Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seriously considering a CDL to freedom...

Years of Experience
    na

Default Seriously considering a CDL to freedom...

My enthusiasm is really waning after all these years of doing this grunt work...

I guess I need a new venture after being whacked a couple times...

I have had a desire to drive a truck OTR to see our wonderful country for quite a few years as one of lifes experiences for better or worse, at least for awhile...

Hell anyone can fall back on painting the ground but what if there was a possible rewarding experience to be had that you would always regret not making the attempt???And not just for the money...Guess we know this already...I may have felt that at locating way back but the human spirit to experience more can only be denied for so long...

So I am silently on the verge of picking up a CDL at a community college when the class comes available at the first of the year then contacting a firm to be further trained and "hit the road JACK"...
    Just think pictures of traveling experiences at work instead of well we all know...

Yes I will bring my trumpet, a fold out chair, music stand, and a tin cup at truck stops maybe at a town near you...

I joined the Marines and did this locating crap for years on a wim...So what the frik...They may have shrunk from lack of use over the years and felt like somebody tried to remove them since I ve been locating but there still there I think???

I see younger ground pounders on the horizon willing to overtake this old dog...More agility a virgin attitude and less dinero... So all you old timers beware...Brush up on your suck up...And try and survive on those worn hobbled limbs...

I can still hang if I apply a couple pounds of force on that gas pedal...

What I m really gunning for is a few years experience and trying to land a shuttle bus job with the feds at a national park just like the one I was recently at in Harpers Ferry last weekend...Perks Pay Benis -just a lovely pasture is the goal...

The tool of opprtunity the CDL of course...The simplist easiest way off the roadside...

Yes bring on the pasture position and one where Im left alone with my own responsibility thats all...What more could an old locator ask for???

USIC1 over an out...

Last edited by USIC1; August 3rd, 2008 at 12:06 AM.

Default Re: Seriously considering a CDL to freedom...

USIC1... good luck to you if you decide to take that route... but remember ... the grass is always greener on the other side... weigh the pros & cons on this... of course, a good locator can ALWAYS find a job... so leaving the field to go for a dream shouldn't be too detrimental... other than loss of accumulated vacation time (... oh ... what is that?) However, if you have lost you drive & are now in the "I don't give a crap" mode... then maybe it IS time for a change... (For the sake of the protection of those plants you locate, there is nothing worst than a locator who doesn't care...)... if anything to make sure you don't have any regrets!

I took about 3 years off and it really helped me in my prespective of things and I did pursue a desire of mine.... I just didn't have enough capitol for the demands that a new business needs the first couple years.... so the paint fumes called me back and here I am again.

But if that is your desire... then I say "GO FOR IT", but leave on good terms, 'cause you never want to burn bridges!

Years of Experience
    na

Thanks...

YES!!! a sincere effort in protecting the limited reference established over the last decade...

PRIORITY NUMERO UNO!!!

As for the rest - "out of site out of mind" "no love lost" "been there done that with a good track record for years" and all that kind of stuff...NEXT!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

Are you acually going to leave this time you have been leving for 9 years and havent left yet you know you belong here

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    Are you acually going to leave this time you have been leving for 9 years and havent left yet you know you belong here
    If I get the right phone calls after my foot work while on vacation yes...

A clean damage slate and one utility even prior to the driving job...

Why sweat the risk of being let go with 2 strikes already...

I will have to pay a 100$ a month more for a month to month lease...

The chess board pieces are getting squirrely...

I want a stable job with less ground pounding...

Maybe a one facility company will offer that...

If not the shortest path to a reasonable income (like NO rent otr everything in storage) is calling...

Just wait til Fios gets here and you have to mark all that crap... They will cram that in anywhere and everywhere...

I talked to a guy where it was just rolled out without any rhime or reason...Drops running way down streets because of the limited hand hole installs and a piles of unlabeled coils of excess drops in hand holes that have to be pulled out and apart...Some of the fiber isnt even metal jacketed ...So they have to fish tape the conduit to tone it...

Yeah thats what I want to do in the future...

I dont think so...

Then stop talking about it and do it! This forum is for LOCATORS!
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

SIC 1, if LD driving is a dream of yours , gofor it! If you have no family obligations it's not a bad life. However, be prepared to eat lots of greasy food, shower in restrooms used by 100's of other folks(flip flops and disinfectant spray are a must), dodge all of the idiots out there on the freeways, sit in one spot all week-end waiting for your next load on Monday. Oh yeah, be sure you can sleep in a truck stop where there are trucks moving in and out all night. All this for about $35-to $45k a year. Oh, have you heard all the claims of $75k a year? Only with 10 or more years at the same company can that be attained and then only on the best dedicated routes. Again, being on the road 300 + days a year has it's advantages but it has it's disadvantages also. Good Luck!
    And LL, I don't think it would hurt to hear from The Sic1 occasionally, even though he bailed out of this industry we all 'know and love'
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Sorry Spray and USIC1! Guess I'm not in a great mood today!
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Years of Experience

good luck brother whatever you decide...career path change will not be easy at first...it seems easy until you realize how good you had it at the old job.....think carefully about all the pros and cons......long term and short term?????if you have wife and kids still at home i would vote against it!!!!!!!! that is my opinion
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    16 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLeatherneck View Post
    Then stop talking about it and do it! This forum is for LOCATORS!
    U A LOCATOR LADYJARHEAD ?????? Ummm but you gab on here daily

Not any more! Used to be!

Years of Experience
    na

I got a big fat -0- in the wife, kids, family, girlfriend, close friends, category...
    My last close friend committed suicide...

SO I could care less where I live as long as its cheap and I can save money...Live the almighty rat race dream of the next dollar bill...

OTR for a awhile or if that doenst pan out some other form of CDL driving...We put up wiith driving already, office secretary, marathon hiker and risk taker anyway...

I think Im well primed for the task...

Bring er ON!!!

A buddy of mine went OTR for a a few years, then found a job he liked driving a concrete mixer. Pay and overtime very similar to seasoned locators, but not near as much stress.

Years of Experience

my brother likes it .....a company that hauls power poles back and forth to different places.........the sky's the limit in that field...like you said you can always come back to locating if need be.....the money is far better in that field.....can you afford to buy your own truck??? or wil you have to drive for someone else???? owning your own truck pays far better but comes with hassles of it 's own.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    na

Well just got word and settling on plan B for now...Locating just one facility for a little less in a bigger city with alternate possibilities...

Maybe a little less stress doing 1 utility and the thought of advancement in the area could be a motivator...

Real WORKING women instead of trailer tramps!?!!?!?!

Can I handle that????

Maybe things are looking up!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast