Thread: S&N Locating speed alerts

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default S&N Locating speed alerts

S&N has turned back on the GPS speeding alert feature and automatically issues email alerts to management when an employee brakes the speed limit by a preset speed. A basically good system but it does have a serious fault. If you are traveling on a road, say a highway at 55 mph, and go over an overpass where the intersecting road has a speed limit of say35 mph it sometimes reads the speed limit of the crossing road and issues a false speeding alert.
    This also can happen when it reads the speed limit of a road you are traveling parallel to.

The known faults with speed alerts require the supervisor to check the validity of each speed alert. This is done by checking the exact location of the vehicle at the time alert was given and then the last timed location before and after the alert. This determines what road you were on and from there determine what the speed limit is.

Also the database for a stretch of road my be wrong and issues a false speed alert. The location of the speed alert must be found and from it get the latitude and longitude of the location. Then you put the latitude and longitude into google maps. Next switch to satellite view then to street view so you see the road from the driver's view. Now you move up or down the road until you can see a speed limit sign. This is far less common.

There is also a maximum allowable speed that will generate an alert regardless of the speed limit of the road you are on. So if you are going 70 or 71 mph on a 70 mph road and alert will be generated. The supervisor must check these alerts to determine if they are valid.

Some supervisors did not know how to do this. Currently there has been a reduction in the number of supervisors leaving them with a higher number locators per supervisor. In addition many manager positions were eliminated leaving them under direction of a regional manager. This leaves
    supervisors with less support. The supervisors have less, if any, time to check speed alerts.

If you get written up on a speed alert where you know you were not speeding and it looks like one of the software faults I have described you need to ask supervisor to check the validity of the alert. If the supervisor refuses then you must email HR demanding to have speed alert checked
    and have the disciplinary letter removed from your record.

Years of Experience

Default Re: S&N Locating speed alerts

If I were a supervisor for them I would not do it. Sometimes you have to do the right thing no matter what the company tells you to do and let the chips fall where they may. I'm sick of the managers saying there is nothing they can do. YOU TOOK THE JOB-STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT!

Years of Experience

S&N and Heath Consultants both use Element to track GPS.

Heath has had their speed tracking on since day 1. Supervisors have to check each speeding email and fill out a report on why the tech was speeding. Usually it's highways, so they just say the system has it wrong no matter what. Absolutely no going over 80, even if the speed limit is 75 and you're just going a bit faster.

It will think you're randomly on the service road next to a highway if they're too close also. Those look weird because it may track for a bit before correcting. I got an email about me doing 70 on a 30 side road for about 1000 feet one time. More paperwork for the sups.

Especially good cloudy days will fuzz up the GPS sometimes. I drive with my own GPS receiver on my laptop for navigating in Street and Trips and it'll sometimes show me going into fields for a bit, or shows me randomly going sideways through downtown because of high rises blocking signal. I've also seen Element show guys randomly 50+ miles away from their area when I'm right next to them.

Does S&N also receive the "driving out of hours" alerts and 30 min idle reports? I think some of Heath also has Geofences for alerts when leave area due to troublemakers.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
    If I were a supervisor for them I would not do it. Sometimes you have to do the right thing no matter what the company tells you to do and let the chips fall where they may. I'm sick of the managers saying there is nothing they can do. YOU TOOK THE JOB-STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT!
    Huh? Are you saying that if you were supervisor and aware of a glitch that produces false alerts you would discipline employees without checking if the speed alert was valid?

Maybe a typing error but that is the way your reply reads.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mattm211 View Post
    S&N and Heath Consultants both use Element to track GPS.

Heath has had their speed tracking on since day 1. Supervisors have to check each speeding email and fill out a report on why the tech was speeding. Usually it's highways, so they just say the system has it wrong no matter what. Absolutely no going over 80, even if the speed limit is 75 and you're just going a bit faster.

It will think you're randomly on the service road next to a highway if they're too close also. Those look weird because it may track for a bit before correcting. I got an email about me doing 70 on a 30 side road for about 1000 feet one time. More paperwork for the sups.

Especially good cloudy days will fuzz up the GPS sometimes. I drive with my own GPS receiver on my laptop for navigating in Street and Trips and it'll sometimes show me going into fields for a bit, or shows me randomly going sideways through downtown because of high rises blocking signal. I've also seen Element show guys randomly 50+ miles away from their area when I'm right next to them.

Does S&N also receive the "driving out of hours" alerts and 30 min idle reports? I think some of Heath also has Geofences for alerts when leave area due to troublemakers.
    Overall the gps tracking is very accurate. I have tested it on parked vehicles and found it accurate within a car length. It will sometime put the speed limit of a parallel road onto the speed report. When you punch in the gps coordinates into Google maps it will correctly show vehicle on main road.

Geofencing is not usable because so many locators go out of area to cover work. My northern Virginia office had techs going all over the state and out of state for years. Even now they are sending techs from all over Virginia to Charlottesville Va. As well as techs from Georgia and Virginia to North Carolina.

Driving out of hours use of vehicle is also a difficult alert to use because of overtime.

Idle time alert is set at 20 minutes and is generally a good thing. We have some techs who will leave a vehicle running and work a rear easement. There are two problems, first is many of the older vehicles may not start again, especially with the flashing lights and computer on. Another is such a heavy ticket load that tickets about to go late they are required to call a request an extension. I had spent as much as two hours a day making these phone calls.