Thread: Senior Techs and other rambling

Years of Experience
    retired

Default Senior Techs and other rambling

Does anybody believe in the concept of a "senior tech?" If you do, or if you are one, put it out there: What qualifies a locator for this lofty title in your opinion? I mean, who do YOU call when you're stuck scratching your head (besides giving up and calling the contractor)? Or are YOU it, you're "where the buck stops?"

IMHO tenure has nothing to do with it by itself but goes hand-in-hand with the amount of locating experience you get by lasting longer than a year.

See, even though some of these middle mgmt jobs at USIC just got done away with / merged, a locator should be inspired to move up if he / she wants to. And there's only so many supervisor positions. Where else can we go if we're aiming to move up?

I am qualified to be a trainer in my opinion, but THEY will never let me be one. I am not one of THEM. And a distinguished 'viner once asked me if I want to do claims, but I just didn't think that was where I wanted to go.

Maybe it's time to move on...
    "Aye, verily hath I spoken." - Thor, god of thunder

Default Re: Senior Techs and other rambling

Experience is what anyone has to rely on a tech may earn the title with enough of it. In my case the buck pretty much stops with me but others may be consulted regarding locates to truly figure out what the hell they were truly thinking during the install of the problem utility

Years of Experience

If your talking about a lead tech. Years in doesn't qualify a person. I've seen plenty of 10+ year locators that can't troubleshoot a nasty locate and I've seen plenty of 2-3 year techs that can.

As far as running into something that won't tone I just get creative. Normally where theres a will theres a way. the funny thing is normally the things that give the most problems have to be located in unconventional ways. Ways the company frowns on.

Years of Experience

we don't have anyone here with that title but there are some techs here that could hold that title.....i agree with golden.....wetboots become the senior tech yourself....ask ask and contnue to ask until you get it......practice and again and again till you master it yourself.....i'm afraid you're going to learn all the best ways to locate yourself.....you seem like a thinker to me and that is a good thing......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    retired

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    ...practice and again and again till you master it yourself.....i'm afraid you're going to learn all the best ways to locate yourself....
    I think that's kind of my point, yahoo. I DO consider myself a senior tech and there are guys who call me when they get stuck. You should see some of the stuff I've gotten located! (as have we all - no disrespect intended)

I just wish that meant something to others, I am not aware of management recognizing that working particular areas are tougher than others. Or, they're like "well, he doesn't get hits... must not be a bad area to run" when it is only BECAUSE I am here that the hits don't happen.

The only reason to create another position between supervisor and locator is to have another patsy to blame things on when things go south.

Years of Experience
    retired

Quote Originally Posted by cablemagne View Post
    The only reason to create another position between supervisor and locator is to have another patsy to blame things on when things go south.
    Yeah I could see that. I honestly would just like to be a troubleshooter if possible though, that seems to fit my mindset. Got a problem? Get me on the case to help out, I can spend the time doing it. Routine tix are a hassle, I already have had my focus narrowed by my supervisor. See, that's what I think a senior locator should be. Better than most, takes the time to do it accurately. Of course, my productivity would be in the crapper... not that it isn't already.

Years of Experience

hey wet boots............i believe ..like me you love this job and the freedom that comes with it....you will never get the respect you deserve no matter what you do in this life but you will always have a wonderful feeling of being able to help another locater in distress.....use that feeling to lead you in this life and in time......you will be the leader that you so desire.....everyone says be careful what you ask for....????? i think that statement is worthy of some thought.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wet_boots101 View Post
    That's what I think a senior locator should be. Better than most, takes the time to do it accurately. Of course, my productivity would be in the crapper... not that it isn't already.
    hey wet boots............i believe ..like me you love this job and the freedom that comes with it....you will never get the respect you deserve no matter what you do in this life but you will always have a wonderful feeling of being able to help another locater in distress.....use that feeling to lead you in this life and in time......you will be the leader that you so desire.....everyone says be careful what you ask for....????? i think that statement is worthy of some thought.....
    Hey boots - I laughed out loud about your productivity in the crapper. I'm a member of the same club! But as yahoo wisely stated - "Be careful what you ask for!" I'm a member of that club also..........

A "Senior" locator is a rare species. Yes, I believe myself also to be one of them. As the Golden one said, we have learned how to do some PITA (pain in the ass) locates. Of course not using conventional means. I would say there may be only 5-6 per district. We are the one's even the DM's let do our jobs. We are the ones that the sups ask for advice.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.