Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By CableAvoidanceTool

Thread: Smallest vehicle you ever had?

Years of Experience

Default Smallest vehicle you ever had?

What's the smallest vehicle you have worked in?

I started from a Ford Ranger to a Rav4, then to a Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe.

And now I just got a Chevy Sonic hatchback. I have enough room for a box of red, box of orange, small toolbag, transmitter, receiver, paint stick, some flags and cones. This is with the back seats down permanently.

Anyone got something smaller?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: Smallest vehicle you ever had?

Back when I started, we hada pick colored berries to make paint, load them onto a log and drag our equipment to site. It wasn't a until a great visionary locator invented the concept of attaching circular objects to the underside of the log making our jobs much easier.

He dubbed his invention "wheel". It was a helluva thing. Never underestimate the mind of ProfessionalLocator. Shoulda gotten a patent though. Live and learn I guess.
    CableAvoidanceTool likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

If I had gotten that patent I would be living large, not painting dirt.

Our company fleet management team is actually from the construction side of the firm so they tend to get what they think we need.

They actually got something like halve a dozen Chevy Sparks for the locators. After all, how could we locators know they were too small for our work if we had not tried them. After stuffing them with multiple cases of paint, extension sticks, manhole cover lifting bars and the rest of it low and behold they were too small for the job.

Years of Experience

All week I have been like "where in the hell am I going to put that?!". LOL!

Years of Experience
    17 years

I worked out of those little cars in the past. HATED IT !!!!! Left all my paint except for one case of each color, a few bundles of each flag, and non essential tools in the garage at home. If I didn't have a manhole in my ticket load, the blower and safety gate stayed home too. Muttered to my sup that I deserved to charge for storage (no, I never got that check). Had a couple of emergencies that required them and had to run back home to pick them up. Boss didn't seem to mind it as long as I kept up with my ticket load. Otherwise, if you know your area, you can pick out all the jobs in conflict with manholes and make a day out of it. Keep in mind that what little dignity you have will be lost when you pull up beside a utility guy or excavator's turbo diesel pick up. Like they don't already have enough ammo to poke fun at us.

Just give it time and when those clown cars start getting stuck or needing emergency roadside repair, the company will decide maybe the mileage isn't worth the hassle and go back to a real utility vehicle. If they need the cheap mileage to keep the contract then they will be gone soon enough and the next company will get you a truck.

On the plus side, the stereos are usually a lot nicer in the cars. Turn off the Beiber and play some Pantera. This too shall pass.
    Last edited by daman1; March 26th, 2016 at 01:06 PM.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I remember once, the car I was driving died and my boss had to get me a rental for 2 weeks.

The only thing available at the local rental place was a Chrysler Town and Country van. lol, I drove that around for like 2 weeks doing locates, so much room. I must have looked like a soccer mom or something.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

single cab ford ranger .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    I remember once, the car I was driving died and my boss had to get me a rental for 2 weeks.

The only thing available at the local rental place was a Chrysler Town and Country van. lol, I drove that around for like 2 weeks doing locates, so much room. I must have looked like a soccer mom or something.
    I drove a Dodge Grand Caravan for several years. It's a great locate vehicle.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

My smallest car was a Geo Metro Hatchback. Great little locate car. I only located TV at the time so I didn't need any manhole equipment.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    = (Current year - 2011)

Since 2011, I've driven a Toyota Tacoma, A Ford Ranger, a Toyota Matrix, a Rav4, a Scion XD,and most recently, a Nissan Frontier. I was locating Telephone, Electric, CATV, Water, Gas, and various F/O contracts out of the back of the Scion XD. The only saving grace to that one was the nice Bluetooth stereo with steering wheel controls.

Years of Experience

Had a Nissan Versa Hatchback towards the end of DPG here in the state. They started switching their entire fleet from the older model Colorado to Versa and Aveo hatchs or a work van thing (looked like a small ford transit can't remember make).

The van was nice and roomy for equipment but was full of drawers on the wall. We don't really carry enough stuff to fill all the drawers and without weight in them they rattled like crazy as you drove. The Aveo had nice options, power windows/locks/alarm. They were slow as hell though and really not good for daily work fleet type driving. We had all kinds of mechanical trouble with the Aveos. The Versa didn't have any power convenience options, but had 10x better interior and engine. People would think I was in some slow crap box and would be surprised when I would haul off from the light. I only did gas so it carried everything ok.

They were switching to save money on the improved gas mileage, but, the few times I checked it, the gas mileage wasn't much better than the truck in the the real job world

Years of Experience

A Kia hamster Try to beat that.
    Last edited by Kramit69; April 7th, 2016 at 01:52 AM.