Thread: Survey Monkey

Years of Experience

Default Survey Monkey

My higher ups have tasked me with The task of gathering some information from other Utility Line Locators. With different answers coming from both sides of the locate world (inhouse locating, and third party) I have decided to try the Survey Monkey. Having never used this before I not sure just how would be the best way to get it out there. I'm looking to try and shotgun it out there to as many people as possible but I don't have the knowledge of just how I would go about getting it out there. In a nutshell what does everyone think that my response would be and how would be the best way to go about getting this out t everyone. I need some help with this monkey business!!!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Survey Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Man View Post
    My higher ups have tasked me with The task of gathering some information from other Utility Line Locators. With different answers coming from both sides of the locate world (inhouse locating, and third party) I have decided to try the Survey Monkey. Having never used this before I not sure just how would be the best way to get it out there. I'm looking to try and shotgun it out there to as many people as possible but I don't have the knowledge of just how I would go about getting it out there. In a nutshell what does everyone think that my response would be and how would be the best way to go about getting this out t everyone. I need some help with this monkey business!!!
    Ok Boss.... I'm still not sure what you are trying to figure out. (it might be due to me being called in at 3am for an emergency water line job)

What has your boss asked you to find out?

mke

Years of Experience

I am confused too ?? survey monkey ?? never heard of it !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Make a link and post it here, monkey boy.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

You can create a survey through this board. Just create a post like you did, and then further down where it says "Post a Poll" just check the box and go from there.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Sorry I was vague in the begining, Being a municipality and owning all of the utilities, we locate all of our own utilities. We have 7 different utilities and are unique in the fact that we send out one of our locators (8 total) and locate all 7 different utilities. Trying to have the concept that if a contractor needs to question a locate of ours they can call one locator instead of 7 different people. Our locators go thru extended training not only how to locate but contruction aspects as well. With the electric they are able to open transformers and switches safely and clamp on to, and isoluate lines. Upper management is wanting to find out just what the extent other companies locate and how far they locate. i.e. commerical services, private electric lines and where ownership ends. If ownership ends at the transformer for example, should we locate it all the way to the building? And if we don't who is to locate it? Do you ask the store owner or tennet to locate their own lines? Or in trailer parks where services piggy back from trailer to trailer. Also if others would be willing to let us see their procedures manuels to get a better idea of other companies. Basically to make sure that we follow other companies as close as possible. "Survey Monkey" on the other hand is a link that can be mailed out to people and is a painless way to gather information. Everyone knows that if your giving a survey in the form of snail mail, that is is used most of the time to shoot hoops with into the trash. This way the only bit of effort needed is a little mouse control, a click here and there. All answers are tallied and all I have to do on my end to review answers is look at a spread sheet.
    Last edited by Boss Man; May 20th, 2014 at 01:14 PM.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey Boss, Now I get your gist...

We are kind of in your situation as well. We are not necissarily a utility company, but we do own a metric s%$# ton of utilities. We have in the past used contract locators, but currently we use 2 in-house locators (Sole locators, no other task but to locate and ease of understanding utilities).

What most utilities do here are as follows:

Water- Up to meter, nothing further.
    Sewer- Residential areas they mark up to curb, Industrial areas they only mark the service locations at the main.
    Storm-Locate owned pipping only, No raindrains from houses or site specific drainage that ties into their mains.
    Telephone- when located they should locate up to terminals on the house, or to transition of ownership...(first IT hut or room)... Typically they stop at property lines for industrial areas.
    Electrical- Up to meter, nothing more, nothing less..... Except for Trailer parks. They will locate up to the first transformer in a trailer park, then tell people its private after that.

Gas- Up to the Meter

The way we handle the locates is as follows.

Locate requests that have our owned utilities in the dig area..... We locate them and provide as much information as necessary to prevent any damage to the line.

Locate Requests that don't have any of our owned utilities and are off of our properties.... we don't do jack.

Locate requests that are driven by our company that have or don't have any of our owned utilities in the area..... We will double check and mark all utilities that are in the requested area

When it comes down to it, we try to prevent any damage to any utility that will affect our facilities. We do not disreguard any other companies utility marks and we do advise the use of private locators when we don't have the responsibility to do so.

With this, there is a fine line. We have been threatened by companies with PUC fines for marking utilities that are not our own. These utilities we tend to mark in off colors (Pink or white). Most companies now have relinquished those threats a little bit and actually work with us to properly mark their lines.

I think I have a genaric SOP for marking utility owned stuff.

Most of the time it falls onto the excavator to pay for private utility locates in our area. I tend to verify that proceedure and recomend companies when needed.

Does this help?

mke

Years of Experience

well....if it don't help him ...I feel a lot better ...heehee !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Here is how it goes in my area Water to the curb stop, sewer main line only, power commercial to the transformer residential to the meter, gas to the meter, Telco/cable to the 1st box on the house etc, after these points it is up to the contractor to locate anything else we wont touch anything past these points