Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By markit
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Sunbelt Telecom

Years of Experience
    10yrs +
    Blog Entries

Default Sunbelt Telecom

Hey guys hope all is well, and was wondering has anybody ever worked or has info on sunbelt telecom, they are hiring here in the central Fl area but i'm skeptical about applying, any help is greatly appreciated, thx

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Sunbelt Telecom

I got a call from them today for a job on the east coast of Fl. I am in the Tampa area. They are not bad if you can live off what they pay you per day. You have to use your own vehicle and gas. So run the numbers.

Years of Experience

Cool Re: Sunbelt Telecom

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I got a call from them today for a job on the east coast of Fl. I am in the Tampa area. They are not bad if you can live off what they pay you per day. You have to use your own vehicle and gas. So run the numbers.
    The job is easy and the company seems ok.

I quit because the pay sucks. They hired me to locate fiber only along the FEC railroad tracks corridor in south Florida. This project is for a new highspeed railway system being built from Miami to Jacksonville called the "ALL-Aboard" project.

The pay is a flat $185 a day. There is no overtime. You're on the clock for ten hours daily (That's right! you read correctly...you're expected to be available 10 hours a day for those $185)

you have to have a hard hat, paint stick, vest, steel toes, glasses, etc.... and its not expensable to Sunbelt!

there's no mileage reimbursement, food, lodging, NADA! its all included in the $185 a day for only 5 days of work.

to add humility, everything in South Florida is expensive as hell. this is chump change to live decent down there. You're better off ubering and breaking your car for Uber.

I don't know if they took it personal when I quit in three days, but mysteriously my new employer on the same rail project that pays me $35 an hour to do the fiber relocation/construction inspections, called me today to fire me because somebody mentioned my name and sunbelt, and allegedly it's a conflict of interest.

This is speculation only, I could be wrong, but I strongly believe that someone at sunbelt took it personal because I quit, and tried to sabotage my opportunities to work on the railway project for any other contractor...but guess what? it backfired! cause now I have a better job, with a better contractor that is higher paying and easier job banking $3,000 a week, and this time when they see me back out on the tracks, he can kiss my ass. haters .... and if it wasn't you that called my old boss to get me thrown out, then i'm sorry....but right now I still think it was stupid sunbelt.
    I explained to the higher ups that sunbelt hired me, threw me out on the tracks to locate fiber right away.. without any authorization to work on FEC's rail right of ways or certifications (required to be anywhere near those tracks working) and no background checks or drug testing was done, (which I found odd)
    so how could that be a conflict of interest? and they put me in contact with another individual for my troubles. I start thursday.
    daman1 likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I don't see how it can be a "conflict of interest" when sunbelt is a former employer, not a current employer.

Years of Experience
    10yrs +
    Blog Entries

a coworker of mine got a call today from Sunbelt, they stated there was an opening and that they wanted someone to start on Monday, he told them he needed to give notice its only fair, but they would get back with him, he says the tone changed when he mentioned he could not start on Monday but we will see what happens

Years of Experience

Third person to quit in a month I think. It's not worth it. Even if you lived down there, eventually they will move you north. And further from your residence. None of that driving or miles are reemburst to you.
    You get a flat rate of only $185.
    They are probably pocketing your per diem and miles and giving you the short end of a very long stick. I don't see how anyone hasn't filed a lawsuit or complaint with the dept of labor. The federal law requires all employers to pay you .56 cents a mile for using your car. And for this job you definitely need your car as a tool for work. Also federal labor law requires that employers pay you food per diem and lodging. I'm almost sure that sunbelt telecommunications is pocketing all your dough and breaking you off a little chump change. It might be profitable for them in the short term... But long term business relations are jeopardized. And unhappy employees will talk if you mistreat them in today's online glass door environment. Scaring away possible future contract renewals. So I wouldn't short change the people that are helping me grow. Just my two cents. I'm looking to build a solid business myself and I learn a lot as an employee.

Years of Experience

From his brief description he may have worked as a contractor, not an employee.

Quote Originally Posted by markit View Post
    Third person to quit in a month I think. It's not worth it. Even if you lived down there, eventually they will move you north. And further from your residence. None of that driving or miles are reemburst to you.
    You get a flat rate of only $185.
    They are probably pocketing your per diem and miles and giving you the short end of a very long stick. I don't see how anyone hasn't filed a lawsuit or complaint with the dept of labor. The federal law requires all employers to pay you .56 cents a mile for using your car. And for this job you definitely need your car as a tool for work. Also federal labor law requires that employers pay you food per diem and lodging. I'm almost sure that sunbelt telecommunications is pocketing all your dough and breaking you off a little chump change. It might be profitable for them in the short term... But long term business relations are jeopardized. And unhappy employees will talk if you mistreat them in today's online glass door environment. Scaring away possible future contract renewals. So I wouldn't short change the people that are helping me grow. Just my two cents. I'm looking to build a solid business myself and I learn a lot as an employee.

Years of Experience
    10yrs +
    Blog Entries

You know now on utilityes they have postings for FL TN and IA I also think DC still not convinced since the other guy that works for us has not received a call back

Years of Experience

Their add postings show employment type as 'contractor' so you do not hire on as an employee. They do not have to pay overtime, unemployment insurance, health insurance, minimum wage, per Diem, hotel rooms, matching Social Security contribution, mileage for personal vehicle use. On Social Security you must pay both halves so look at the withholding statement on your pay stub and double it. They will also not hold out your federal and state income taxes, you have to make all those payments quarterly.

The $185 a day for a 10 hour day when considering the cost of operating the vehicle, paying the both half's of Social Security and other expenses $185.00 for a 10 hour day is a really low wage for a locator. Also some of these 'contractor' status locate firms pass the costs of damages onto the locator.

This is a job you only take when you are desperate for some income.
    yahoo and TheCableVine like this.