• 1 Post By yahoo
  • 1 Post By The Big-E
  • 1 Post By UULC
  • 1 Post By daman1

Thread: SUE contractor Paints Bricks.

Years of Experience
    30+

Default SUE contractor Paints Bricks.

I got a call from the city today wanting me to clean some brick sidewalk. Told the mayors lackey it was the SUE Firm THEY hired that has to pressure wash the bricks. The SUE Firm painted in white to verify the locations of the utilities. Our fiber runs in the middle of the street. When the tickets were called in; they put on the ticket to dot the bricks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0001.jpg   dscf0002.jpg   dscf0003.jpg   dscf0004.jpg   dscf0005.jpg  

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: SUE contractor Paints Bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I got a call from the city today wanting me to clean some brick sidewalk. Told the mayors lackey it was the SUE Firm THEY hired that has to pressure wash the bricks. The SUE Firm painted in white to verify the locations of the utilities. Our fiber runs in the middle of the street. When the tickets were called in; they put on the ticket to dot the bricks.

That doesn't look overpainted or sloppy. There really does have to be some sort of standard worked out for these special brick causeways. I've never been called to clean one after a locate but if I do, my boss had better take my back because I'd be ready to get fired over it. I get paid to paint the ground. There are regulations defining how a locate has to be marked. Legal requirements. I did my job. I'm not a power washer.
    yahoo, Wingfoot and union_YES like this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Looking at the pics, Looks like a survey company was keeping track of what they were surveying. It does seem to be over marked. By both the locators and the survey guys. On Brick or beautified concrete we go very light on paint. Nothing longer then 4", if it is not too congested we tend to dot and not even stripe. We have yet to be asked to wash marks off of any surface. Which is surprising, because the last guy I worked with, he was forever spraying a 4' long stripe up retaining walls, fences, buildings or any other feature that had a line running into it. I even watched the guy spray paint up a fence to mark where a comm line crossed and he didn't even think about the car directly on the other side of the fence.

Great pics...

mke

Years of Experience

I hope the day does not come when I 'm told to wash the paint off the bricks ! I agree with Daman .
    daman1 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Buckhorn is sending out the goons squad after you...

Years of Experience
    30+

Big E,
    Buckhorn already confronted me with his TPD security detail when I was using chalk paint in front of city hall. That is how he got my name and phone number.

Years of Experience

Chalk paint is great for that... we should get some of that in blue, green and purple
    UULC likes this.

On nice brick and other more beautified area's I would say its almost common sense to minimize your markings...especially for a design locate. With that being said, I have been asked to pressure-wash my marks off of pavement before on dig jobs. It was a scenario where they were tapping into a water main under the side walk bringing the new domestic feed to the side of an existing building....behind the sidewalk and between the building were additional paved walkways leading further back into the property. Well, in this particular area, the tv, phone, power, fire water, irrigation control wire, and domestic water were all running through the job scope. Most of my markings were on soft dirt (marks will disappear fast) and so I used the sides of the walkways to purposefully identify the location of utilities knowing they would fade fast in the dirt. It was too congested for flags to make sense, but in hind sight I probably should have used chalk. As the saying goes, paint the utilities as you would want another locator painting them on your property if you weren't home.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

About 3 1/2 years ago I was painting a similar site using dots and offsets. A member of the State Corporation Commission was driving by and stopped. Said there was no exemption for nice sidewalks and paving stones and to paint per regulations. Always paint per regulations and refer complaints to their state legislators representatives that passed the regulations.

Years of Experience
    30+

ProLo,

As I found out when I was up there last week, Va has some good laws with some teeth. Florida has real good law but absolutely no teeth regarding the enforcement.
    The Big-E likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Seems to me it should be up the whoever requested the locate to have the marks removed. We are only doing what the regulations require us to do by law.
    UULC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    About 3 1/2 years ago I was painting a similar site using dots and offsets. A member of the State Corporation Commission was driving by and stopped. Said there was no exemption for nice sidewalks and paving stones and to paint per regulations. Always paint per regulations and refer complaints to their state legislators representatives that passed the regulations.
    Thankfully I have never experienced this sort of oversight by our utility commission. I usually default to having good working relationships with contractors and marking to the preference of the property owner and myself and if its a minimal request is enough to make sense in photos. Then your utility commission guy shows up...