Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: S&N / C3 / Virginia

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    70
    Years of Experience
    8
    Rep Power
    11

    Post S&N / C3 / Virginia

    S&N is parting ways with their sub contractor in the Virginia Beach area on May 10th and will be taking it back in house in that area..
    I hear this is due to excessive damages and not being able to pay the bills for them..

    On May 15th S&N is taking over the Dominion Power contract from USIC to finish it out due to pressure from the State Corporation Commission.
    Im assuming Cox isnt far behind as well as Llumos.

    S&N now has Verizon, Comcast, Virginia Natural Gas, Southside Electric, Rappahannock Electric, Shenandoah Television, Mid-Atlantic Broadband, Bluefield Gas and Appalachian Natural Gas in Virginia.. I may have missed a few?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: S&N / C3 / Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTracK View Post
    S&N is parting ways with their sub contractor in the Virginia Beach area on May 10th and will be taking it back in house in that area..
    I hear this is due to excessive damages and not being able to pay the bills for them..

    On May 15th S&N is taking over the Dominion Power contract from USIC to finish it out due to pressure from the State Corporation Commission.
    Im assuming Cox isnt far behind as well as Llumos.

    S&N now has Verizon, Comcast, Virginia Natural Gas, Southside Electric, Rappahannock Electric, Shenandoah Television, Mid-Atlantic Broadband, Bluefield Gas and Appalachian Natural Gas in Virginia.. I may have missed a few?
    We also have a gas contract in Ohio. The main reason this contract was pursued, in my opinion, was to give the company a track record of marking gas. I know we bid on a contract and the client said we were not considered because as a company there was no experience marking gas.

    When S&N started they did subcontract C3 to mark Verizon phone in the Virginia Beach area. This cut down on start-up costs as S&N Locating is now only a little over three years old.

    My estimate was that the subcontract to C3 would one day be ended and S&N Locating would take over that area. Yes S&N is taking over the Verizon subcontract from C3. Most of the C3 locators are being signed up with as S&N as full time employees. The support departments like HR and Payroll will have almost their entire staff on site in Virginia Beach this week to process all the paperwork.

    I do know we bid on the Dominion Power contract but that an actual start date as not been announced. Nor has it been announced that we at S&N were actually awarded the contract.

    Dominion Power is also marked by Utiliquest in the north part of Virginia.
    If we get that southern part of the state my estimate is that puts us in position to take over the north part of Dominion from Utiliquest when that contract comes up for renewal.

    As you see there has been a lot of growth for only having started with one contract three years ago. That one starting contract was Verizon. Verizon was looking for a single source provider of both underground installation and marking. So S&N Locating was formed to get the Verizon contract. Since then it has done nothing but grown.

    The rapid growth of S&N Locating stretched the limits of the original command structure. Before there was an Operations Manager and under that position the local office managers. The Operations Manager is now in charge of a newly created higher position. (Congratulations Steve!) Under that is the Operations Manager and then the newly created Regional Managers with the office managers below them.

    There is no change for my supervisors position but I understand my assigned pick up truck is being replaced with a corvette.
    yahoo likes this.

  3. #3
    Member Millertime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    56
    Years of Experience
    9
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: S&N / C3 / Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    We also have a gas contract in Ohio. The main reason this contract was pursued, in my opinion, was to give the company a track record of marking gas. I know we bid on a contract and the client said we were not considered because as a company there was no experience marking gas.
    I have heard from a few S&N locators in Ohio that took over the gas contract from Premier and they have the same thoughts as me on moving into Ohio. One is the experience marking gas and the second is that it gives them a foot hold in the north half of the state to snag a few more contracts up that way to expand. Most of that area is hung onto by USIC.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton

  4. #4
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: S&N / C3 / Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
    I have heard from a few S&N locators in Ohio that took over the gas contract from Premier and they have the same thoughts as me on moving into Ohio. One is the experience marking gas and the second is that it gives them a foot hold in the north half of the state to snag a few more contracts up that way to expand. Most of that area is hung onto by USIC.
    Anyplace USIC or Utiliquest has a contract the other contract locating firms are circling like sharks.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    70
    Years of Experience
    8
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: S&N / C3 / Virginia

    Were picking up Dominion Virginia Power from USIC May 15th.. As in finishing out their current contract that they were pretty much forced to abandon..
    Its been announced to the USIC locators in my area from their management as well as our (S&N) Richmond & Piedmont locators from S&N management.

    Lets just say everyone at the Virginia State Corporation Commission should have nice Christmas bonuses this year thanks to USIC.

    After thats finished a fresh contract starts to a bidder..Which will most likely be S&N..

  6. #6
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,515
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    112

    Default Re: S&N / C3 / Virginia

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTracK View Post
    Were picking up Dominion Virginia Power from USIC May 15th.. As in finishing out their current contract that they were pretty much forced to abandon..
    Its been announced to the USIC locators in my area from their management as well as our (S&N) Richmond & Piedmont locators from S&N management.

    Lets just say everyone at the Virginia State Corporation Commission should have nice Christmas bonuses this year thanks to USIC.

    After thats finished a fresh contract starts to a bidder..Which will most likely be S&N..

    I had heard this as well, but not as an official announcement so I treat it as rumor until the big boss sends out the word. I have heard of some other things in the works but until the boss releases it in a public announcement best I say nothing. Some things given out too early may allow a competitor to get in on the action. There are enough rumors floating around. I just hope the one about getting a marking contract in the Bahamas is true, I want a transfer!
    yahoo likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
A 'Rook Media' Website