Thread: STS inc. Pays

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default STS inc. Pays

The Weekly Online

PSC Approves Consent Agreements Calling for Payments of $30,000 Stemming from Cobb County Natural Gas Pipeline Leak in April 2008

ATLANTA, (June 4, 2008) Ė Atlanta Gas Light Company (AGLC) and Utility locator company STS, Inc. have paid a total of $30,000 to resolve issues stemming from the April 8, 2008 natural gas leak in Marietta, Georgia. The Georgia Public Service Commission (Commission) today approved the two consent agreements, one between the Commission and STS, Inc. and one between the Commission and Atlanta Gas Light Company (AGLC) as a final resolution of all issues stemming from the incident at Sandy Plains Road and West Oak Parkway in Marietta.

Under terms of the agreement, STS, Inc. paid a fine of $10,000 to the Commission. STS, Inc. is the contractor hired by AGLC to locate the underground facilities in the incident. AGLC has paid $20,000 to the Utilities Protection Center Educational Fund in lieu of paying a fine directly to the Commission.

The Commissionís investigation revealed that STS and AGLC failed to properly locate the natural gas pipeline facilities at the intersection of Sandy Plains Road and West Oak Parkway in Marietta. The excavator struck a six-inch high pressure natural gas steel pipeline located in the middle of Sandy Plains Road. The ensuing leak caused the evacuation of nearby schools and businesses and shut down traffic in the affected area for more than twelve hours.

Ouch!!!! Can anyone say BOHICA
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

I sure would like to know the particulars of why the line wasn't properly located.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Default Wow

Guess we will see a safety bulliten on this in our next safety meetings huh

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking

The Commissionís investigation revealed that STS and AGLC failed to properly locate the natural gas pipeline facilities at the intersection of Sandy Plains Road and West Oak Parkway in Marietta. The excavator struck a six-inch high pressure natural gas steel pipeline located in the middle of Sandy Plains Road. The ensuing leak caused the evacuation of nearby schools and businesses and shut down traffic in the affected area for more than twelve hours.

Was the line not marked? Did STS have photo's of the markout?
    Does ant one have the particulars of this damage?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I search the news postings for these things. Many reports don't include the particulars like if the line was marked or even if a ticket was called. I wish they would.

I thought someone on the board may have a bit more information.