Thread: Temp over Full Time

Years of Experience

Default Temp over Full Time

A question has come up to me from a co-worker:
    Can an employer legally work a temporary employee while keeping their full time employee at home for weeks w/o pay?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Temp over Full Time

Quote Originally Posted by BD2U View Post
    A question has come up to me from a co-worker:
    Can an employer legally work a temporary employee while keeping their full time employee at home for weeks w/o pay?
    The full time worker may be able to file for unemployment as a laid off employee. I believe unless you have an employment contract, union, they can do this.

Years of Experience

Yea it's legal in my state anyway. USIC always works the temp/part timers over the full time guys.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

For most firms the temp workers are not paid benefits so they cost the company less.

Apply for unemployment benefits as a worker on temp lay off due to work load.

Years of Experience

Yeah it's ok for them to do. You can get unemployment for being on lay off though. Also some states allow you to work another part time job to supplement your benefits, so can get 2 checks. I had to file for unemployment once and it was a travesty how small that check was.

The problem becomes when temp workers stay for a long time and essentially become permanent fixture. Then the company is just skirting paying benefits. Google got into some hot water and had to change a bunch of temps over to real employees because they were there for like 3 years.
    I worked temp/contract in an office environment for T-Mobile for a while. The offices always kept us at arms length. Couldn't use their laptops or cubicles or resources. So we could never really "integrate" into the office and claim to be an employee.

Years of Experience

that's business here in this state as well . but for the companies that are doing that , they will get what's coming to them . in the end , it 's not smart at all. ignorant people can only see their hand in front of their face , they can't see any long term at all ?!?!?!?!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato