Years of Experience

Default AT&T Technician Murdered For His Wallet

AT&T Technician Murdered For His Wallet

-----------------------------------------------------

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: AT&T Technician Murdered For His Wallet

This is a crying shame, hope Mr. Middlemas gets a very lengthy sentence.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    17 years

Very scary stuff. Good looking out on AT&T's part but now there's some ex-con snitch scoring $100G for turning the guy in. They'd probably have never caught the guy had it not been for the reward but it still chaps my ass to see the killers buddy walking off with that kind of cash. They'll probably find him O.D.ed in a gutter in a few weeks.

Years of Experience
    too many

Scarey thing Its a shame we have to keep our eyes behind us when we work. Now it brings up the question why shouldn't we arm ourselfs

Years of Experience

58-year-old Kevin Mashburn, the AT&T technician who was murdered, was working in the special circuits section of AT&T on the 11 PM to 7 AM shift. This incident happened in an aerial neighborhood in a northeastern section of Kansas City. The crossbox is located in a dark, wooded area not close to any buildings. Kevin was working inside of an AT&T crossbox by himself at 3 AM; something Kevin has done for many years without incident. The murderer spotted an easy mark and sneaked in for the ambush wielding a crowbar. Mashburn didn't give up his wallet willingly and paid the ultimate price.

If Mashburn is no different than other AT&T techs, the motor was probably running on his service truck while he was changing/checking circuits in the crossbox at 3 AM. I doubt Mashburn even knew that creep was close until it was too late.

Let this be a lesson for any locator working in the dark by one's self: Be aware of your surroundings and give up your wallet if you are not packin' a pistol.

---------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

let the other guy get the CHAIR !!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

there was a att tech that was robbed at gun point last year in my area, so now they dont have to respond to areas that they do not feel safe.

Years of Experience

Default AT&T Technician Murdered For His Wallet

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    Let [Bryan J. Middlemas] get the CHAIR !!!!!

Bryan J. Middlemas was acquitted Friday in the September 2012 death of AT&T technician Kevin M. Mashburn, who was working in Gladstone when he was attacked.

BY GLENN E. RICE
    grice@kcstar.com

A 39-year-old man accused in the beating death of an AT&T technician was found not guilty Friday in the September 2012 attack.

Bryan J. Middlemas of Kansas City was charged in Clay County Circuit Court with first-degree murder, attempted robbery and armed criminal action in the death of Kevin M. Mashburn.

Jurors from Taney County heard the criminal trial held this week in Clay County. They deliberated for more than six hours, and the verdicts were returned just after midnight Friday morning.

Kevin M. Mashburn

Mashburn, 58, was attacked from behind and clubbed in the head with a crowbar while he was making tower repairs in a Gladstone neighborhood.

In text messages to his dispatcher after he was hit, Mashburn said, “I need you to call me an ambulance ... I have been attacked,” Clay County authorities said.

While police and paramedics rushed to the scene, the dispatcher texted, “You hurt bad?”

Mashburn wrote, “Yes ... head split open.”

Paramedics found Mashburn unconscious inside his truck in the 2700 block of Northeast 57th Terrace in Gladstone.

He was rushed to the hospital, where he died.

Prosecutors also said a former cellmate of Middlemas contacted police and told them that Middlemas had confessed to attacking Mashburn.

Middlemas allegedly told the cellmate he attacked Mashburn with the crowbar when the technician refused to give up his wallet, then fled and dumped the crowbar in a nearby pond.

Phone records showed that Middlemas had called his former cellmate, and records also showed that Middlemas had been near the crime scene, according to court records.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

sad sad ......what is our world coming to ???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I read that the victim in this case did not give his wallet willingly to the criminal. I wonder what would have happened if the victim had just given up whatever the criminal wanted easily and quickly. Maybe there is a chance it could have saved his life. I would have swallowed my pride and given that drug addict whatever he wanted just to end the encounter as fast as possible. Such a crying shame though, the criminal in this case was obviously guilty but he got aquited due to lack of evidence? That reminds me of O.J. Simpson and Casey Marie Anthony.