Thread: AT&T Layoffs

Default AT&T Layoffs

Heard today that AT&T is laying off 12,000 employees. A few years back they took some of their locating back in-house. Wonder if they will do that again?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Default Re: AT&T Layoffs

The other day I was out in a new part of my area doing a locate for the local gas utility.

Got there at 08:00 am did a drive around and started locating. Noticed 4 Gas utility trucks all parked in the locate area with a total of 8 men. They sat there the entire eight hours I was there and did almost jack squat.

When I asked my contact what was up he said things were slow for them and so they were taking the "contracting out" of excavation services back from various contractors so they did not have to lay any of their people off.

These guys (I am guessing) probably average about $25 - 30 hour, plus bennies, pension, etc. Sweet gig if you can get it I guess.

I have worked very hard on my relations with each contractor and have established a very good working relationship with most. I feel sorry for the contractors who I have worked with for over 3 years. They are having to let long term, hard working, good people go, to keep these lazy asses employed. WTF???

But, I guess the reality is that he who has the gold rules the roost.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Heard today that AT&T is laying off 12,000 employees. A few years back they took some of their locating back in-house. Wonder if they will do that again?
    I'm pretty sure that they can't. If they do, there is one hell of a buyout.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

the 12000 will probably be cut out of pushing paper and pencil jobs....don't you think???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    the 12000 will probably be cut out of pushing paper and pencil jobs....don't you think???
    I dont think so- Hell thats the core of the biggest drain of our nation(federal government)...

What do you think most of them do all day??? And there jobs are never at risk regardless of production!!!

Talk about a union controlling management...
    Last edited by USIC1; December 4th, 2008 at 10:49 PM.

When SM&P lossed the SBC (ATT) contact a couple years ago it was because union pressure. After paying out to much money do to damages and wages SBC (ATT) ask SM&P to locate for them again. When it comes to damages its a win, win situation for ATT we pay or the contractor pays. After talking to some of the SBC locators found out that they employed five techs to cover a area that we now cover with two plus located our utilities. And about them layoff 12,000 employees I feel bad for them but it was needed. For example, today I went to a ATT damage they had three trucks, two techs per truck to repair a 75pr cable. The kicker was they haved to call another contractor in to dig a three foot hole with a backhoe so they have room to work in. I'm assuming their union contract has a clause that states they can not use a shovel. It would cost ATT to much money to take locating back in house.

Years of Experience
    retired

...probably outsourcing their helpdesk support to India~? I know they let a bunch of techs in the field go, but without anyone to repair the stuff wouldn't they be out of business to begin with? So it makes more sense that they'd let folks behind the scenes go first IMHO.
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

The REAL reason we lost the contract about 4yrs ago is because the union told ATT (sbc at the time) that they couldnt lay off people when they were contracting out business and that this was in the union contracto with SBC. So needless to say they took the locates back in house and said SBC employees that then were making $20+hr were bumped back down to $12-$15hr. This I know because I know a lot of the first lines and a lot of their techs personally and that came straight from them.

So they also let about 30% of their office go here in Kansas about 4months ago (call center) so im sure you are correct about outsourcing that shit to India or something. God knows thats all you get when you call, you cant understand a damn thing half of them are saying LOL!
    C.Y.A. like everyone is out to screw you and ya will be fine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

Speaking of layoffs, how many UAW workers will get their pink slips in the coming months? Which is kind of odd for a dem controlled congress. Pro union and everything?
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I looked into it, seeing that my father recently retired after 35+ years of service as supervisor of utility operations in the baton rouge area. Apparently the layoffs are primarily on the landline side of AT&T...You know the old adage, 'first hired, first fired' ...I'm sure they used that along with whoever had the lowest production numbers, and gave them the boot...

That's 4.2% of AT&T's workforce, don't they have around 355,000 employees...

It's good to be a locator. I know for damn sure my job isn't in any kind of jeapordy like that.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde