Thread: Tampa Bay Area questions...

Years of Experience

Default Tampa Bay Area questions...

Hey guys.

Longtime lurker here. For personal reasons I am considering relocating from the Midwest to the Tampa area. Anyone here live or work in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee, or Sarasota Counties? I saw a really old job posting from USIC for St Petersburg so I assume they have their claws in everything down there too, but are there any other companies that anyone knows of that work the area? I cannot afford to take any sort of yearly pay cut so if the hours arent available there, or a private company isnt paying more, i cant even consider it. I have 3 years in with USIC working a shitty 4way area with duct and fiber and transmission mains on damn near every block, so i dont think theres anything i cant handle as far as locating goes, but every area has pros and cons, so im all ears. Thanks guys!

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Tampa Bay Area questions...

USIC is the main player. Stake Center Locating, Find It First Locating are the other 2 players. If you currently work for USIC the see about a transfer. USIC is VERY short handed.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    USIC is the main player. Stake Center Locating, Find It First Locating are the other 2 players. If you currently work for USIC the see about a transfer. USIC is VERY short handed.
    Who is marking Teco gas in that area?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

In the SUE area there are a number of firms but only a few that have a lot of business. The ones that do are certified by the State Department of Transportation to work on their projects. One of the largest in that area is TBE. Civil / Environmental Engineering, Subsurface Utility Engineering

Transferring within USIC will get you situated in the area and you are likely to keep your 'seniority' as far as vacation time and such.

Employment prospects in Florida were the last time I looked a few years ago were little to none, so if you can do a transfer that is the way. Generally speaking no manager will support transferring an employee they do not want to lose. So most times it is best to make contact with the office you wish to transfer too, once you have that support you are most likely to get a transfer.

One thing about Florida to consider is no state income tax so estimate what your pay down there will be with that deduction missing.

For the cost of housing check out kw.com which is Keller Williams Real Estate. That website will get you into the Multiple Listing Service for many areas of the US, the Tampa area is available there.

Also check out housing on the local craig's list down there craigslist.org Shows many apartment complexes as well as people renting houses, condos, apartment conversions in homes and housing to share.

Years of Experience

Appreciate the help guys. I kinda half ass looked around online at condos in the area and it looks like my dollar may stretch a little farther down there than it will up this way. I just don't want to get down there and find out im making a lot less or that I can't afford to live in a decent area. Or even worse, without a job. I've seen a couple of "superstar" type guys that have transferred within USIC and were gone in a year.

That area isn't union that anyone is aware of, is it? I noticed that Florida had a few union locators when the IBEW was sending out their literature.

Years of Experience
    30+

TECO-Peoples Gas locates in-huose. When I worked for USIC up to May 2009 and they had a VERY weak union. I do not know if they have one now.

Joe Groklose is the DM down here now. His Cell number is: 813-486-6293

Years of Experience

I transferred from midwest to Tampa 2 yrs. ago with CUS, after 4 months of crappy pay under Pat Thompson's piece-rate system, I jumped ship to USIC... was happy until the acquisition of CUS and Pat Thompson and I left... I am a happy in-house locator now for a local utility... The Field Supervisor for Hillsborough is a very good and knowledgable guy and is not bad to work for at all... they locate VZ (copper and FioS) Brighthouse cable, TW cable, and TECO Electric...

With their recent turnover in Hillsborough, I believe the last of the Union guys are gone...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    I transferred from midwest to Tampa 2 yrs. ago with CUS, after 4 months of crappy pay under Pat Thompson's piece-rate system, I jumped ship to USIC... was happy until the acquisition of CUS and Pat Thompson and I left... I am a happy in-house locator now for a local utility... The Field Supervisor for Hillsborough is a very good and knowledgable guy and is not bad to work for at all... they locate VZ (copper and FioS) Brighthouse cable, TW cable, and TECO Electric...

With their recent turnover in Hillsborough, I believe the last of the Union guys are gone...
    There is a real good private locating company in that area , i think , check out Ground Hound Detection Services . I worked for Jeff Poppe for years at a locating company and he struck out on his own and did right by me . Good man and good company with good pay when I was there . Cant hurt to check it out and good luck .

Years of Experience

I heard Clearwater Gas was just put out for bid. Did USIC get that one too?