Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, I smoked a Cable TV feeder...AND IT WOULD'VE BEEN SO EASY TO CATCH....;-o

Default So, I smoked a Cable TV feeder...AND IT WOULD'VE BEEN SO EASY TO CATCH....;-o

4.5 mile total borejob, got past all the nasty duct runs and large fibers, and cluster**** intersections. If anyone is familiar with Baton Rouge, the bore went from I-12, down airline to bluebonnet, down bluebonnet to jefferson, then south from that intersection to blue cross parkway, a road leading to a massive Blue Cross building. They bored about a mile from bluebonnet into the building, it was the largest job I've ever done with a crew. They had three total crews working, two during the week, and one on the weekend. The guys were actually really cool, I mean, they were from Eunice...people from out that way speak with an accent that almost sounds like they'd find it couthe to drink their own piss, if filtered properly....but anyway, they're a good bunch of guys once you talk to them for a few minutes.

This was also the first 4-5mile bore job I've done like this. So, we get all the way to the very end of the bore, more or less. Anyone who has done this before knows, you can't knock it all out in one day. You have to coordinate with the excavator, and on top of you checking it daily, they call you with updates when they think they are nearing the end of your markings, etc. Well, we got all the way 3.75 miles,from I-12 to bluebonnet, then from blue to jefferson, and then from jefferson halfway to blue cross pkway is where the line got hit, (appx 3.75mi)....

It was a situation where they had a weekend crew come in on a Sunday, and I had worked that Sunday but when I came in, they had already bored up past where the cut was, so I just continued marking towards bluecross pkway, so they'd be covered. Well, a feeder crossed the street, that I didn't see on my plat, but it was on a different cable plat that showed the same area I was in. Pisses me off, especially this close to raise time. I mean, I really love my job, (well, I love it as much as a guy who isn't passionate about what he does, can love his job.) I guess you could say I take a good deal of pride in my work. Sometimes things get crazy when you have 140 tickets and then 10 people calling you asking for favors etc. Sometimes it feels like my phone doesn't stop ringing, and at 8:00 am when you're just getting into the groove of knocking down some tickets, a ton of guys call you wanting favors done which ****s the day up pretty good. Because you wanna do those favors, so they call you when they know a damage could occur. If you tell that guy to take a walk, when he sees a ped and no paint, he's gonna say '**** that asshat locator' and not call me. So, I goto the favors and help out my excavators......

On the bright side, it was only 100yd span..So, around 5.00 a foot, that's around 1500-1600 dollars for our company to shell out. (Here, they don't splice cable tv, they just rebore the entire span.)

It sucks, because March is right around raise time for me, but whatever, it is what it is.....I was hoping to come out unscathed with that borejob, when I told the excavator that, he laughed and said "Mang that aint nuttin, shewt, if we could only smoke 1 feeder per 5mile bore we'd be in great shape!"I laughed, but inside...I disagree with him, I mean I think it could've been done without any damages...I'm pretty sure they did the majority of the bore at a depth of approximately 15+ feet.

Like I said, it sucks because raise time's right around the corner and I'm just hoping that my company won't ignore everything good I've done for them, keeping Sherwood and Coursey covered without a single liable damage, (but 5 cuts) under my belt. Not a single one...I have this bad feeling they'll just forget about all that and make this damage the reason I don't get a raise. Hopefully I'm just stressed out over nothing.

All I can do is crawl my ass outta bed and goto work, do my job the best I can, and hope for the best!...
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Default Re: So, I smoked a Cable TV feeder...AND IT WOULD'VE BEEN SO EASY TO CATCH....;-o

Again, there are only 2 kinds of Locators: 'Those that have had damages and those that are going to have damages'. Do your best and pray a lot.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Default Re: So, I smoked a Cable TV feeder...AND IT WOULD'VE BEEN SO EASY TO CATCH....;-o

Well said Spray

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Don't feel so bad. I did the same thing with a 2-inch gas line. Oh, Yeah... you can read about it in underground focus magazine.

I'm still feeling sick about that one.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Yeah, i had my own this year.

A contractor phoned in an entire subdivision, one i have marked several times.

Totally forgot about a gas main crossing and you guessed it, they smoked it. I was really pissed at myself over that one.

Keep your head up though dude!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

hang in there scap!!!! damages have to happen for you to get better at not getting damages........there's only one way to truly learn from a mistake.......!!!! learn a valuable lesson with this damage.......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

You smoked a tv feeder? How did the plastic coating and the foam in the middle taste in gaseous form? Did it get you high? Man there are better thing to do if you are depressed. Try BEER! Just kidding. Everyone has a damage eventually. If you never have a damage then you are not doing enough work!
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

I worry my butt off when it comes to power and gas damages and also cable tv however no one will ever die from a cable tv damage unless some fat house wife can't see oprah, better luck next time

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Again, there are only 2 kinds of Locators: 'Those that have had damages and those that are going to have damages'. Do your best and pray a lot.
    That's a big ten four, spraynpray. and I love that quote.

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Yeah, i had my own this year.

A contractor phoned in an entire subdivision, one i have marked several times.

Totally forgot about a gas main crossing and you guessed it, they smoked it. I was really pissed at myself over that one.

Keep your head up though dude!
    Thanks, man - and I hope you are enjoying your much needed time off, brother. Snow up there has to be a bitch to locate in- I honestly couldn't imagine it. But it's so beautiful in Canada, it's worth the tradeoff. Lol, 2500.00 litter fines, etc. Gotta love B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    hang in there scap!!!! damages have to happen for you to get better at not getting damages........there's only one way to truly learn from a mistake.......!!!! learn a valuable lesson with this damage.......
    yahoo! hey, just wanted to let you know, that some fellas here at my office enjoy reading your post. They're lurkers, (they don't post, but only read) but they said they get a kick outta your wit. ;-)

Hey, you aren't from the Mandeville office by chance, are ya? What area do you work out of again, it's either Mand or Lafayette..right?

Damages do help you learn. And spray made a great point. If a fcukhead smokes a line, he's liable to do it again. But an intelligent induvidual who values his job, and likes what he does for a living, and wants to move up in the company through years of proving himself, definately learns from his mistakes. I love that quote~ I actually pasted it onto my notepad file I keep in C:\quotes\quotes.txt, if you want the real truth...hehe

It's like Kyle, my sup, told me one time..."Patrick, the odds are stacked up against you, as a locator...It's up to you to make the right decisions to not only cover your ass, but to make it easy for the excavator to complete their job as well...That's why after doing this shit for 5+ years, I can stick my chest out; after watching so many guys come and go because they couldn't hack it, and be ultimately proud of what I do for a living."

Hey scap, what up dude! It looks to me like ur done a very good job locating that area/multiple cables/HP's/ducts, keeping up with large ticket load and only one cut, with only one year of locating........ We wish we had that kind of talent in our office. In 8 years i have seen allot of techs come & go (about 30 or so). We work for the same company..... no worries mate

Quote Originally Posted by MIG4000 View Post
    Hey scap, what up dude! It looks to me like ur done a very good job locating that area/multiple cables/HP's/ducts, keeping up with large ticket load and only one cut, with only one year of locating........ We wish we had that kind of talent in our office. In 8 years i have seen allot of techs come & go (about 30 or so). We work for the same company..... no worries mate
    that really makes me feel good, MIG. I appreciate the kind words, friend. Well, I'm about to ass out. It's only 9:30, but I gotta wake up around 6am tommarrow on the dot and be out in the field for 6:30, i'm gonna pound out another 30-35 tickets, none of which are drops (lol) tommarrow.....I SHOULDVE STAYED IN COLLEGE AND NOT DROPPED OUT LOL ...

ps gratz to your mississippi guy placing in one of those locate rodeo events.. I saw some guy from Utiliquest out of Mississippi place in some event haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast