Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Wag
  • 1 Post By second notice

Thread: Telecom pedestal lighting up hydro

Years of Experience

Default Telecom pedestal lighting up hydro

So... I often direct connect to a bolt or visible conduit on a phone pedestal of the telecom company I locate for.

I often find I light up hydro (electrical lines) simultaneously in doing so. Often it is fine cause our company lines are seldom below 4 feet, versus Hydro being deeped, and I can distinguish by depth or tracing to Telecom manholes or pole drops.

However, sometimes the distinction is tough to make and I can't afford to confuse the two. Stands to reason that if pedestal has power running to it for cooling fans and is also grounded. Our guys just get used to it and work with it for what it is.

Any input on how to deal with this or how to better isolate lines on a pedestal hook up?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: Telecom pedestal lighting up hydro

Quote Originally Posted by RanVan View Post
    So... I often direct connect to a bolt or visible conduit on a phone pedestal of the telecom company I locate for.

I often find I light up hydro (electrical lines) simultaneously in doing so.
    Any input on how to deal with this or how to better isolate lines on a pedestal hook up?
    You HAVE to isolate that ped. Pull the grounds and run each line out individually. If you've done that before, you can disco the main ground and light the whole ped up but your signal will run to the next ped or structure and find the electric ground there. You still have to use strength and depth readings if you do that.

Wag
    Years of Experience

Um, I don't want to be rude here, but... Hooking to a grounded ped will just send a signal to anything and everything that's grounded. That would be telco, electric, water, catv, etc.... I'm assuming there was some training provided at the locating company you're with, and that training should have clearly laid out the isolation technique of unbonding a cable at one end, hooking to it, and sending a signal down it and it alone. Hooking to a grounded phone ped nut without unbonding anything in it is a very sketchy shortcutting technique that should only be used by veteran locators, and those that have actually located out of that ped before. (Prints may show 3 cables, but it may have 5 in there and you don't know unless you open it up and unbond every one of 'em)
    daman1 and Cheddar like this.

Years of Experience

this is a joke right???
    Mke likes this.

Years of Experience

normally.... you can not isolate everything when dealing with power so when the two (phone and power) are together running parallel to each other like in back yards for instance.... you need to locate power first . then locate your phone last because as Daman (and the others said ) , you can isolate telephone at every ped . NO WAY to make a mistake doing in this way. hope this has been helpful .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato