Thread: Some questions about contracts and production (efficiency)...

Years of Experience

Question Some questions about contracts and production (efficiency)...

Hi CableVine,
    I have some questions about how contracts are generally arranged and how this affects my work.
    How are major locating companies (USIC et al.) normally paid with a lump sum contract or by the ticket?
    If so what are some common going rates per ticket types?
    Are there normally stipulations about short notice tickets or damage costs?

Is there a certain production goal per day/hour that locators must attain so companies can at least break even $$ or honor the contract?
    Ex: I'm in a suburban area normally do single family houses normally 10-20 thousand sq. ft. and some townhouses.
    I'm doing about 5-7 tickets per day (8-10 hrs.)

I also occasionally(about twice a month) have 2,000 ft plus locates with multiple HP, gas, fiber and cable.
    What do most big locating companies expect for that kind of area?

I've been in the field for about a month and a half.

Kind of alot, but thanks Cablevine : )

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Some questions about contracts and production (efficiency)...

"Hi CableVine,
    I have some questions about how contracts are generally arranged and how this affects my work.
    How are major locating companies (USIC et al.) normally paid with a lump sum contract or by the ticket?
    If so what are some common going rates per ticket types?"

Most are paid by the ticket, a few are lump sum.

"Are there normally stipulations about short notice tickets or damage costs?"

Two entirely differ subjects.

There may be different payments made on a short notice, depends on how the contract was negotiated.

Damage costs due to error by the locate company are paid by the locate company. Very possible that the contract contains a stipulation of allowing only so many damages per thousand or ten thousand tickets.

"Is there a certain production goal per day/hour that locators must attain so companies can at least break even $$ or honor the contract?
    Ex: I'm in a suburban area normally do single family houses normally 10-20 thousand sq. ft. and some townhouses.
    I'm doing about 5-7 tickets per day (8-10 hrs.)"

Each company sets a production goal based on their unique cost overhead. Another factor is how many different utilities, charges for each one, that you locate.

"I also occasionally(about twice a month) have 2,000 ft plus locates with multiple HP, gas, fiber and cable.
    What do most big locating companies expect for that kind of area?"

Locate companies want distance charges, can't always get that in the contract.

"I've been in the field for about a month and a half.

Kind of alot, but thanks Cablevine : )"

For most people they do not really start learning this job until they have been in the field a year. When looking at applicants resumes they like to see three years of more experience. This means you lasted three years without damaging out, that you understand the demands of the job and put up with them and after three years you are experienced enough to make a good locator.

Years of Experience

I don't think there is an average cost for a contract. I think alot of have seen CATV contract got for as little as $5/locate and some fiber contracts that can go for over $30/locate. Some contracts you only get paid if you paint and some contracts have a show up fee.

Bottom line is that if you are a locator at a contract locating company you have no control over the locate pricing. You can just try to do your job the best you can as efficiently as you can.

I also agree that as a new locator you don't even really begin to know what you are doing until you have a year in. The first year is just learning the basics and how things should work. After the first year you can concentrate on troubleshooting and becoming more efficient.

Years of Experience

By the very nature of contracting business, a profit is the end purpose. This is an ongoing, day to day concern by everyone in your company. Your role in this is to do what you were taught in training, listen to your supervisor and learn from your mentors. If you make an honest effort at every locate, ask for help when you need it and strive to do better tomorrow you will meet the goals laid out for you.

But if you try to get ahead of yourself, start worrying about numbers instead of accuracy, you are setting yourself up for trouble. Just keep your nose clean, do what you are told, and focus on your work, I assure you you will out last the others in your training class.

You seem like a smart person and is aware of the big picture. If all goes well, one day, these concerns will be yours to figure out but for right now the best thing you could do for your company is to focus on damage prevention.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I think GoldenBoy and Dusty hit the nail on the head with concentrating on the task at hand and not worry about production. There is an acceptable window for noobs and their production.

I do want to ammend Dusty's statement about "Your role in this is to do what you were taught in training, listen to your supervisor and learn from your mentors." Sometimes you are saddled with a bunch of assholes. You have take your initiative that you have put towards figuring out billing and stuff and re-direct it to locating. You might of had a great instructor like I had, but you might of had someone who doesn't know anything about real world locating techniques. The best advise here is to listen and learn. Follow the advise of good locators, they may or maynot be considered "Mentors" by the company, but you can usually pick them out.

Mke