Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SM&P's latest hire: U.B. Quizzedalot

Default SM&P's latest hire: U.B. Quizzedalot

So, word on the street is that all new hiring will be based on a personality quiz administered by computer. Gone are the days of face-to-face interviews!

We've been told that CLS uses this already and that they have a 30% annual turnover rate for locators as compared to SM&P's 70-80% annual turnover rate.

Now, from what I've seen, this job takes all types. Of the 10 people in my training class, I think about 80% are still on the job about a year later. The one trainee that I thought would wash out immediately has gone on to be one of the strongest "new" locators in my area!

What do you guys think about a quiz determining whether or not you can do this job? Any CLS locators that have taken the quiz care to weigh in? I'd be curious to know what kind of questions they ask. I'll present a few that should be included:

1) Are you willing to work independently? In other words, if we put you in the field with substandard/non-existent tools, do you think you can cobble together a decent locate?

2) How do you feel about expectations? Can you suspend reality and convince yourself that working conditions/weather are always perfect, and produce performance numbers to that effect?

3) Do you like responsibility? How about millions of dollars in responsibility? Can you reconcile the fact that with enormous responsibility comes comparatively tiny rewards?

4) What are your feelings on bureaucracy? Select one:

a) I dislike it. Please keep it to a minimum so I can do my job.

b) I love it! Nothing pleases me more than thinking there are hundreds
    of people in cozy offices firing off needless, repetitive emails all day
    and making three times my salary to boot!

5) How are you with interpersonal relationships? Select one:

a) I judge everyone on a case-by-case basis, and from then on by what I
    observe of their actions/behaviors. I prefer to be judged the same way.

b) I prefer to always be presumed an incompetent idiot who knows very
    little and is unable to comprehend simple instructions. Hey, people's
    opinion of me can only get better!

6) Special Powers: which do you have? Select all that apply:

a) X-ray vision. (major bonus points!)

b) ESP (ability to read minds) (super-duper bonus points!)

c) Teleportation/Cloning (the ability to be in two places at once is highly
    regarded in our industry!)

d) Telekinesis (The ability to move objects with your mind--many of our
    contractors have this ability, and it helps if you do too!)

Congratulations! You're hired (or not)!

Default Re: SM&P's latest hire: U.B. Quizzedalot

Oh I see now, it was so simple. It's the INITIAL HIRE'S apptitude that determines longevity and less turn over! Not working conditions, office politics, ass kissers, the ole boy click network, dm's and supervisors who are clueless, $10 bucks an hour doing 4 way locates, having production crammed down your throat until your quality starts to suffer, zero to shitty raises, lack of equipment, using old beat up equipment and the list can go on and on and on!

I wonder how much money they spent on a consulting firm to figure out that they need to give a test? That is GENIUS!!!!!!

Here we go again with the bitching. Join the UNION and put all that behind you.

Well there 'peak' it isn't bitching and it isn't a pro union cry. What it IS is shining a light on the utter stupidity and worthlessness of those who are 'in the know' about how and why problems like turnover continually plague this industry. Yet again this a prime example of it being the Locator who is to blame, not the shitty practices of the company or management or supervisory personnel who sit around all day trying to figure out new and exciting ways to make the numbers look good on daily reports (even if those numbers are a little phony).

There is no union and if we did they would just pull their roots and dump the whole state they are in where we would like to have a union. All though I think it would be a good idea to have one to protect us because we all know no one out there protects you but yourself (hence my sig!) You dont last long in this industry by kissing ass and going with the flow all that does is put you in reach of the sharks because they all eat off eachoter eventually....
    C.Y.A. like everyone is out to screw you and ya will be fine!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

I found a site that has a personality quiz for CLS. The link is found in the upper right of page.

More corporate dumbass thought processes....

http://www.jobs.net/Job.asp?jid=J3H0SP6954668FXWZL6

Yeah! Ummmmm I took this supposid quiz.... Ill be damned if I wanna be in administration!!!!

Link to test: http://www.careerpath.com/career-tes...annerquiz.aspx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clipboard01.jpg  

Like I said, welcome to the world's largest locating company, one that's full of piss poor communication, dogshit planning, and mistreated slaves, err, employees.

Years of Experience

we already have these type hiring processes in place......they are all worthless and the ratio is still .............. hire 10 and maybe get one 2 years later......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Out of a class of 10 your lucky to keep 2?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by duke View Post
    So, word on the street is that all new hiring will be based on a personality quiz administered by computer.

What do you guys think about a quiz determining whether or not you can do this job? Any CLS locators that have taken the quiz care to weigh in? I'd be curious to know what kind of questions they ask.
    Back in the day, I was hired @ SM&P immediately after management reviewed my test results from a multiple-choice "personality quiz." There were 80+ multiple-guess questions based on this format:

You are working at a warehouse that has new high-value audio/visual equipment in inventory. You witness a veteran employee, Joe, removing a piece of this equipment from the warehouse and placing it in his personal vehicle. You ask Joe what is going on. Joe says the last pay raise he received was so long ago that this equipment is just payback. What do you do?

A.) Confront Joe to explain to him this not the proper way to handle a pay raise issue. Tell Joe this is theft and he either he puts the equipment back in the warehouse now or you will tell management what you have witnessed.

B.) Tell all your peers about what you saw Joe steal from the warehouse and his reason for doing it.

C.) Tell your immediate supervisor what you witnessed Joe doing and Joe's reasoning.

D.) Do nothing and keep the incident to yourself.

I passed this test with Blue Ribbon accuracy and have experienced 11+ years of successful locating. My question is to you, my fellow Viners - What would you do?

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'd steal it from Joe's car, sell it for a rock of crack and get high.......
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

E) Help Joe carry it to his car for good evidence then rat him out to his supervisor while the goods are still in there, is the answer that carries you to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    I'd steal it from Joe's car, sell it for a rock of crack and get high.......
    LMMFAO!!!! And a dime bag of good ol ditch weed!!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GODFATHER View Post
    Out of a class of 10 your lucky to keep 2?
    that 's a 10-4.......you can easily quit and go to the oilfield here!!!! starting pay is 23.00 and up an hour......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Back in the day, I was hired @ SM&P immediately after management reviewed my test results from a multiple-choice "personality quiz." There were 80+ multiple-guess questions based on this format:

You are working at a warehouse that has new high-value audio/visual equipment in inventory. You witness a veteran employee, Joe, removing a piece of this equipment from the warehouse and placing it in his personal vehicle. You ask Joe what is going on. Joe says the last pay raise he received was so long ago that this equipment is just payback. What do you do?

A.) Confront Joe to explain to him this not the proper way to handle a pay raise issue. Tell Joe this is theft and he either he puts the equipment back in the warehouse now or you will tell management what you have witnessed.

B.) Tell all your peers about what you saw Joe steal from the warehouse and his reason for doing it.

C.) Tell your immediate supervisor what you witnessed Joe doing and Joe's reasoning.

D.) Do nothing and keep the incident to yourself.

I passed this test with Blue Ribbon accuracy and have experienced 11+ years of successful locating. My question is to you, my fellow Viners - What would you do?

i'm not for sure about what i saw???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast