Thread: Road signs....ugh

Default Road signs....ugh

i've heard through people at MDOT and one of the contractors that is bidding on the jobs, we have about a 200 mile + sign project coming next year. tickets will read "stake "x"ft radius of all road signs between cross streets." i hate those. also in our 12 county area, there is another 70 mile or so sign project for bid too. 9 guys, 12 counties. already tight, that's gonna suck.

oh, plus a 14-20 mile road recon over the next two years.

mind you, these are areas where ATT has not installed anything but a drop of a fiber since the 80's. and there's usually 2-3 cables on one side and a cable on the other, with an occasional fiber.

"be glad you have a job!" - always a great motivational slogan

any big projects you're dreading you know of for next year?

Default Re: Road signs....ugh

They are taking bids to install 1,900 street signs in Plano , Texas by next March. It's a 3 - 5 way area. These are all new - not replacements.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I feel your pain, the only thing that you can really hope for is that some of those signs will be on existing structures (Light poles, power poles, over passes, etc...) but that will still only cut out maybe 5 to 10% of the hole ticket. Hopefully they will mark the locations, around here its hit and miss depending on the crew.

Good Luck

Mke

they paint the signs. but they replace every sign. this highway is a 35mph - 55 mph highway that goes through many towns. every side street gets new stop signs and stop ahead signs. every no parking sign (the circled and /'ed out "p"), everything. it will really suck.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Kinda makes you think you are in the wrong business. We should be in the sign makin' business.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Quote Originally Posted by Benzie and Beyond View Post
    they paint the signs. but they replace every sign. this highway is a 35mph - 55 mph highway that goes through many towns. every side street gets new stop signs and stop ahead signs. every no parking sign (the circled and /'ed out "p"), everything. it will really suck.
    Is that on 131 or M72 by any chance?

Years of Experience

Hey Benzie - I feel your pain........... My heart bleeds for those poor Michigan inmates that have to punch out those thousands of signs for this project........... NOT!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Around my area safty alert does not mark or white line for signs .What i cant understand is the dot never calls in sign tickets /since these a//holes work for ncdot they want to call in tickets a 100 at a time....Then they want the locators to go measure off these areas for sign placement basically do there job for them.....

Years of Experience
    30+

Got a ticket today to mark both side of road for 2000' for sign placement. Called them and told them to go out and mark in white and it will get marked.

Quote Originally Posted by HPMadness View Post
    Is that on 131 or M72 by any chance?
    m-22 from manistee through onekama, frankfort, empire glen arbor, northport, suttons bay, and back down to traverse, m-72 from empire to traverse, and all the other state highways in leelanau. also, m-37 from us-31 to old mission in the penninsula of grand traverse. then on an unrelated project, m-66 from kalkaska to mecosta.

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    Got a ticket today to mark both side of road for 2000' for sign placement. Called them and told them to go out and mark in white and it will get marked.
    good idea. sometimes i've found it's better to nicely ask, i worked a few years, but i've got a great repor with a few road comissions, and they only are calling in what they need now, not a 1/2 mile for a culvert (really annoying), and i've got the main contact guy's cell numbers with an ok to call about any.

also, a local gas company's main guy, harold, i can call him on any tickets he's got, he'll tell me the earliest he'll be there, what side of the road the main is on, and he'll work around a day or two if it's just not possible for me to make it there. his office ladies don't really know much about the field, and call everything in as both sides of road no matter what, and calls about 7 addresses in at a time, which harold told me to call him if that ever happens, and he'll make the ladies re-call them.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

My friend called a contractor who called in a large extent. When my friend called him to see if he could shorten it or go out and mark off th area needed with white arrows. The contractor responded the following " You want me to go out and walk out 1200'

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

I had a contractor call in 12 tickets for sign placement on one of my projects. he called in each corner of the intersection to be located in 700' in each direction... all this for 6 signs... I ended up going to the company they were installing the signs for... and they showed me exactly where the signs were to be installed. when I told them how their sub had called in the tickets.... they, themselves were pissed.....

This isnt nearly as bad, but what is it with landscappers and the need to call in whole yard when they are planting one or two trees , in some of the more well to do neighborhoods with privacy fences and a ped in different yards, it gets to be annoying,.... I suppose though after reading some of your locates, i should just thank my lucky stars lol.

Years of Experience
    enough

Quote Originally Posted by Benzie and Beyond View Post
    i've heard through people at MDOT and one of the contractors that is bidding on the jobs, we have about a 200 mile + sign project coming next year. tickets will read "stake "x"ft radius of all road signs between cross streets." i hate those. also in our 12 county area, there is another 70 mile or so sign project for bid too. 9 guys, 12 counties. already tight, that's gonna suck.

oh, plus a 14-20 mile road recon over the next two years.

mind you, these are areas where ATT has not installed anything but a drop of a fiber since the 80's. and there's usually 2-3 cables on one side and a cable on the other, with an occasional fiber.

"be glad you have a job!" - always a great motivational slogan

any big projects you're dreading you know of for next year?

Is "Action" in there name?