And they still give you a gun to boot!!!!

Theres no glory or pedestal like being aprecaited for serving...

Im has been 0331...

Later good luck try to get a civil service job...
    Last edited by USIC1; December 5th, 2008 at 07:20 PM.

Don't put too much weight in what USIC1 says... he's very disgruntled and bitter.... overall it is a great job but like many things it can become very stressful at times... feast or famine type of job.. so save your money during the dig season...

Years of Experience

Use to do HVAC back in the 90s then I started at NOCUTS in 1999 and been doing it ever since have fun and learn from the guys who have been around the longest and throw that class room garbage out the door cause you cant learn the job from a book ...... any questions just ask any of us on here there is a ton of experience on this site

Years of Experience
    na

"Pigs love wallowing in #hit" "horses wear blinders"

Who qualifies discounting anothers opinion???

Beware the worthiness of a sugarcoaters...

Standards always exist...

How low others choose to go may qualify a variety of opinions...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    "Pigs love wallowing in #hit" "horses wear blinders"

Who qualifies discounting anothers opinion???

Beware the worthiness of a sugarcoaters...

Standards always exist...

How low others choose to go may qualify a variety of opinions...

What the hell are you blabing ...

Years of Experience
    na

Just put out a fire somewhere this was directed at Gypsy disqualifying my opinion...

Thought she had me on ignore minding her own business...

So much for her word on that...

Thanks to everyone for all the replys, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Semper Fi to you USIC1; O351/8541

Years of Experience

Consolidated Utilities has a footprint in Illinios as well. You may want to check them out.

www.consolidatedus.com

If you have thick skin and can separate work from home you'll be ok.

Years of Experience

this is a job like any other job except different....???hahahha if you want to survive you have to work ...some jobs are very easy and some jobs are very hard but for the most part this job is mostly easy....you don't have a boss looking over your shoulder all day or even part of the day ...summer times and such are great and like gypsy said winter times of work are very bad...up that way seems like you really need to know how to save your money for winter months......i do not know anything about the particular company information you seek but alot about the info you seek......with the amount of education and discipline (marines)....you have i think this career might be good for you....there's alot of your buddies (other marines) on this site that could offer some good info for you....post often and keep checking back to this site and you will get more information
    Last edited by yahoo; December 6th, 2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: wording
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Where at in Illinios are you located? PM me and I may be able to get you in contact with the right people.

Thanks a lot guys; and thanks to you for the motivation Yahoo! noOT4me, I'm going to PM you in a minute.

I have been reading a lot on here the last couple days and have come across a lot of great information. Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Semper Fi

One thing I've found about this job, is that it's all about going with the flow. If something changes, if your area gets beefed up and you end up with 120 tickets, just chuck it up and go with the flow. Put in time on Saturday and Sunday and clear your shit out. It's all about going with the flow, with this job, I've noticed.

I'm not one to complain about things. In fact, I rarely queue up my supervisor, unless I have a serious question. I think the last time I queued him up was 2 weeks ago, asking him how to find out what's inside a duct run, (I couldn't get a good signal and I was looking for a cable from a nearby ped I could link on that would light up the duct.) The guy's ****ing phone never stops ringing, I just figure why bother him unless I have serious issues. He's got 2 or 3 guys that call him every time someone cuts them off in traffic, for dumbass reasons; I'm not going to add to his stress.

The fact that you were in the service is a plus, especially if you have some kind of athletic ability. This job caters to those with high stamina. It really ain't shit, until you come across cluster**** jobs like Sherwood & Coursey, a very busy intersection with 3 duct runs and 33 different high profile lines with cable tv and 2 telephone companies, that you have to mark once a week (1000ft in each direction.)

Best advice I can give you, is when you get those cluster**** jobs, FLAG; I'm not talking 1 flag every 20 feet, I'm talking 3 flags per duct run mark. Flag the **** out of everything. It will only make you look good to your superiors, trust me. Flag the ****ing hell out of everything.....Some guy roasted a 100pr on Sherwood and Coursey last week and I had a flag right where that line was, but my marks had faded....Flag the **** outta your high profile shit and take pictures....Contractors might give you shit about it, when they do, just look em in the eye and say 'I gotta cover my ass, it's my job.'

PS- Try to get an RD4000 with 65.5 capability. That is a good machine and the 65.5 is awesome for locating high capacity fibers, and duct runs......all the veteran locators where I am prefer the rd...

PS #2 - If someone asks you what's in a duct run and you are short on time, tell them to call a goddamn AT&T engineer and ask them, because it's not your job to tell them what's in a duct run, or how big it is. Period.

And when you start out doing drops or whatever, bust your ass; that's when everyone is looking at you seeing if you'll make it or not, you're an ex marine so I'm sure you will, but we've had a couple jagoffs who couldn't even hack 8-9 service drops a DAY we had to can after a month....So just try to stay on the hustle when you start, and everything will fall into place.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast