Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Sayings to live and work by

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Sayings to live and work by

This thread is for those sayings we follow as guideposts to life and work.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Sayings to live and work by

Once a job goes wrong things tend to keep going wrong, proceed slowly, thoroughly and check everything twice.

Years of Experience

Half measures tend to lead to full failures.

Years of Experience
    17 years

It is better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed at all.

Years of Experience

Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life
    I had to give up drinking so I still have two more left.
    Wingfoot and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

One of my favorites.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Aristotle
    Kramit69 likes this.

Years of Experience

"Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" A favorite of mine when dealing with "emergency" fence tickets etc.
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Don't get TOO greedy

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life.
    I had to give up drinking so I still have two more left.
    ‘Marry a rich girl. You can always love her later.’

---- Wingfoot's earliest “Life's Mentor,” Harlan Tewes.

I didn't listen to Harlan. I married twice for love. So, just as ProfessionalLocator, I also have two more left.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yahoo likes this.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I weighed my Remington 870 shotgun, 20" barrel, extended magazine and fully loaded it weighs less than the ViVax receiver.
    -ProfessionalLocator from thecablevine

Once a company starts not trusting the employee it all goes down hill.
    -Mke from thecablevine

I could relocate to USIC at the coast but I'd rather be homeless then work for them.
    -[HAF]Foxtrot from thecablevine

lately .........every locate is the most miserable.....got to where i cant stand the job anymore....just working to pass the time these days
    -yahoo from thecablevine

Anyone who works for free after hours, or works anytime off the clock, is flat out crazy. I do not care how badly you need or want the work
    -Bad Robot from thecablevine

Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    -ifinditunderground from thecablevine (vermont proverb)

Exactly what I was thinking. No it doesn't get better , it only gets worse because the more you learn the more you see what goes on and the more sick and disgusted it makes you. If you have opportunity you should get out.
    -6feetunder from thecablevine

A shovel doesn't fit my hand.
    -Turk182 from thecablevine

I'm finally DONE with the contract locating world. It doesn't matter what company you work for, what was once a worthwhile trade, worthy of respect and dedication, has become a field in which companies spurn talent in favor of cheap labor (usually with no brains), with no consideration for quality or integrity.
    -RD_Wrangler from thecablevine

Unfortunately, most of the larger locating companies that work under contracts are not concerned about quality as much anymore, they are more interested in production and revenue, since they have underbid their contracts to the point where a locator has to bust his butt and take shortcuts in order to keep the bosses happy.
    Go damage free for a year or two and you wont get much recognition, but let your production drop below the "goals" as set by your sup and see how quick they start harassing you and talking junk.
    I operate on the following "Nobody notices what I do until I stop doing it"
    -locator_smbk from thecablevine

I have frickin had it. Maybe I should just move on to something else. This short staffed, 12 to 17 hr days, all tickets past due, 300 miles a day, covering 2500 square miles, USIC bullcrap is for the birds. There is absolutely no excuse for this shit.
    -SteveDodds from thecablevine

Don't get me started on USIC! I would not be able to quit! I've never seen such an unprofessional organization in all of my 50 years on this planet!
    -LadyLeatherneck from thecablevine

Your analogy of a club in the bag is a good one. We always say it is a "Tool in the Toolbox" and you need to know how and when to use it for it to be effective.
    -GWJ_CAS from thecablevine

As I posted earlier I interviewed with unibar who got the windstrean contract in my area and they offered 14.00 top pay for 18 years in the field and a chevy subcompact to drive F U
    -orangeboots from thecablevine

USIC is for stepping stone purposes only. Get in, get trained, get experience, get paid, get out. Simple.
    -Locating Infidel from thecablevine

I was installing satellite dishes when I was offered to plow in phone drops by an old high school buddy. After a few years, I was ready to get a "real job" so I jumped into locating (yeah, I know. Ha-ha). At one point, I racked up drivers license issues and took a job as a forklift jockey/shipping clerk in a warehouse. I was good at it but the great outdoors kept calling so I got back into locating for several more years. I haven't been an actual locator for a while now. Been taking jobs doing pole maintenance and annodes for subcontactors in the summer and struggling through the winters. Living in USIC country, I don't see myself doing it again anytime soon. That stench just won't wash off so I'm thinking of going back to warehousing for job security reasons. It's pretty bad when you'll consider working at Wal-Mart to being a USIC locator but that's about where I'm at. I don't know why I come here and bother you real locators anymore. It's a state of mind, I guess.
    -daman1 from thecablevine

As I said before, in my opinion, those in the top positions of contract locating have generally never done it, therefor, underbidding to them means they need to push their workers to produce more.
    I remember one time being on a conference call with one of the major powers in the company who looked at numbers and compared 2 employees, saying one was not producing nearly enough, and wanted to let them go. My response was that employee also travelled at a minimum of 30 to 40 minutes between locates due to the immense size of their area and the locates being spread out. I explained that I would be happy to change the grids to make the area smaller, and have another locator drop in production to fill that other void.
    The response was we aren't changing the grids, so they need to do more.
    It really was impossible for them to do any more tickets in the area, so I would give some road grading tickets to them to help them out once in a while
    -sauroke from thecablevine

I'd eat a bucket of dicks before I'd go to work for USIC. Idle time restrictions, poor pay, extremely bad management, constant GPS monitoring, no bonuses, constant lies from supervisors, terrible benefits, reduced PTO, ridiculous micro-management...... ETC.....No thanks.
    -biffmalibu from thecablevine

Ticket : 1306171551 Date: 06/28/2013 Time: 19:34
    State: IN Cnty: CLARK Twp: UNION Cityname: MEMPHIS
    Address : Street : RAILROAD ST Cross 1 : WASHINGTON WAY Within 1/4 mile: Y
    Location: LOCATE THE ENTIRE PROPERTY AT 15720 AND 15724 RAILROAD STREET - PLEASE PAINT AND FLAG :
    Work type : INSTALLING A FENCE AND GRINDING STUMPS
    Done for : ***** RESIDENCE
    PER **** **** - ONLY FRONTIER NEEDS TO RETURN AND CORRECTLY MARK THE PROPERTY - CALL ASAP WITH ANY QUESTIONS AND AN ETA - THANK YOU -------LOCATOR DID RESPOND AND MARKED PROPERTY TODAY 6-28-13 BUT DID NOT MARK THE NE CORNER OF 15724 WHERE FRONTIER LINE RUNS - THANK YOU
    -jwarren from thecablevine

Synergy 1.. No one likes you lol
    -solidsnake from thecablevine

You guys are letting them run your life. It's not your responsibility to get all those tickets done. It's your sup. if you actually did your job by the book you wouldn't get anything done.
    -USIC82 from thecablevine

I have funneled many prospects to the USIC website who had zero experience in the utility field. Many I referred possessed enough good qualities, I thought, to be a successful locator even without the utility experience. Not one I ever referred to the USIC website ever interviewed! Not one ever got a response USIC ever received the inquiry! WTF?
    -Wingfoot from thecablevine

As a former trainer... you burn out. I used to spend 90% of my time in two dysfunctional offices. The training program was dictated to me. The new hires were not of my choosing. I could look at a class of 8 and know that all of them would not last more than a few weeks. The local managers expected a miracle training program that would allow them to hire the first 10 people who could pass a drug screen, and they would magically be able to locate 30 tickets a day in 2 weeks. I memorized... not just truck numbers... but RD400 serial numbers in Memphis. I was re-issuing the same stuff so often. I trained no less than 60 people in one year for a shop that was full staff at 22. Nashville was even worse. Production goals were 4-5 tickets an hour with 2-5 clients per. Most of the locations were not on maps. I had to teach them to do perfect locates by the book, but we all know what you have to do to hit production like that. I had a conscience... and I got sick of sending lambs to slaughter. There is no replacement for a skilled locator in an area they know. Those of you who have been around a long time know that you learned new things for years... sometimes standing over a hole with that sinking feeling in your gut. The companies bid too low, and expect too much, and bite on too many gimmick ideas that some "outsider" has to increase productivity. This business has a 2 year learning curve to true proficiency, and a turnover rate that doesn't mesh with that fact. If you think that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place as a locator, try being a trainer... a career path that chews up the best of the locators at a turnover rate similar to a start-up contract.
    -stretch from thecablevine

I will get off my soapbox now. I am mad at this company for playing with people lives and they will get someone hurt or killed and then I will speak up.
    -UULC from thecablevine

And my absolute favorite.....saving the best for last:

Default Re: Confession of a "Burned" Locator
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is.
    -AULupstate from thecablevine
    Wingfoot, Kramit69 and phoenix827 like this.

Years of Experience

I have to admit ....those were some good ones ! That guy really did his homework PL !
    Wingfoot likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Turning negatives into positives...

"I always fail to disappoint..."

Years of Experience

Man who run behind car get exhausted.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Heh thanks Yahoo. I did put some time into that big response, perhaps in the future I will make a new thread called "best quotes on thecablevine" and people can showcase thier favorite quote from a member that was actually said on the vine.

You guys are lucky to have this website...alot of people on here are deeply knowledgable of thier craft. And thier quotes are always providing of fresh mental nourishment...
    yahoo, daman1 and Wingfoot like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast