Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SM&P's latest hire: U.B. Quizzedalot

Years of Experience

Default Re: SM&P's latest hire: U.B. Quizzedalot

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Back in the day, I was hired @ SM&P immediately after management reviewed my test results from a multiple-choice "personality quiz." There were 80+ multiple-guess questions based on this format:

You are working at a warehouse that has new high-value audio/visual equipment in inventory. You witness a veteran employee, Joe, removing a piece of this equipment from the warehouse and placing it in his personal vehicle. You ask Joe what is going on. Joe says the last pay raise he received was so long ago that this equipment is just payback. What do you do?

A.) Confront Joe to explain to him this not the proper way to handle a pay raise issue. Tell Joe this is theft and he either he puts the equipment back in the warehouse now or you will tell management what you have witnessed.

B.) Tell all your peers about what you saw Joe steal from the warehouse and his reason for doing it.

C.) Tell your immediate supervisor what you witnessed Joe doing and Joe's reasoning.

D.) Do nothing and keep the incident to yourself.

I passed this test with Blue Ribbon accuracy and have experienced 11+ years of successful locating. My question is to you, my fellow Viners - What would you do?

my wife's answer....

I would think like a locator...grab some paint...mark the ground from the warehouse to the car. If I'm feeling charitable, I'd just flag the car instead of painting it. Merchandise located...job done.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

fyi zero consulting dollars was spent on the test, two humble HR managers who aint there anymore did all the project work involved, it is not a personality test, it is a integrity/stress test to help hiring people understand if people will be able handle the job before them better with integrity, it was field tested and operations liked it, managers, supervisors and technicians who worked here and wanted a better grade of person to come in through the front door.

i do enjoy your thoughts on it but i wanted to set the record straight on this, it is a good thing if administered right and you can have a good candidate pool taking it. What hinders it if you have zero candidate pool and hiring anyone who can breathe and pretending they are the best candidate, just my two cents from someone who still cares about the orange paint army.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerd75 View Post
    What hinders it if you have zero candidate pool and hiring anyone who can breathe and pretending they are the best candidate, just my two cents from someone who still cares about the orange paint army.

And there in lyes the problem! This has been the standard for as long as I can remember. We lay off during the winter here and then dont hire to replace the ones that dont come back. Then spring comes and oh hell were not going to have the personel to get the work done so they hire "crack pot joe" off the street and throw him through a 2wk training class where they dont even learn how to turn on the damn computer let alone know which the reciever is out of the two thingies they give them to locate with.

Sometimes I think it would be better if they gave them some good ol witchin rods and a can of paint and throw em to the wolves LOL!!!!

But hey they keep preaching that its only gonna get better.

Be prepared the new HP locating procedure is getting ready to be mandatory for everyone even the people such as myself that are exempt as of this very moment because we dont have damages (knock on wood) so soon we all will be having to do all double access points and also taking pictures of said points to prove we did the right thing and hooked up at both ends of locate. I do understand that some need to do this (new hires) to learn the locate procedure, but those of us with experience know when something isnt running right due to current, funny signal, ghosting, etc.... And you know they will still want their numbers so people are going to cheat the system by taking the shortcuts that need done to get them their money and eventually it will bite them in the butt and they will be gone.... My area is either clear or HP no inbetween. It will take me twice as long to do the locate as it did before so I guess we will see where all that goes....

Sorry for the soapbox rant, couldnt help myself there for a bit LOL!!!!
    C.Y.A. like everyone is out to screw you and ya will be fine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

We got the word last week - What's so screwy is that most of the new Electric we picked up runs better in Power/Passive mode than it does by coupling or direct connecting. I just love working for people that don't really know how the job actually needs to be done.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerd75 View Post
    fyi zero consulting dollars was spent on the test, two humble HR managers who aint there anymore did all the project work involved, it is not a personality test, it is a integrity/stress test to help hiring people understand if people will be able handle the job before them better with integrity, it was field tested and operations liked it, managers, supervisors and technicians who worked here and wanted a better grade of person to come in through the front door.

i do enjoy your thoughts on it but i wanted to set the record straight on this, it is a good thing if administered right and you can have a good candidate pool taking it. What hinders it if you have zero candidate pool and hiring anyone who can breathe and pretending they are the best candidate, just my two cents from someone who still cares about the orange paint army.
    Another one misses the point. The locating field and especially the large companies, think there is a special formula for discovering the perfect locator.

The real issue is the locating business is a contract business. In my experience most employees tend to look at the job as a temporary stop.

Many of those staying in the business, stay because they enjoy the trade and cannot find another trade as rewarding. Dont confuse these employees as loyal to the company, because they understand the "company" can leave at any moment.

There is no incentive for these individuals to trust a company on a 2-5 year contract. The business needs to add long range contracts and build stability within regions. I think a review of companies that have had contracts renewed several times over will see less turnover rates, stable workforce, client satisfaction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12