Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By The Marlboro Man
  • 1 Post By Outlaw Locater

Thread: Sneaky Contractors...

Years of Experience

Question Sneaky Contractors...

Has anyone had contractors put the homeowner's name on the ticket for them,
    so if something got hit they supposedly would not be charged for the damage?

I've had this happen a couple times, I show up expecting to meet the HO and
    they wonder what I'm doing on their property... : /
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Years of Experience

Default Re: Sneaky Contractors...

Yeah, used to get em all the time. Don't think they can do that here anymore.

I like the fence tickets they call for entire property. I get there and the homeowner says, "why you marking the front yard, the fence is going in the back?" I says "you better check with the fence co. cause they told us entire property which means they must be charging you extra $ for a fence around your entire property that their only putting in the backyard." Homeowners aint to happy when they hear that. Ha-haa-ha.
    Last edited by The Marlboro Man; September 23rd, 2014 at 10:48 PM.
    Nb22x, superman, UULC and 1 others like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

That is one of the reasons.

Another is that some jurisdictions use the call before you dig ticket system to check the contractors calling in tickets. Then they check and make sure they are liscensed and bonded because if they are not that is a $10,000 fine around my home.

Still another is checking for correct permits. In some areas a contractor must pay filing fees while a homeowner may pay none or a lessor amount.

Quote Originally Posted by The Marlboro Man View Post
    Yeah, used to get em all the time. Don't think they can do that here anymore.

I like the fence tickets they call for entire property. I get there and the homeowner says, "why you marking the front yard, the fence is going in the back?" I says "you better check with the fence co. cause they told us entire property which means they must be charging you extra $ for a fence around your entire property that their only putting in the backyard." Homeowners aint to happy when they hear that. Ha-haa-ha.

Years of Experience
    17 years

In my state, as far as I know, if the homeowner calls in a fence ticket and the fence contractor does the work, the contractor still has to call it in. If he doesn't and hits something, even if it's mismarked, he'll be responsible for the damage because he dug without calling in. When they think they found a loophole and have the home owner call it in, they're actually covering the locator's butt. He can mismark the whole job and the at fault will go to the contractor.

Years of Experience

Around here the ticket must be called in by the person or company doing the work. So it says in the JULIE recording. That I don't listen to anymore. Usually because I put my tickets in online, but still...

I've gotten a few small jobs for residential work this way, someone calls for a quote and in my spiel to them I usually ask about their other quotes and ask if the contractor was going to call it in or made the homeowner call it in. Some of them said the contractors wanted the homeowner to call the ticket in and homeowners usually don't know any better. When they talk to me and I let them know what the law is they usually go with me.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I see it more now than I used to. I inform the homeowner of the law. They don't know what is going on. I also tell the HO that if they are paying the bill then let the contractor do the work and that includes calling for locates.

I don't explain why the contractors do it or what the consequences are, that would be too much info. for most of them.

I did have one lady (about 75 yo) tell me the contractor told her to call in locates AND that she needed to expose the cables because they didn't want the liability. I was pissed about that one. Maybe she misunderstood which is likely, but that is what she told me. I explained to her that she shouldn't have to do anything and she is paying them to do that work. Told her about the law etc....

Some contractors are charging for locates too. I haven't seen it for a while, but I've seen it. I really like telling HO's they are getting screwed on that one. Call me evil but contractors need to be stopped from doing this crap.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

No premarks and "whole property" are some of my least favorites........ but before we even go there lets talk about how contractors remember to call in a ticket and cover their assess 110% of the time..... but decide to explain to the homeowner a locater will be swinging by their house 0% of the time.
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience

RIGHT! Its always, hello what the F*uck are you doing in my yard...
    Oh I'm sorry the Fence, it's just around the back, The didn't tell me anyone was coming...
    Grrrr...
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."