Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stresssss

Years of Experience

Default Stresssss

Does anyone else spend their day completely stressed out about their job? I spend my whole day stressed and worried that I'm not doing something right. I am always waiting for that phone call that tells me I screwed something up. I am fairly new to this having only about 8 months under my belt. When I do get them calls for an emergency for somewhere that I located I get sick to my stomach. Late last week I pulled over and threw up on my way to a cut phone line. I was so flippin nervous. Is this normal? Does it pass with more experience?

Default Re: Stresssss

I was the same way when I first started. The most important thing to remember is that its just a job. Not worth your health. It took me a little over a year to get settled in. After 15 years in the business I still got butterflys in my stomach when I heard about a damage. Damages happen to the best of us. Its part of the business. But remember we as locators are only as good as our equipment.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm heading into my 12th year, I wish I could tell you that the feeling disappears but it doesn't. Its always there. You learn to deal with it though. It will go from an excruciating pain to a dull aching pain with time. but its always there.

Mke

Years of Experience

I'm deep into my 15th year in the locating bizz. It's hard to explain the horrible feeling that comes with a liable damage.That being said, if just getting a call on a damage makes you vomit without even knowing if it's a liable or not, you may be in the wrong profession.

Years of Experience

All of what was said, and on top of that are the nightmares. After 8 years doing this, I still have dreams about me not being sure if I found every damn cable and did I understand the entire scope of the ticket???
    I just had one the other night! It made me think about it all day...

Years of Experience
    17 years

If you're short-cutting jobs or going too fast, those worries will eat you up inside. Otherwise, just know that no one is perfect. You WILL make mistakes. The best you can tell yourself is that you know in your heart you did the best you possibly could. If your management team is competent, they will know which ones are quality and which ones aren't. They should go to bat for you if you care and do good work.
    I hope they aren't the types who intentionally keep their guys insecure. Living in fear of loosing your livelihood for every little slip up is a good way to get a heart attack and it's no way to go through life.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

After about 14 years in the business I still get that sick feeling. More so because I have to pay for my own damages.

If you can walk away from a locate and say to yourself that it is ready to be audited, then you have done your job and put that locate behind you and concentrate on the next one. If you walk away and you have doubts then turn around and get rid of those doubts. Your life will be so much less stressful.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

The very thing to remember is that mngt. wants both quantity and quality,Just remember that they can't have both...All you have to do is slow down and don't worry about the next ticket,Your sup. will have to worry.They want you to take short cuts but won't admit it.All they are worried about is their bottom line and how many tickets get done.Trust me, I have been their and done that.And when you do get nailed with a damage they will make every effort to make you at fault.So just remember to slow down and let your sup worry about tic load.

Years of Experience

Interesting outlooks. It eases my mind a bit...at least for now. I feel that my sup has my back for just about everything. I don't know why I get so upset about things at work. I guess maybe if I didn't give a hoot then maybe I wouldn't get upset.

As far as dreaming about locating I have learned the art of lucid dreaming over several years of practice so I can make my dreams damn near anything I want. I like dreaming about having sex with strange women and I also like dreaming about flying

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I can't sleep without white noise in the background because I constantly hear the tones of the 810 going off. I here them in the white noise as well, but they blend in better.

Ironically, I can hear 810 sounds, but not the Mrs. asking me to wash dishes..... go figure.

Mke

Years of Experience
    too many

Dont stress about it too much. If you are confident in what you do and take your time and do it right you'll see it pays off whn the call comes in for a cut line.Your Damage Investigator can give you great tips to make your job a bit easier too

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    Interesting outlooks. It eases my mind a bit...at least for now. I feel that my sup has my back for just about everything. I don't know why I get so upset about things at work. I guess maybe if I didn't give a hoot then maybe I wouldn't get upset.

As far as dreaming about locating I have learned the art of lucid dreaming over several years of practice so I can make my dreams damn near anything I want. I like dreaming about having sex with strange women and I also like dreaming about flying
    Maybe you should be a Playboy Pilot and fly the world with a major Airline, having sex with strange women. Sounds like more fun.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Maybe you should be a Playboy Pilot and fly the world with a major Airline, having sex with strange women. Sounds like more fun.
    Not to mention that it would pay WAY WAY better than locating.....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by laterite View Post
    The very thing to remember is that mngt. wants both quantity and quality,Just remember that they can't have both...All you have to do is slow down and don't worry about the next ticket,Your sup. will have to worry.They want you to take short cuts but won't admit it.All they are worried about is their bottom line and how many tickets get done.Trust me, I have been their and done that.And when you do get nailed with a damage they will make every effort to make you at fault.So just remember to slow down and let your sup worry about tic load.
    Now, here is an example of someone that should find something else to do for a living.The negativity just pours out of you.WHY would a supervisor rather have to report a liable than a non liable. THE PAINT DON'T LIE!! You need to learn responsibility.Own your marks.Stop trying to pass the buck.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by utiliquesternomo View Post
    Now, here is an example of someone that should find something else to do for a living.The negativity just pours out of you.WHY would a supervisor rather have to report a liable than a non liable. THE PAINT DON'T LIE!! You need to learn responsibility.Own your marks.Stop trying to pass the buck.
    laterite is correct. If you let your superiors brow beat you into going too fast for productions sake and the company takes an at-fault, they WILL hang it around your neck. The paint doesn't always tell the truth either. It just lays there. Why the damage occurred can be a million things. When the blame game starts, sh*t rolls downhill.
    I will own every mark I make and defend every locate I do. If I missed something, there is always a good reason and laziness is not one of them. This is why I would not leave the job until I had done everything in my power to ensure a quality and accurate locate. Period.
    In the end, you are remembered by the number of damages you take, not the speed at which you did them.
    Last edited by daman1; March 7th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast