Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick/Personell Days

Default Sick/Personel Days

I was sick one night and I got very little sleep and decided to take a "sick day" since I have a bunch of sick hours saved up...I don't call off very much.

So I call my "Sup" in the morning to let him know that I can't work that day and get replied with an onslaught of vulgar language that I won't repeat here. This isn't the first time I have heard this, everytime I need a vacation day or a sick day I have to hear my "Sup" scream at me and then hang up the phone on me!

Is this something thats regular in this industry? I can't help but wonder why they give me these Vacation/Sick hours if they don't ever want me to take them!

I'm pretty much fed up with the way I have been treated from my Company, so much I am considering quitting very soon!

I can almost expect it from the "suits", but when I deliver great numbers everyday for my "Sup"..and then I need one day off and I am treated like this, it makes me want to get out of this business!

Am I the only one that has been cussed at by their "Sup" and then hung up on just because I needed a day off?
    Last edited by Dracula; September 6th, 2008 at 11:35 AM.

Default Re: Sick/Personell Days

Get use to it bud, happens everywhere.
    I've been told to have a "Doctors Note" (refused because I don't need a note from my mommy because I was sick)
    I've worked for 4 months straight, burned out, things slowed down and I ask to take MY EARNED vacation time and was told flat out NO.
    Hurt my back and HAD to take a week off, when I came back "we" had a meeting telling me that if I took any more time off that my position would "have to filled" by someone else.
    Yeah it happens EVERYWHERE.

It's been like that at every job I've had. I've called in a total of 4 times(in 20yrs) in my life and got lit up all 4 times. Most managers are pricks, and need to assert this anytime you have an issue. You must be pretty good if this is all they can bitch at you about. This is for later when they do your yearly review so they can downgrade you somewhere.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

We dont deal with that s**t down here we need a sick day our sup say ok i helps when your sup was once a tech and hasnt forgot what we deal with everyday but balances the corprate side also.
    SOME DAYS U R THE BUG OTHER DAYS U R THE WINDSHIELD!!

In the 35 years that I've been in the work force, I've never had a problem taking a day off, and that includes my time in the locating industry. When one of brothers passed away two years ago, I took an extra day off and no one had a problem with that.

Thats just stupid to be hassled for calling in sick.. do they really want people to come in to work that may be so out of focus that they make a large mistake, or step out in front of traffic, fall down a hill, or spread a virus at work etc ?

If you dont have union protection from such hassling, maybe theres a state/prov labour law or something protecting against this ?
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience
    na

Problem is alot of you guys let management walk all over you...

So here is how I see you-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9-socLsppw

It's sad to say this but really sometimes you HAVE to let them walk all over you. Take it from me, if you stand up and fight with them about anything for any length of time it will haunt you later. I now have reputation in this industry that precedes me just about everywhere I go because of fighting with management. They will talk shit about you to other companies.
    Now not ALL companies are bad but the bad ones (sup's and mngmnt) do hold the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    It's sad to say this but really sometimes you HAVE to let them walk all over you. Take it from me, if you stand up and fight with them about anything for any length of time it will haunt you later. I now have reputation in this industry that precedes me just about everywhere I go because of fighting with management. They will talk shit about you to other companies.
    Now not ALL companies are bad but the bad ones (sup's and mngmnt) do hold the majority.

AMEN to that brother!!

For years I thought I was fighting the good fight to stir change. Instead I have a rep of not being a "company" guy...

...not that I want to be a "company" guy, but I would like to make a living doing what I enjoy & get to use the benefits (i.e sick days, vacation, etc) they say we have.

Now, I work for a company (out of locating) where I get scheduled breaks, a lunch, all sorts of perks with stock options & insurance discounts but the work is SOOOO boring, most days I feel like eating the business end of my .38!

I've inquired a few times about jobs back in the industry but I believe maybe my reputation is preceding me a bit. Oh, and I refuse to drink the SM&P cool-aid. (there's my mouth getting me in trouble again!!)

Oh well... at least I sleep well at night...
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Default Re: Sick/Personel Days

Thats my point...I think I get sick because of the stress of this job, and
    when I feel like I should take a break from it because of the stress, I'm hit with more stress because I need a day off! It just keeps coming back to the fact that Companies don't give a rats ass about Locators and are only looking out for themselves...we are nothing more then their money makers and if you aren't producing money for them...then you are expendable...they will just hire someone else thats as clueless as you were we you got hired and BAM! They are right back at hitting their production goal. Well at least I got to see my kids more over my one sick day, that I'm sure I'll be paying for the next few weeks!

Years of Experience

The worst part about taking a sick/personal day or even taking vacation is thinking about what kind of shape your area is going to be in when you come back to work. Normally only what has to be done is done while your gone and everything else just sits in your computer till you get back.

This is the first industry I've been in where they don't have "floaters" to cover vacations and sick days. In the garbage company we had lead men that made a little more money but never knew where they were gonna work day to day. They just covered the areas that needed help the most. If our companies staffed a little better then the sups wouldn't worry as much about a guy taking a needed day off.

Years of Experience
    30+

When you call in sick, and they tell you know, write an e-mail to your sup and the DM telling them that:

1) If you have a damage you will not be responsible
    2) That if you have a MOR, Vehicle accident you can put it back on the company.

I have asked for some folks to try to come in and if they cannot do th work send them home. I have also had folks who would try to take a day a week. I would tell them to bring me a doctors note.

Each sup has to know their employee. The ones who you know work and produce you do whatever you have too to keep them healthy.

Years of Experience

We try to keep two floaters around to cover holes if someone is sick or on vacation. I have always jokingly said this is the only business you get a month off and you can only take it from Dec- Feburary when it is 20 below and a foot of the snow on the ground. The longer I have been here the truer it is

Quote Originally Posted by frostypeters View Post
    AMEN to that brother!!

For years I thought I was fighting the good fight to stir change. Instead I have a rep of not being a "company" guy...

...not that I want to be a "company" guy, but I would like to make a living doing what I enjoy & get to use the benefits (i.e sick days, vacation, etc) they say we have.

Now, I work for a company (out of locating) where I get scheduled breaks, a lunch, all sorts of perks with stock options & insurance discounts but the work is SOOOO boring, most days I feel like eating the business end of my .38!

I've inquired a few times about jobs back in the industry but I believe maybe my reputation is preceding me a bit. Oh, and I refuse to drink the SM&P cool-aid. (there's my mouth getting me in trouble again!!)

Oh well... at least I sleep well at night...
    Amen again, brothers! The great irony of this business ( at least what I've seen with USIC..) is that in order to be sucessful you have to be three things:

- A motivated self starter

- A concientous person who cares about team members, and customer needs

- A person who strives to improve his environment to a point where they can respond to whatever comes at them efficiently

And if and when you find you are that person, I can almost guarantee you are going to be fighting management more than any other job you've ever had in your life.

So the question is this: Is it you? Is there something wrong with you? Your character, or your attitude?

No.

The company will say: Yes, we need to do somthing about this guy. He has a bad attitude, he is a cancer in this crew. We need to cut him out. How did he get here? We don't hire people with problems like this. " He used to be such a nice boy, he used to cut my lawn".

This happens time and time and time again.

You show me someone who's been with the same company for over three seasons, and I'll show you one of two people:

- A tech who tows the company line, and is rewarded with a psuedo- responsible set of duty's, effectively making him a sup in training / modifiying.

- A "difficult" tech, who used to be one of the best ever guys, but somehow made a wrong turn somewhere and needs to be dealt with before things get worse.

So the equation is the same. Over and over and over again. Year after year, company after company.

The moral of the story?

Hire, and promote mediocre people.

They are the only ones who work out in the long run.

So USIC is in essence, screwed. Screwed by their own desire to hire and retain "quality locators."

If they indeed have the desire to be the " World's Greatest Locating Company", they had better rid themselves of existing " quality locators", both veteran and trainee before it's too late.

Unless, they have a better idea that is....

[QUOTE=frostypeters;6900]AMEN to that brother!!

Frosty, it's USIC kool - ade now. Wild stuff. The flavor changes from day to day, so you can't put your finger on it!
    Last edited by shovelhead; September 7th, 2008 at 10:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast