Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is there truely a difference between Private Locating and Public Locating?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: Is there truely a difference between Private Locating and Public Locating?

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Oh, and MKE, sorry for hijacking your thread man.
    Ditto, Mke

Ok, yaherdme. I heardya. I still don't recall anyone saying they could outperform a seasoned SUE guy on day one. Only a fool thinks he knows it all. I can only speak from what I know and I can promise you that I've learned troubleshooting and problem solving from marking the mazes of shoddy public pipes and wires out there that will benefit me in any area I choose to work. It's not all back yards in subdivisions, not even close.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Is there truely a difference between Private Locating and Public Locating?

Ifindit dumb luck on my part my main machine is a rd 8000 and my backup in a i5000 (not my 1st pick) I really was flying by the seat of my pants and it worked. I honestly dont remember which machine I used but I am pretty sure I was on a high freq.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    i didn't say anything about sue being better than 811.You guys said that public locators had more experience than sue locators in troubleshooting and unusual circumstances,thats when i asked you how is that so you only locating 2 to 4 utilities.Sue locators locate way more than that and use a lot more equipment than an rd 8000 and a pipehorn.I didn't say sue was better,not putting 811 down,but the fact is true sue locating is definatly the next level up from public locating. I go out to a location and most of the time i am locating these utilities power,phone,catv,gas,slurry lines,steam lines,raw water lines,storm lines,sewer lines,fire water,sprinklers,chemical lines.So my question is how is a public locator more experienced on troubleshooting than a sue locator?You guys said that public had more experience thats when i started laughing cause you don't know what your talking about,im not mad just saying your wrong.If you wanna be mad then so be it,but if you listen you can actually learn stuff from people who have more experience in locating.
    Friend, once again you are lumping everyone together, this time as "you guys". FWIW, the original statement was originally made by one member( not yours truly), and later retracted/ clarified by that member( again, not yours truly). Do not do anyone the disservice of lumping them into someone else's comments. The statements I make on this board are my own, and I stand by them until someone can enlighten me. That's how it works here. Your bit? I'm afraid that's getting stale.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    but if you listen you can actually learn stuff from people who have more experience in locating.
    And just what is it that you would like to learn about locating? Because you've come to the right place, that's for sure! All kidding aside, your point can apply to anything having to do with learning. Relax, enjoy the experience here. We don't always agree here, but everything we do is for the greater good of everyone.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

First off, no worries about hyjacking the thread.... thats what threads are for.

To be honest with you threads like this give me a bit more information along the lines of what I was looking for.

mke

Years of Experience

I think we can all agree, no matter what side of the fence you are on, that if you are still doing this after years of struggle and hardship you may be qualified to attempt the other side. If you haven't driven your truck into a canal, pulled your hair out, lit your equipment on fire, or curled up into the fetal position on a job, you just may have what it takes to continue.
    As I said before, I am not the baddest of the bad, but I do know quite a bit about what I do. There is always room to learn, and what I have learned before helps me eliminate steps to achieve that final goal. I don't care what side you are on, there is always going to be a problem that you have never come across. You find yourself in that noob state again, wondering what you can do to solve this problem.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    If you haven't driven your truck into a canal, pulled your hair out, lit your equipment on fire, or curled up into the fetal position on a job, you just may have what it takes to continue.
    A few years back, there was a very extensive fibre install project in a large Illinois city. Everyone was having a tough time, the contractor was better than most, but they had nearly ONE HUNDRED workers and over a dozen bore rigs working simultaneously. I was doing some work on a state highway late one morning, when something caught my eye down a side street. A contract locator was in the middle of the road, blocking traffic mind you, and SMASHING THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF WHAT LOOKED TO BE A RD TRANSMITTER all over the center of the road!! When he finished, he calmly walked the pieces back to his truck, started it, and drove off like nothing was out of the ordinary.

Strangely enough, this is not the first time I've seen a guy lose it in the field and break something besides himself.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So... Along those lines. When I was with a private locating company, I had a co-worker who was taking care of a contractor that was part of the Fios rebuild around Portland. This co-worker had no experience locating when he started. I advised my boss that cable rebuilds will kill a seasoned locator and do who knows what to a noob. He still sent him out there.

About 6mo into it, the new guy pulled a "office space" move. He just decided to not show up to work. He wouldn't answer his phone, so the boss drove to his house when he freed up. it was about 11:00 in the morning and he was sitting on a tree stump in his front yard wearing a robe and drinking a cup a coffee. Boss asked him if everything was ok, and he replied "never better".

Then came the preverbial "so, are coming to work today?" which he replied, "I don't think so".

Followed my the question, " what about tomorrow?" Which he replied with the same.

He didn't light his equipment on fire, but I think that was because we took his truck before he fully woke up.

At least he didn't cry like the others.

Mke

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    So... Along those lines. When I was with a private locating company, I had a co-worker who was taking care of a contractor that was part of the Fios rebuild around Portland. This co-worker had no experience locating when he started. I advised my boss that cable rebuilds will kill a seasoned locator and do who knows what to a noob. He still sent him out there.

About 6mo into it, the new guy pulled a "office space" move. He just decided to not show up to work. He wouldn't answer his phone, so the boss drove to his house when he freed up. it was about 11:00 in the morning and he was sitting on a tree stump in his front yard wearing a robe and drinking a cup a coffee. Boss asked him if everything was ok, and he replied "never better".

Then came the preverbial "so, are coming to work today?" which he replied, "I don't think so".

Followed my the question, " what about tomorrow?" Which he replied with the same.

He didn't light his equipment on fire, but I think that was because we took his truck before he fully woke up.

Mke
    Sad, but hilarious MKE
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Not to hijack, but:

Has anyone tried using an RD8000 in or around VFDs? My 4000 would always flash "OL" anywhere near substations. The RD 8000 has something they call "Dynamic Overload Protection", I've been able to locate a feed line inside a substation for our power contract.

Their website is pretty convincing: "Dynamic Overload Protection extends the RD8000 operation into areas where other
    products fail. In electrically noisy environments, particularly in areas where very large
    signals are present, it automatically filters out unwanted signals allowing the operator to
    work effectively in areas such as power substations and overhead railway HV cables."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    Not to hijack, but:

Has anyone tried using an RD8000 in or around VFDs? Yes.

Their website is pretty convincing: "Dynamic Overload Protection extends the RD8000 operation into areas where other
    products fail. In electrically noisy environments, particularly in areas where very large
    signals are present, it automatically filters out unwanted signals allowing the operator to
    work effectively in areas such as power substations and overhead railway HV cables."
    8000 w/ 10 watt transmitter on the higher frequencies works quite well in that application. Goes without saying that you really need to be a first class locator to even attempt this, but it gets results.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post

Mke
    Oh, that's a much better story, thanks!

Years of Experience

Great stories, sounds like some people couldn't hack it.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoythefall View Post
    Not to hijack, but:

Has anyone tried using an RD8000 in or around VFDs? My 4000 would always flash "OL" anywhere near substations. The RD 8000 has something they call "Dynamic Overload Protection", I've been able to locate a feed line inside a substation for our power contract.

VFD's are not the same as working inside a substation. I have used many a metrotech with no interference at all.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    VFD's are not the same as working inside a substation. I have used many a metrotech with no interference at all.
    I second that, and will include that the 810 works well around hydro-electric dams and their corresponding substations. The Generator rooms are hella loud, but the 810 works like it would in any heavily reinforced concrete floored room. you just can't hear it.

mke

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234