Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: sts,utiliquest lawsuit

Default sts,utiliquest lawsuit

Anybody know anything about a lawsuit against dycom?

Years of Experience

They are still working on getting it completed.

I guess it has been settled ,you should be getting a letter as to how much you are owed then what is taxable and what the attorney's fees are going to be(way too much),then a total projection of what you may get back ,I think that Dycom should have to foot the attorney's fees ,if not for thier actions there would be no lawsuit

Another lawsuit against them?

Quick question on this law suit. How many of you chose to route yourselves at home off the clock while watching tv just to make your life easier? I know I have worked off the clock a million times just for that reason. Also how many times have you really drug your feet all day and stopped and talked to every contractor at almost every site way longer than you should have about nothing pertaining to work. Oh and do not forget all the times you went home early and charged overtime. Just something I have been thinking about!!

Quote Originally Posted by TechMaster View Post
    Quick question on this law suit. How many of you chose to route yourselves at home off the clock while watching tv just to make your life easier? I know I have worked off the clock a million times just for that reason. Also how many times have you really drug your feet all day and stopped and talked to every contractor at almost every site way longer than you should have about nothing pertaining to work. Oh and do not forget all the times you went home early and charged overtime. Just something I have been thinking about!!
    Well i have been locating for 15 years and have done none of these things.Is it that hard to follow simple rules?

What rules are you talking about? The ones they have now or back in the day when it was always balls to the wall, and locating was just locating? The goal was to protect the plant and the client. Working off te clock was your choice and you would not get punished for doing extra just to help yourself out. Just my thoughts on all this nonsens.

So when you were told to route and trade tickets for your whole crew or for 10 locators in from out of town to help out your crew, you just did it out of the goodness of your heart. Even though it took a couple extra hours that you missed with your family. If I am away from my family doing work stuff, I GET PAID! PERIOD!!!
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMap View Post
    So when you were told to route and trade tickets for your whole crew or for 10 locators in from out of town to help out your crew, you just did it out of the goodness of your heart. Even though it took a couple extra hours that you missed with your family. If I am away from my family doing work stuff, I GET PAID! PERIOD!!!
    Amen, brotha! I'm not a salaried employee, so if I'm doing anything work related I'm gonna get paid, one way or the other.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

This entire lawsuit is a result of a disgruntled employee who found a way (and a smart attorney) to screw the company. I have been here 16 years, and the company has been pretty dang easy to work for. As long as you do your job correctly, you are pretty much your own boss. Not many jobs out there provide the freedom that this one does. I hope everyone that plans on taking the money is actually owed the money. I'll bet if you've been doing this for any amount of time, and you tally up all the time you've charged when you actually were done 15, 30, or 45 minutes before your timesheet states, it would far exceed any time the company owes YOU!! IF YOU AREN'T OWED THE MONEY, DON'T ACCEPT IT! It doesn't say much for the integrity of a man who accepts something that he doesn't deserve. Also, if you think for a second you won't have an * by your name, then your just not being realistic. Yeah, the letter SAYS there will be no recourse if you accept, but anyone with half a brain knows that the company COULD make your life miserable to the point of wanting to quit, if they so choose to. Bottom Line... DO THE RIGHT THING FOLKS!!!
    Last edited by Ainsquest; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsquest View Post
    This entire lawsuit is a result of a disgruntled employee who found a way (and a smart attorney) to screw the company. I have been here 16 years, and the company has been pretty dang easy to work for. As long as you do your job correctly, you are pretty much your own boss. Not many jobs out there provide the freedom that this one does. I hope everyone that plans on taking the money is actually owed the money. I'll bet if you've been doing this for any amount of time, and you tally up all the time you've charged when you actually were done 15, 30, or 45 minutes before your timesheet states, it would far exceed any time the company owes YOU!! IF YOU AREN'T OWED THE MONEY, DON'T ACCEPT IT! It doesn't say much for the integrity of a man who accepts something that he doesn't deserve. Also, if you think for a second you won't have an * by your name, then your just not being realistic. Yeah, the letter SAYS there will be no recourse if you accept, but anyone with half a brain knows that the company COULD make your life miserable to the point of wanting to quit, if they so choose to. Bottom Line... DO THE RIGHT THING FOLKS!!!
    Well i remember when i started out at 7.00 an hour and received no overtime pay only straight pay with the promise that if i work less then 40 (wintertime)that i would get a 40hr paycheck.Sounds good till most your office quits and its cheaper to pay me no overtime and let me work 60 hours a week for 2 years till you hire someone new.Yes i received a check when they got sued (no i did not sue)and you know what i cashed it.There are many things locate companies do that are illegal.They keep doing them till they get sued.Simple as that.Another good one is companies not using a fixed start and stop point and not paying you to drive home.In most states this is illegal.So if you get a call that is 2 hours away from your house guess what, you get to eat the drive home because the call came in before 5 pm so its not "after hours".The list goes on and on.Dont get me wrong i love my job, but i will not hesitate to cash a check for money that is legally owed me."DO THE RIGHT THING FOLKS" has to be both ways.

What rules are you talking about? The ones they have now or back in the day when it was always balls to the wall, and locating was just locating? The goal was to protect the plant and the client. Working off te clock was your choice and you would not get punished for doing extra just to help yourself out. Just my thoughts on all this nonsens.
    What i meant by rules is whatever your company has set forth as company policy for all employees even if you dont agree with them.If they say do not work off the clock(which they all will for legal reasons) then you dont.If they say start at 7am not 6:45 because they dont want to pay you overtime,then start at 7.This also means not dragging your feet intentionally and having long contractor interactions.Hell we all have bad days.I have actually done a few of the thing you listed during my first couple years but i quickly found out its not worth it over the long haul.....Dont live the job youll burn out fast.
    This is the best job ive ever had.No boss over shoulder,every job is different,pays is alot better nowadays.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Heres how I see it. I look at it in the simplest of terms. The company hires a person and says they will give that person X amount of dollars in exchange for an hour of their time. They agree to that offer. They are now under a contractual obligation to do that work with the understanding They will receive money in exchange for that time/work. The company is under an obligation to give you that money. The company expects me to be honorable, I expect them to be honorable as well.

When a person works off the clock under threat of firing or whatever, the company is stealing money from them. When a person is not working and charges the company money for time not worked. They are also stealing from the company.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Heres how I see it. I look at it in the simplest of terms. The company hires a person and says they will give that person X amount of dollars in exchange for an hour of their time. They agree to that offer. They are now under a contractual obligation to do that work with the understanding They will receive money in exchange for that time/work. The company is under an obligation to give you that money. The company expects me to be honorable, I expect them to be honorable as well.

When a person works off the clock under threat of firing or whatever, the company is stealing money from them. When a person is not working and charges the company money for time not worked. They are also stealing from the company.
    Nicely put...

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post

Well put Steve. I know of no one who participated in the SM&P lawsuit that refused the $$. In fact the ones who were scared off by retaliation rumors really regret their choice. When someone threatens me I hit back. I will not go thru life being intimidated by some 'suit' in an office in another state. I verbally warned my Supervisor and DM that what they were requiring us to do was illegal. It was not my fault that the higher-ups ignored that advice in order to save a few dimes!
    I don't know the facts of the Dycom lawsuit but I will guarantee you that some co. schill is putting out the rumor of retaliation. Remember 1 thing, if you could claim retaliation, you could get 5 to 10 times as much as the class action would bring! $$$$
    Good luck!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast