Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Routing your tickets.

Years of Experience

Default Routing your tickets.

How does everyone route their tickets? I got a real nice map of my area from the city hall and took it to a local office shop and had it laminated. I use a dry erase marker and dot all my tickets. Each day I use a different color so I can keep track of the start dates. This seems to work great for me but I know everyone does things differently.

If I have under 25-30 tickets I just route them off the top of my head but any more tickets than that I dot them out. It just makes it easier. If I get called off my route to an emergency I can just look at the dots on my map and route myself from where my emergency was.

streets and trips
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    streets and trips
    Do you enter every address in manually? I've been averaging around 100 tickets a day. I can't even imagine typing in all them addresses into the computer.

If I'm working in an area I don't know I use the map routing program our company provides for us. The problem with the program is that if the ticket is on a long street that runs the lengh of the city the dot on the map can be 5 miles away from where the job actually is on the road.

I can route about 10 tix every minute. I'm in an old area where the addresses all exist. I used to do the same thing you did, but was told I had to use streets and trips. I would get written up if I didn't
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    I can route about 10 tix every minute. I'm in an old area where the addresses all exist. I used to do the same thing you did, but was told I had to use streets and trips. I would get written up if I didn't
    What was their logic behind writing you up for not using streets and trips? Had you previously botched up a route or something? Out here they brief new techs on how to route themselves but pretty much let everyone handle their own route in whatever manner best suits them individually. If they were to write you up for something so small I'd hate to see the disciplinary actions taken for something serious.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

In wyoming about half of the streets are not in streets and trips ... makes it really hard for people from out of town to lend a hand so I have some laminated maps like goldie but people come to help and don't return them to me so i am almost out ....

When I first started at SM&P I would spend about an hour marking everything out on the Delorme map program. After I became familiar with my area I stopped using it. The utility I'm with now has Map Point tied in with FAAR. But it's accuracy depends on how accurate they are at DHL.
    Last edited by Mr Blunderbuss; May 20th, 2008 at 06:48 AM.

The problem with the program is that if the ticket is on a long street that runs the lengh of the city the dot on the map can be 5 miles away from where the job actually is on the road.
    I think that's a DHL problem. We have a similar routing system as you do and the map label does not match where the actual address is.

Here in my own area I use a Mapsco(city st guide) but in Ok they have a system set thru Streets and Trips that shows a separate list of all tickets with the addresses flagged on a map and numbered in an order that makes most sense to the computer. You don't have to follow it but when you're just there for the weekend it's a helpful tool.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    What was their logic behind writing you up for not using streets and trips? Had you previously botched up a route or something? Out here they brief new techs on how to route themselves but pretty much let everyone handle their own route in whatever manner best suits them individually. If they were to write you up for something so small I'd hate to see the disciplinary actions taken for something serious.
    I pissed off the DM. So he had it in for me for quite a while. I would get written up for just about anything. I didn't botch any route. Just had a botched DM (no longer employed)

Years of Experience

streets and trips also ...........can route 60-100 tickets in about an hour whether from memory or using the address router or using the lat. and long. have to do this every time i go out of town

Years of Experience

Most of my area is congested where you have several tickets in a cluster near each other rarley do I have to look at a map unless I go to another are I am not familiar with sadly I have worked every are we have so I dont need much for a map these days

Years of Experience
    na

I routed my tickets so well I ended up back at the house-

Ok so it s a little earlier than I wanted...

Maybe I ll do a drive by at Wallys or somethin'...

Streets & Trips, Garmin and paper maps. Last resort ask a cop.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Streets & Trips, Garmin and paper maps. Last resort ask a cop.
    good one dude!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast