Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stresssss

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: Stresssss

Quote Originally Posted by utiliquesternomo View Post
    Now, here is an example of someone that should find something else to do for a living.The negativity just pours out of you.WHY would a supervisor rather have to report a liable than a non liable. THE PAINT DON'T LIE!! You need to learn responsibility.Own your marks.Stop trying to pass the buck.
    If you have been reading the post in here about usic it might shine light on what he is saying. I have had that supervisor when it was SM&P that would hint I do not have to locate everything at a drop or dog fence. Wanting me to take the risk for him to make his numbers. They have been clearing ticket by remote and such with not going to them and with drops just doing the drops and wagon wheeling around a ped. All these are shortcuts and if there is a damage and if push comes to shove the company is not going to have your back. After all nothing is in writing. They have always wanted quantity with quality and no damages, but in recent years seem to have leaned heavily on the quantity and have played quality as lip service. His advice about slowing down and doing it right and just worrying about the ticket you are on and letting your supervisor worry about the ticket load seemed like sound advice to me. As to his negatively with all the stuff going on with several of the locating companies you might be hard pressed to find some one that is not negative these days. They I believe out number the ones with the positive. there has been close to a dozen people on here that have quit and got out of the business because of all the B.S.

Years of Experience

I hate to say it but stress never leaves. Even when you go higher it gets worse. Crap rolls down hill - if your feeling it you know someone upstairs is feeling it too. But all is not lost. Let's look at it at a different angle.

Think about this for a minute: One factor of stress is level of control. When a person is in full control of a situation their stress level is very low (like how the Maharaja would live). As control is taken away the stress level rises accordingly. When you have absolutely no control the stress level hits maximum (life in a maximum security prison for example) and descriptives such as sociopath start being used. Don't worry, this job will never take you to that level of stress. You will have stressful times what I like to call "bad days" but for the most part the stress level can be managed.

How about you look at it like this: YOU control the locate. Lets look at the facts: you are the one with the ticket, you are on site, you have all the tools to do it, you have resources available to you if needed, YOU have the reciever in YOUR hand. You have all the control and everyone else is at your mercy. You do it your way under your terms. You're in charge. Empower yourself.

You probably heard it said; this job is 10% physical 90% mental. Well its not just your reasoning skills and your knowledge that they're talking about. Its also your mental outlook. Keep it positive.

You are so right,with your example,I need to find something else to do after 20 some years of being abused as a locator,and trust me ,it is not going to get any easier for you newbies ,ONLY WORSE ,Like I said been their done that and don't forget that.You sound like USIC upper mngt to me. { sorry}

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by laterite View Post
    You are so right,with your example,I need to find something else to do after 20 some years of being abused as a locator,and trust me ,it is not going to get any easier for you newbies ,ONLY WORSE ,Like I said been their done that and don't forget that.You sound like USIC upper mngt to me. { sorry}
    Amen to that^^ with 17 years under my belt it just gets worse. Find a release for the stress!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    Does anyone else spend their day completely stressed out about their job? I spend my whole day stressed and worried that I'm not doing something right. I am always waiting for that phone call that tells me I screwed something up. I am fairly new to this having only about 8 months under my belt. When I do get them calls for an emergency for somewhere that I located I get sick to my stomach. Late last week I pulled over and threw up on my way to a cut phone line. I was so flippin nervous. Is this normal? Does it pass with more experience?
    It gets better. But you need to work at it. First, by learning to do the craft right. It's a discipline, and you can become proficient at it. There is always room to improve, but eventually you will get to a place where you can handle most everything. You will know it when you're there. At that point, cut loose EVERYTHING THAT YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER! Say this to yourself every morning before you start your day. YMMV.

I just email a guy I work with to double check one that was bugging me while I was home for some time off.

It will always be there, but when you leave a ticket after giving it 110% of your attention...Then thats all you can do.

8 yrs strong in the bizz & I've learn it's best to take your time then to rush a job cause u want to give them quantity. Just remember the quantity you give today won't be the same you give tomorrow. We work in environment where we are trusting a machine to locate what we don't see so take your time cause it's better to give them 20 tickets than 19 w/a damage.

Live with it...it's not going subside.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12