Thread: tablets

Years of Experience

Default tablets

tablets suck, especially the cheap ones idk what these companies are thinking... its costing them production by not using the correct equiptment.
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: tablets

The people that usually choose such equipment are not the people that use it. Most computer equipment is chosen by computer geeks working in an office, not in the field where the equipment will be uses.

They base their evaluations on what they know, their own office, not the cabs of trucks

For one example regular laptops were chosen over rugged class, or semi-rugged class. laptops. The reason they gave was although the regular laptops had a high failure rate for our type of use they thought they could repair them cheaply enough to make them a better purchase than more expensive equipment that would not break down.

I am not privy to the report that recommended this but I am willing to bet the computer geek failed to consider the cost of the down time, that he only considered the cost of him to repair the laptop.

Consider that when one of these fails it takes about an hour to figure out it needs to be replaced and get the locator back to the office. Then turn in the failed laptop and get issued a new one. While still in the office test the replacement laptop as they often are not really ready to go, often needs some more configuration. Then drive back to their area and start work again, at least two hours. That work not done in those two hours still needs be done and you now have two hours of overtime. So a failed laptop costs five man hours plus to actual repair costs. The man hour costs can be higher, for our area this is about average.

Years of Experience
    30+

PL you are correct unless your office is in another state like mine. It took them 5 days to get me mine. Talk about being behind. Damn it took me days and then a week to get all my info back.

Years of Experience

tablets are costing production and many other problems around here
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area