Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: STS / UtiliQuest shake up in GA

Default Re: STS / UtiliQuest shake up in GA

I think Randy Puckett has taken over my center.

yea,,,,I know Randy..... Are things that screwed up there?

Im happy. All is good w/ my group.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

OK...to truly fix things... they do need to reduce costs, and drive cam is the first place I would start. when you consider that they pay 1000.00 for each camera, then 500 for installation, then the monthly monitoring fee, the additional upload fees, and forced upload fees... this has got to be costing them a butt load of money. so Pro is right... set the cams back to the factory default and quit wasting time with drivecams. if you want to do something to encourage safe driving..... institute a safe driving bonus program... I had one for my own company and it paid off in two ways.... 1 it reduced accidents and my trucks were better maintained. and 2.... Moral was higher..... the bonus I paid was 200 every 6 months.... and on the note that Pro also made.... pay the locators more money.... if you have a good locator, or one with potential... pay him what he is worth.... he'll stay around longer... that is the single most thing that has got me talking to other companies about coming to work for them. I'm going to go/stay where I am appreciated. and a pat on the back isn't good enough... not when I can't even pay my bills....what sense does it make to be paying someone unskilled labor wages when they are responsible for protecting utilities that are worth in some cases millions of dollars.. next... upgrade the equipment.... buying batteries in this day and time is stupid.... especially when you consider most good equipment such as the vivax and RD8000 have rechargeable battery packs either as an add on or built in.... then the added benefit of the Bluetooth will also speed up a locate on those long distance locates.... get rid of some of those VP's and give the pay to the supervisors who deserve it... that would also encourage more people to strive to become supervisors.... as it is.... I had someone encouraging me to go after a supervisor position, and I decided not to because of the money they offer.... then.... get back to the business of protecting utilities.... granted.... all businesses have to turn a profit.... but I see far too much waste out there.... from training people who don't last 6 months.... and the damages uncured by those inexperienced locators... then be smart about business.... if you have an LP locator locating a 7 mile stretch of road.... any and all tickets that come on that 7 mile stretch need to go to that locator.... he knows the area... knows what's in the ground... knows where to hook up..... and can do it faster than a production locator.... let the production locators stick to locating single address tickets.... then... starting holding the PSC's feet to the fire.... if a ticket comes in and it should be an LP.... then we should kick it back.... do some community outreach to contractors... teach them how to call in tickets for what they need.... and only what they need.... and teach them how to do LP meet agreements.... I haven't been in the locating business as long as some of you guys.... but I was on the other side of the fence as a contractor before I started doing this... and the feeling I get is this has gone from utility protection.... to CYA... sometimes CYA is good.... but there's a lot of times that is is just a waste of time and money.... there are a few examples of where I would start... I'll leave off with this one last note.... upper management needs to understand that what we do is more then just put paint on the ground.... in most cases what we do is a skilled craft... hiring someone off the streets and handing them a copy of the pro 10 steps, and locate equipment doesn't make a good locator..... it takes someone with skill either gained by experience or by having a knack for it to be able to locate some of the lines we as professional locators locate every day...
    Last edited by Danger; June 23rd, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Angry Re: STS / UtiliQuest shake up in GA

Danager......Youve got your head on right,,,,,thats what the upper retards need to hear! Esketch was totel loser....cost a fourtune.... There are hard working people at UQ...there is a lot of Dead weight positions as well upper that could be cut to reduce cost.....Its not hard, just hard to get the boss to understand the business.....

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

well, I could go further on a few of the things I said.... I will say this.... I have talked to production locators and ran them off my jobs... one was ring clamping an un-locatable fiber... when I asked him what he was hooked up to... he had no clue.... when I explained it to him....and what you had to do to locate them... he said to me" uh... i knew they had to have someone on this project who had a lot of experience..." when I asked him how long he had been out of training.... he said a year.... that was when I looked at him and told him I had only been out of training for 3 months..... that has been back a while.... but some of the production locators are as dumb as a box of rocks, and only do enough to get by.... and when you do that..... that is when damages happen....
    I for one take pride in my work, and want to be the best locator I can be...

Years of Experience

Im in maryland and things are going really well . First summer i can remember where we have enough techs to to the joband the field clients are very happy. I've been thru the rough and seen some bad management. Anyone that bashes esketch has never used it, saved my ass a couple of times because contracttors cant lie and say you werent there or didnt mark. i'd shoot myself if I had to go back to paper drawings. Drive cam doesn't spy on you, in fact it doesn't even have the function but they did just make it more sensitive which sucks. that really killed the morale up here. the uppers in ga are only interested in one thing for sure, not really field guys but the local management is who we report to and they are good people. bottom line, these guys are running a business and there has to be policies and not everyone is going to like them but it is what it is. I used to have a business of my own and i got out of it because dealing with multiple employee's is a ridiculas headache. You never know whos not going to show up or quit or piss off a customer. Can't image having 90, 200, 300 or more. i say people should go where youre happy theres all levels of locate companies from ones that offer more job security but probably have strickter rules and focus on profits more and there are companies that lcome in, let you do what you want push you to close tickets and then dissappear. something for everyone. i get pissed of like anyone else but, i find my company treats me as well as i treat them.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locateman2011 View Post
    Im in maryland and things are going really well . First summer i can remember where we have enough techs to to the joband the field clients are very happy. I've been thru the rough and seen some bad management. Anyone that bashes esketch has never used it, saved my ass a couple of times because contracttors cant lie and say you werent there or didnt mark. i'd shoot myself if I had to go back to paper drawings. Drive cam doesn't spy on you, in fact it doesn't even have the function but they did just make it more sensitive which sucks.
    Locateman I have to completely disagree with you on these points. I used E-Sketch and hated the damn thing. It was a waste of time for us. Per our contract we take pictures of all of our locates, and then had to do a damn e-sketch. So when a damage happened, our client could have cared less about the e-sketch. All they wanted to see was the photos we took while we were onsite. Plus when we had to do long projects, I had to do sometimes 6 to 9 sketches for just 1 project. That was in itself a complete waste of time. Now for the drive cams... Yes they can spy on you with those things. We would be driving along and all of a sudden the damn light would start blinking red at a slow pace, and the next day we were called into the office for 1 thing or another. Yes I know smoking in the trucks is bad, but sometimes you just end up doing it anyways. Then we called into the office for smoking in the truck, and they show us the video. You may say that I may have hit a bump while smoking, and the camera went off and I didnt notice it, but it's kinda hard to set it off while your parked on a jobsite and doing those damn sketches. So I will end with this. E-sketch may work for you, but a picture works just as well and you dont have to spend time drawing crap. Drive cams are a waste of money. UQ needs to stop throwing money away and give some it back to their locators. The ones who make that damn company money in the first place.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by BD2U View Post
    <SNIP> Now for the drive cams... Yes they can spy on you with those things. We would be driving along and all of a sudden the damn light would start blinking red at a slow pace, and the next day we were called into the office for 1 thing or another. Yes I know smoking in the trucks is bad, but sometimes you just end up doing it anyways. Then we called into the office for smoking in the truck, and they show us the video. You may say that I may have hit a bump while smoking, and the camera went off and I didnt notice it, but it's kinda hard to set it off while your parked on a jobsite and doing those damn sketches. <SNIP>

A good point, drivecam goes off while the truck is parked.

The early drivecams stored the video and audio internally and had to be uploaded to the hard drive of a laptop. The new ones use wireless links to upload the video and audio.
    For the drivecame to upload it must contact the remote receiving server via the wireless link. The remote site must send a command to the drivecam for the images and audio to now be uploaded.

It is all software, once you have the wireless link it is a small step to sending a command that will remotely turn on the camera and microphone.
    Face up to the truth, you have a spy camera in your truck.

I am all about conspiracy theory and all, however all you have to do is go to the drive cam web site and see that this is not possible with their units. I canít find anywhere that says utiliquest owns drivecam or if their software can be manipulated to be a ďSpy CameraĒ www.drivecam.com
    Maybe utiliquest is responsible for global warming? (Starting my own conspiracy here)
    I like having a drivecam in my truck, keeps me honest and will protect me when some ass hits me.
    I have noticed my drivecam going off a lot more lately since the increased sensitivity, but I can say I donít ever remember a time when the drive cam went off when I was stopped? Always when I make a turn or hit a bump, (Most of the time when I am following too close!!!!!!!!!!!) My badÖ. )
    I also personally like e-sketch. Back when we had paper I would lose the dam manifest all the time. Having esketch (As long as the dam air card works) saves me a lot of frustration.
    I would like to see more money in my pocket though, however I am happy to be working.
    We can all sit back and bitch about our companies, but at the end of the day they all have flaws or things they donít do what we think to be the right way. If every company out there did things exactly the way we wanted things to go, none of them would make money. I used to be in management in my former work life (Not at utiliquest) and it is very hard to make everyone happy and still stay in business.

Years of Experience

Ya I have to say I don't liek the sensitivity of the cams but ive never seen or heard of one going off for no reason. Its a pain to have to review them with my supervisor but no one has ever "spyed" on me. it did go off once when I bumped a curb and got spoken to about using my phone which i didnt like but it is a policy and a state law so i really can only blame myself even though i use them in my personal car all the time. i do know that the cams have cut accidents by 50% and has save several of our techs in my office from being charged with an accident because the cam showed it wasn't their fault. i do project work and regular locates and esketch is so much easier than the way it used to be. you are right some clients dont care but many do. we take pictures to but not really sure why anymore. I can only speak for my area...if the company could fix the health ins costs i'd have no complaints right now other than its hot outside.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locateman2011 View Post
    I can only speak for my area...if the company could fix the health ins costs i'd have no complaints right now other than its hot outside.
    Man when I worked for UQ, I thought this very same thing! Damn Health insurance is expensive. Now just so everyone knows, I have my own personal beef with UQ. The company as a whole is pretty good. There are things that I have mentioned that really piss me off about the company. Most of all though, the reason I hate them, is the crappy way they did buisness. Not to mention the crappy management. The guys we had in charge would rather piss on ya, than to try and help make things better for ya. We had some in the past that were good, but within the past 5 years the management we had before they left TX, took a crap on everyone including our client. Makes working for Heath even more enjoyable.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

well to be completely honest... if I could find someone else that was hiring that offered half way decent health care and 15 per hour.... I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a candy bar... I am a positive person... and like the job I am doing... but all the negativity around me day in and day out is draining me...

Years of Experience

Ya i have a buddy that work in nc and he said sr manager was horrible, said it got better when they moved him to tx. not surprising tx didn't work out. Everyone bitches about the health ins. good plan but the cost is so much higher than any other company. would like to see different options to choise from. we had worhtless management in md but the guy that runs it has brought in good managers and has cleaned house. not sure about the higher ups in ga, jamel was a good guy think hes a consultant now.

What part of GA are you in?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast